Sign in to follow this  
The Ghost of Percy Varco

Your favourite defeat?

An unusual question I guess but have you a favourite defeat as a Norwich fan?I suspect the 2nd leg of the playoffs where we lost to Wolves will be hard to beat and certainly my personal favourite with all the Wolves fans in tears telling their team that they had let them down again. Shame.

Bizarrely, the 6-1 defeat to Man City.Up until 75 min and Toure''s introduction, we were going at it hammer and tongs in an unbelievably entertaining game. The football from both teams was a joy to behold.What sticks in my mind, is that all of the crowd stayed to applaud our boys off the pitch. They had given everything. The crowd recognised that.

[quote user="The Ghost of Percy Varco"]An unusual question I guess but have you a favourite defeat as a Norwich fan?

I suspect the 2nd leg of the playoffs where we lost to Wolves will be hard to beat and certainly my personal favourite with all the Wolves fans in tears telling their team that they had let them down again. Shame.
[/quote]

Sorry old bean I don''t understand your banter - the terms ''favourite'' and ''defeat'' are mutually exclusive! [:D]

The 1-0 defeat to Inter in Milan, with half our team out through injury and suspension. I particularly enjoyed the roar from the Inter fans when, after about 10 minutes, they finally got the ball into our half, and our fans cheering back ironically.

A hypothetical one would be losing to a team that gives them points to stay up.... at Ipswich''s expense.The wolves one is good, but technically we won that overall. For an out right loss, the Leeds away game in League 1... I was at Elland road and it was sickening to lose in the last minute to a miss kick from the keeper, but we dominated them for 90 mintues, looked far the superior side and frankly should and could have won that 3 maybe 4-1 instead, whats more Leeds were the media darlings so it was good to basically play them off the pitch infront of the tv cameras and lose to simply bad luck. It was the moment I really believed we would go up as Champions and that the club had turned a corner.

The one that got me stuck onto Norwich. The Liverpool loss with the Fashanu goal.

Stephen Hughes played a blinder that day too. What became of him? I was disappointed when he went.

My favourite in a weird way was the Colchester game. I got a weird sense of ''this is all a big joke, why do i even take this seriously any more'' and it felt like a pressure had been lifted off my shoulders. (They say you experience a light relief in freezing to death, i suppose that''s a bit comparable!)

Needless to say, we got our respect back and i got my passion for the club back again.

I really enjoyed the game at old trafford this season. We were relatively safe after a good win versus Everton and even sitting in the Man U end, i could enjoy the game.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]The 1-0 defeat to Inter in Milan, with half our team out through injury and suspension. I particularly enjoyed the roar from the Inter fans when, after about 10 minutes, they finally got the ball into our half, and our fans cheering back ironically.[/quote]

That and the bafflement of the heavily-armed riot police who had been expecting (hoping for?) trouble from English football hooligans and ended up looking rather sheepish with nothing to do.Plus the icecream on sale outside the ground was delicious.

I agree with you Herman.

I had been following City for 6 years when the game was played, but I remember it as a fantastic game full of excitement from beginning to end - and 8 goals.

We had a real go at Liverpool - who were totally dominant at the time.

And of course it had Justin Fashanu''s never to be forgotten goal. (The next time you see the replay look for Alan Hansen turning his back as the ball whistles past his head on its way into the corner of the net).

Bizarly, the 6-0 loss to fulham on the final day.

I was still young, had traveled with my family to fulham. but it was the first game where a loss felt like a cut to me. it was the first time we had been in the prem since I was probably only a few months old.

I had been disappointed when we lost in play offs in seasons before, but not like that.

one thing that always sticks out is a fulham fan coming up to my family saying "don''t worry, Norwich are a good team and will be back in 2 seasons time..."

what a F**king liar! ;)

[quote user="SYG"]Colchester[/quote]

Would go with that too.  I don''t get to all the games these days, living away, but being there on that day had a special significance.  A historical match in the story of our club- and I was sitting near the front behind PL.  Can remember the contrast of   Lambert., 5-0 up and still shouting, urging on his players - and Gunn, standing there on the touchline in the second half (wasn''t  he in the stand during the first half?), not able to do a thing about it.

The most memorable defeat I can remember and curiously,  good memories - a terrific atmosphere at the beginning, full house, everyone positive after a great pre-season and then - boom!

"Our home defeat to ManCity this season. A 7 goal thriller, with a red card, plenty of drama and unexpected turns. Felt lucky to be there."

Yeah this, for the following reasons.

Didn''t feel too bitter after the game, they gave it there all.

19/04/2009, Ipswich 3-2 Norwich - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpDQGg30AxUSmug binners had sent us down, but in hindsight, at our lowest point this was the catalyst to finding Lambert and launching through the championship and to the Prem. At the time, I was fking gutted though.

This season tho it has to be the Man City game, Norwich 3-4 Man City. Had the full monty. Goals, end-to-end, loud atmosphere from both supporters. Kudos to whoever threw the 50p coin that hit Joe Hart at full time aswell from the Barclay! [:|]

last day of the season of 1986/87 season, 1-0 defeat at home to Everton which meant that they won the league pipping Liverpool on the final day.....still bitter (and am even to this day) over Liverpool and their fans causing us to be kicked out of Europe both 2 years earlier and indeed as it turned out at the end of the 86/87 season..... I certainly didn''t shed any tears at this defeat..

The 1-6 vs Man City. My eldest son & I agreed that Norwich had played really well. We lost to an amazing team on top form that day. Seemed strange to say we enjoyed it - but we did!

Either the 6-1 defeat to Man City last season - it boosted their goal difference which helped them nick the title from Manure

Or the 7-1 defeat to Colchester - it got rid of Gunn and got us Lambert. I''m not very critical of Gunn though as he was a great player and also got us Holt. However, if he did stay on as the manager I don''t think we would have gone back up

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]The 1-0 defeat to Inter in Milan, with half our team out through injury and suspension. I particularly enjoyed the roar from the Inter fans when, after about 10 minutes, they finally got the ball into our half, and our fans cheering back ironically.[/quote]yeah, this was the game of the missing Ians, Butterworth, Crook and Culverhouse.  still, i agree that this is an impossible position.