Sign in to follow this  
stewfil

Lambert's signings for Villa

Just looking at the list of Lambert''s signings for Villa (some of them very good).

I wonder how many of those signings would have been with Norwich had Lambert have stayed or were they from the Villa scouts?

In defense if we''d signed Vlaar, Lowton and Bennett instead of Bassong/Turner, Whitaker and Garrido we''d have been relegated..

In midfield if we''d signed El Ahmadi and Holman instead of Tettey and Snodgrass we''d have been relegated..

Then you''ve got Bowrey against Butterfield, give me the latter any day of the week..

Okay, Benteke would''ve been nice, but with the signings above I doubt his goals alone would''ve been enough to keep us up..

With the signing of Wolfswinkel confirmed earlier this year, I''d take Hughtons 12/13 dealings over Lamberts every single time.

look where they''ve been placed all season, they''re very lucky to have not gone down.. If Benteke wasn''t such a beast, and Agbonlahor didn''t find his form at the vital time they would''ve been..

In my opinion if we''d have taken villa''s summer dealings instead of our own we''d have been relegated.. would you swap Bassong, Tettey, Snodgrass, Whittaker and Garrido, for Vlaar, Bennett, Lowton, Ahmadi and Holman?

Hopefully Wolfswinkel turns out to be Hughtons Benteke.

Lowton and Bennett have been dreadful all season it was the return of Vlaar that galvanised the Villa defence and was more likely the reason for them not going down than Bentekes goals. Didn''t matter how many Benteke scored Lowton and Bennett always contrived to let the opposition score more.

Hadn''t Vlaar already turned us down while Lambert was here because he had never heard of us? And I thought most of the groundwork on butterfield and Snodgrass was done before Hughton arrived, so would have been here anyway. Hughton just gave the green light to them.

Reykjavik Canary wrote the following post at 17/05/2013 4:30 AM:

@post above. Then why did Villa not get relegated with those signings?

Why would we get relegated with the same players Villa did not get relegated?

Because Villa already had an established Premiership team with about a dozen internationals before the signings.

[quote user="Zak Burger"]Lowton and Bennett have been dreadful all season it was the return of Vlaar that galvanised the Villa defence and was more likely the reason for them not going down than Bentekes goals. Didn''t matter how many Benteke scored Lowton and Bennett always contrived to let the opposition score more.[/quote]Maybe that''s true (although I think you''re overstating it), but how much better do WE look when Bassong is playing as against when he isn''t?Vlaar has the experience and ability to help players like Bennett and Lowton, much like Bassong helps R.Bennett and even turner as well.Also, both of those lads have promising futures ahead of them, and PL is giving them the gametime and experience now so that in a year or two they could potentially have one of the best young defensive lines in the league.I won''t defend consistent shoddy performances, but they haven''t been that bad, and with a bit more quality in and around them they would likely have done much better, even if they''d still made some silly mistakes through inexperience (much like R.Bennett and players like Ayala did for us).

[quote user="Reykjavik Canary"]@post above. Then why did Villa not get relegated with those signings?

Why would we get relegated with the same players Villa did not get relegated?[/quote]

Errrr........because Villa signed Benteke perhaps?

With their defence and our forwards a team would struggle to finish above Reading.

[quote user="STAN"]can u sit down please was forwarded "the list"[/quote]

He was asked to approve it.

The difference is going to be next season.I think Lambert is honest when he says he has little money to spend. - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22556883On top of that I think Villa might struggle to keep Beneteke and Weimann. Weimann has a year left and hasn''t signed the contract they''ve offered him, and Benteke''s 19 premier goals means that the bigger teams are going to be interested.

[quote user="Icecream Snow"]I think Lambert is honest when he says he has little money to spend. - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22556883[/quote]Yes, that move to ''big money'' Villa is going exactly to plan for him isn''t it [:D]

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Talking of Villa, what has happened to players like Dunne, Given, Ireland, Bent?[/quote]

Dunne has had big injury problems, I think.

Given has seen his best days and Lambert pretty quickly sussed that Guzan is now the better ''keeper.

I think it''s fair to say that Ireland''s attitude might not be quite as it should be. Though I did wonder if Lambert would get the best out of him again but it seems not.

As for Bent he is just isn''t suited to the system Lambert wants to play. Benteke is his man and he plays to suit him. Plus Benteke has got more to prove than Bent and it shows. Hard to see them getting back much of the money they spent on Bent.

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="Webbo118"]

[/quote]

Check my accuracy throughout the years.
[/quote]

Regardless of whether he was on the list or not, there is no way Norwich could have afforded the £7m for him and I doubt Benteke would have wanted to join Norwich.

I think it is more the increase in stature rather than the increase in money that attracted Lambert to Villa.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="Webbo118"]

[/quote]Check my accuracy throughout the years.[/quote]

Regardless of whether he was on the list or not, there is no way Norwich could have afforded the £7m for him and I doubt Benteke would have wanted to join Norwich.

I think it is more the increase in stature rather than the increase in money that attracted Lambert to Villa.

[/quote]

Certainly not unless we had persuaded him (''When I joined Villa I didn''t know where they played. I thought they were a London club!") that Norwich was next door to Islington...

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="Webbo118"]

[/quote]But yet we have spent £9m on RVW out of this seasons budget......Bassong is on similar wages to Benteke imo. BAssong was from Spurs, Benteke, Genk. Both played Champions Lge.Lambert has also cut Villa''s wage bill by 30% acc to their supporters so he cant be on a bank breaking amount.

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="Webbo118"]

[/quote]But yet we have spent £9m on RVW out of this seasons budget......Bassong is on similar wages to Benteke imo. BAssong was from Spurs, Benteke, Genk. Both played Champions Lge.Lambert has also cut Villa''s wage bill by 30% acc to their supporters so he cant be on a bank breaking amount.[/quote]

Yes, but that was out of the money deliberately held over from the summer for the January transfer window. Spending that much in the summer on top of what we shelled out then for Snodgrass, Bassong etc would almost certainly have left us with nothing for January. And that would not have been sensible.

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="Webbo118"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

But yet we have spent £9m on RVW out of this seasons budget......Bassong is on similar wages to Benteke imo. BAssong was from Spurs, Benteke, Genk. Both played Champions Lge.

Lambert has also cut Villa''s wage bill by 30% acc to their supporters so he cant be on a bank breaking amount.
[/quote]

I think that is a case that the Sky money is drip-feed on monthly payments - that cash wasn''t there in the summer to spend but possibly was by January (I also think the budget was increased on the fact Norwich looked pretty safe by Christmas).

Even if the money was there last summer (which I doubt). I really don''t think Benteke would have joined Norwich.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Lowton & Bennett were on our list as was a certain Belgian forward.[/quote]

Alex McLeish stated in an interview not so long ago that Benteke had been identified as a transfer target before Lambert took over.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="Webbo118"]

[/quote]But yet we have spent £9m on RVW out of this seasons budget......Bassong is on similar wages to Benteke imo. BAssong was from Spurs, Benteke, Genk. Both played Champions Lge.Lambert has also cut Villa''s wage bill by 30% acc to their supporters so he cant be on a bank breaking amount.[/quote]

I think that is a case that the Sky money is drip-feed on monthly payments - that cash wasn''t there in the summer to spend but possibly was by January (I also think the budget was increased on the fact Norwich looked pretty safe by Christmas).

Even if the money was there last summer (which I doubt). I really don''t think Benteke would have joined Norwich.

[/quote]Fair point Bethnal and i dont disagree. BUt most transfers are paid in installments so it poss couldve matched that.IF we did go for him, (being hypithetical of course) we would have had £2m left over (diff between Benteke & RVW) plus money we potentially would have saved on Becchio, Kane & Kamara.We were all crying out for a forward in preseason, it would have made us so much stronger.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="Webbo118"]

[/quote]

On the contrary, Bethnal. I don''t know if the budget was increased but the fact that we made in January (when prices are high) two £7m bids was almost certainly because deep down we didn''t think we were safe!

[quote user="Lord Snooty"][quote user="can u sit down please"]Lowton & Bennett were on our list as was a certain Belgian forward.[/quote]

Alex McLeish stated in an interview not so long ago that Benteke had been identified as a transfer target before Lambert took over.[/quote]So can we say that Snodgrass was a lambert signing then?

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="Lord Snooty"][quote user="can u sit down please"]Lowton & Bennett were on our list as was a certain Belgian forward.[/quote] Alex McLeish stated in an interview not so long ago that Benteke had been identified as a transfer target before Lambert took over.[/quote]

So can we say that Snodgrass was a lambert signing then?
[/quote]

Only because he''s half decent, no doubt Butterfield is a Hughton signing....

It''s a bit like managerial appointments, Delia appointed Gunn, Grant, Roeder and McNally appointed Lambert. Still waiting to see who appointed Hughton..

[;)]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="Webbo118"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

But yet we have spent £9m on RVW out of this seasons budget......Bassong is on similar wages to Benteke imo. BAssong was from Spurs, Benteke, Genk. Both played Champions Lge.

Lambert has also cut Villa''s wage bill by 30% acc to their supporters so he cant be on a bank breaking amount.
[/quote]

[/quote]

On the contrary, Bethnal. I don''t know if the budget was increased but the fact that we made in January (when prices are high) two £7m bids was almost certainly because deep down we didn''t think we were safe!

[/quote]

Wasn''t the £7m a number made up by a fake Twitter account? So much drama this January I can''t remember what is true or not anymore.