Sign in to follow this  
Renskay

Arouna Kone release clause of £6.5m

Would he be worth it?

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/arsenal-liverpool-target-kone-has-wigan-escape-clause-3957605#.UZUg7qKR_pk

No. Or maybe.

Don''t think Hughton wants two strikers as his main formation (and before anyone starts bleating on about negative formation, it isn''t. Simple.)

So RVW will be main striker, we have other areas to strengthen, not sure we''ll spend that much on another striker. Unless Holty leaves.

I think I''d have to agree in a no.

He is a 29 year old striker who has had 2 consecutive ''good'' seasons but before that spent 5 years of being catastrophically awful.

So in my view it just presents to much of a risk for that amount of money.

...Though if he signs for some other club of similar size to us and scores a hatfull next season I could be proved very wrong.

[quote user="Renskay"]I think I''d have to agree in a no.

He is a 29 year old striker who has had 2 consecutive ''good'' seasons but before that spent 5 years of being catastrophically awful.

So in my view it just presents to much of a risk for that amount of money.

...Though if he signs for some other club of similar size to us and scores a hatfull next season I could be proved very wrong.[/quote]Must say I thought he was older than that. £6.5m seems steep but if they would take nearer four then yes.

It''s a lot of money for a 29 year old I agree but having watched him a few times, and especially in the fa cup final, I would say he''s a massive step up from any of the strikers we have on our books, rvw excepted, lets not forget some on here seemed to think holt was worth £6-7m last summer, that being the case then kone would definitely be worth £6.5m. Different league to our talisman

Scored 11 Premier League goals this season. Is quick, strong and good in the air. I''d take him at Norwich but not for £6.5 million. Would be happy with Kone or Hooper.

Would rather have holt than kone. How can you say kone is in a different league delta bravo?? How many goals did holt score last season and how many did kone score this season?? Holt offers so much more than just goals when he is on form and give him the service his performances levels would rise. Kone would be a good signing at about £3-4m and no more.

I say it because its my opinion, nothing more, nothing less. I honestly don''t think holt is up to it anymore, he is not (again my opinion) a premier league striker. Kone is a threat much different to anything we have and out of the two I would take kone every day of the week. Tin hat on, but for a start he''s not 2 stone overweight

Ok fair enough delta. This is I guess what the message board Is about having our own opinions. I''ll stick up for Holt until the cows come home because I believe Holt is still one of our best players.... But then that''s my opinion.

[quote user="delta bravo"]I say it because its my opinion, nothing more, nothing less. I honestly don''t think holt is up to it anymore, he is not (again my opinion) a premier league striker. Kone is a threat much different to anything we have and out of the two I would take kone every day of the week. Tin hat on, but for a start he''s not 2 stone overweight[/quote]I am not advocating Koné, but I''m afraid the idea that Holt is still a Premier League quality striker - and will be next season - is based on sheer sentimentality. In the games I''ve seen (which is only half a dozen or so but spread over the season and against a representative selection of opponents) he has posed virtually no goal threat in open play. He didn''t against WBA until calamity struck. I understand all the arguments - which have some validity - about Hughton''s system - but the main problem is that Holt is in decline. No matter what the system a striker has to frighten defences; Holt doesn''t any more.Even his touch at setting up other players (I remember a sublime lay-off that gave Surman a chance against - I think - Villa in our last game last season) has deteriorated.The surprise is that fans might be surprised. He is a heavyweight 33-year-old and was never going to be a Teddy Sheringham-type player, going on and on.

Well purple canary your post says it all really, you can''t even get his age right he''s 32 not 33 : )

How has he posed virtually no goal threat when he''s scored 7 goals his season with very limited service/chances??

[quote user="hazza9"]Well purple canary your post says it all really, you can''t even get his age right he''s 32 not 33 : )

How has he posed virtually no goal threat when he''s scored 7 goals his season with very limited service/chances??[/quote]

You are right. He is 32. I was looking ahead to how old he will be at the end of next season and put in the wrong age for now. But I didn''t say he posed no goal threat. I said in the games I have seen he has posed virtually no goal threat in open play, and he hasn''t. Of course this is a matter of opinion, but I can''t help thinking that many of those who say he is still a PL-quality player are blinded by sentimentality.

Kone is technically a very good player and I rate him highly but good forwards will be frustrated under Hughton IMO. 

before we look at another striker, we need a connecting midfielder and someone to slot in behind RVW.

but, if we were going to throw another 6.5m into a player, I would much rather someone such as Joze Altidore (more likely 4-5m) than Kone.

and our forward players didn''t look frustrated last weekend, did they?

[quote user="delta bravo"]I say it because its my opinion, nothing more, nothing less. I honestly don''t think holt is up to it anymore, he is not (again my opinion) a premier league striker. Kone is a threat much different to anything we have and out of the two I would take kone every day of the week. Tin hat on, but for a start he''s not 2 stone overweight[/quote]

I thought you were posting sensible stuff untill that last comment

I''m convinced he''s not fit, he looks too big, I said it in pre season and got shot down for it. He''s always big in pre season, he''ll get fitter and slimmer as the season goes on etc etc. Well this season he never did, and that has had an effect on his performances which for the most part haven''t been good enough. As an ncfc fan I actually feel very let down by they guy this season, after the way he behaved in the summer we deserved to see him come back fitter than ever. He didn''t, he came back out of shape and has remained so all season. I''m grateful for what he did for this club in the 1st 3 seasons but now it''s time to move on to better standard of player. He won''t be here next season and I for one and not disappointed about that

The broadcasting deal will act to further inflate player valuations. I''d welcome Kone at £6.5m. However, if we persist with one up front - presumably vdw - Kone may get bored very quickly. For the record I think we should keep Holt as a third or fourth striker but we do need options, not the least to cover for injury and, dare I say it, if we ever decide to play two strikers.

Kone would make a good squad player back up.  If RVW and Holt are the main two strikers - and I believe Holt still has something to offer - Kone would be a good third choice.      Holt and Kone are completely different type players and Kone would fulfil the Jackson role.  I always thought Jackson might feature more, but Kone would be more of a threat than him in that role of a pacey striker - maybe good off the bench.     We are looking to upgrade and I don''t see Kone as a first choice striker in the new world -  but added to the squad? Definitely.

[quote user="delta bravo"]I''m convinced he''s not fit, he looks too big, I said it in pre season and got shot down for it. He''s always big in pre season, he''ll get fitter and slimmer as the season goes on etc etc. Well this season he never did, and that has had an effect on his performances which for the most part haven''t been good enough. As an ncfc fan I actually feel very let down by they guy this season, after the way he behaved in the summer we deserved to see him come back fitter than ever. He didn''t, he came back out of shape and has remained so all season. I''m grateful for what he did for this club in the 1st 3 seasons but now it''s time to move on to better standard of player. He won''t be here next season and I for one and not disappointed about that[/quote]

What actual evidence do you have to support these statements? You will probably say "my eyes" but when was the last time you paid Specsavers a visit?

[quote user="delta bravo"]I''m convinced he''s not fit, he looks too big, I said it in pre season and got shot down for it. He''s always big in pre season, he''ll get fitter and slimmer as the season goes on etc etc. Well this season he never did, and that has had an effect on his performances which for the most part haven''t been good enough. As an ncfc fan I actually feel very let down by they guy this season, after the way he behaved in the summer we deserved to see him come back fitter than ever. He didn''t, he came back out of shape and has remained so all season. I''m grateful for what he did for this club in the 1st 3 seasons but now it''s time to move on to better standard of player. He won''t be here next season and I for one and not disappointed about that[/quote]

As was said, if you believe that you''ll believe anything.

The reason you got shot down preseason was that in both home games, Holt repeatedly lifted his shirt and the state of his body was obvious. 

You refused to accept what I and others saw.  Your choice.

But this is the Premier League.  Hughton has no debt and no loyalty to Holt.   He has shown himself quite willing and able to discard and ignore other players he inherited.   The Board has been full of complaints about how players have not had a chance under Hughton.  Colney is full of sports scientists and technicians.  The players are monitored daily.  They have to have less than 12% body fat.

If Holt was overweight and unfit, do you really think that the club and Hughton would have tolerated that?   Do you really believe that they are such amateurs that they would risk survival on a fat unfit player?   If Holt was as you say then he would have disappeared from sight.   Hughton is ruthless where players are concerned and he would have stuck Holt in the bench or got rid if Holt was abusing his body.

Of course, you know better from your seat than Hughton and all his support staff who see Holt daily and have his stats before them don''t you?

His age is the only thing that would put me off about Kone because we''d probably never get back the money we spent on him. I don''t think we''re likely to be able to sign another striker notably better than him.

If he came in and scored 15 Premier League goals for us next season then it''d be money very well spent.

But I''m sure he won''t be short of offers and I don''t expect him to come here.

Cambridge canary - I have never once said I''m right, I''m giving my view which I thought on a forum you were allowed to do. Every time I have watched him this season, which is over 30 times, I have not been convinced that he is fit enough or good enough to be a premier league striker, some are so blind to anything potentially negative about holt that its embarrassing, he should be moved on and better players brought in, he doesn''t want to be here anyway and will be sold in the summer, you will have to find a new hero I''m afraid