Sign in to follow this  
unique

No excuse for a slow start next season

Next season is unprecedented. Four of the top seven established teams in the PL will be starting with a new manager.

Sunderland''s and Southampton''s are still relatively unproven. The managers of Stoke and Newcastle are wanted out by their fans. West Brom''s and Fulham''s, thanks to their second half of season performances, are having their credentials questioned.

That only leaves a certain stability at Arsenal (although Wenger is possibly in ''last chance saloon''). Liverpool, Swansea, West Ham, and to a lesser extent, Villa.

After two consecutive seasons in the PL, Norwich need fear no club in this division. Positive football from the start, and there is absolutely no reason for Norwich City to be involved in the relegation battles next season.

So after only 2 seasons in the PL we''re indestructable?

Yeah, because that helped Wigan after all those seasons in this league, didn''t it?

And last i checked, the managers aren''t on the pitch playing football themselves. The players are still the same.

Just because a club has a new manager doesn''t mean they suddenly become a bad team.

Oh and well done for piling on the pressure for next season before this one is even done.

Genius.

Surely it depends on the fixture list.Personally I''d like to play Liverpool at home early on (during Suarez suspension)Get Fulham away out of the way soon as well. Really wouldn''t want that fixture lingering towards the end of season as it''s always been a tough one for us.Then of course get some of the new boys early on as we should pick up a few points there. Get us rolling.Wouldn''t mind Swansea as our first game back. Swansea vs Norwich is quickly becoming one of the best fixtures in the Prem. Something like 20 + goals in the games we''ve played each other in the Prem so far. Mad !!

Reading Canary,Good post. The impact that the fixture schedule has on momemtum is really important. I think West Ham would have struggled without their favourable starting fixtures whilst Reading never recovered from their difficult start. Having said this, we did it the hard way round by not picking up points in the winnable early fixtures and then starting oru run vs the harder teams.

How many points denotes a slow start ?  10 points in 10 games will be considered good by Hughton IMO.

Indestructable?..... Who said that?

Piling on the pressure?.....I''m sure Hughton reads these boards....

All I''ve pointed out is the potential vulnerability of many of the teams at the start of next season....

Are you a jerk all of the week, or just on Thursday nights?

[quote user="paul moy"]How many points denotes a slow start ?  10 points in 10 games will be considered good by Hughton IMO. [/quote]Change the record ffs… you''ve become THE most tedious bore.

We seemed to be ok with having a very new manager in the summer of 2009

I suspect the OP is desperate to come up with something to start a thread aboutMaybe we could look at how not having to play sikky little clubs in Lancashire (Wigan, Bolton, Burnley, Blackburnm Blackpool) could enhance our chances against the big ''Lancs'' clubs.

Or why are there no Yorkshire clubs in the PL but there are two Welsh clubs ?

And why are most of the teams in the top half of the PL in first half of the alphabet ?

ps we''ve nearly 3 more months of these kind of threads

[quote user="Andy Larkin"][quote user="paul moy"]How many points denotes a slow start ?  10 points in 10 games will be considered good by Hughton IMO.
[/quote]

Change the record ffs… you''ve become THE most tedious bore.
[/quote]

Couldn''t agree more Andy, CH was given the job of keeping us in the Premier league, He has done that, Would PL have done it? I rate C H higher than our previous  manager and think next season we will be top half finish, so Can we just look forward to a 3rd season in the prem, History has already been made, Enjoy 

[quote user="City1st"]We seemed to be ok with having a very new manager in the summer of 2009

I suspect the OP is desperate to come up with something to start a thread aboutMaybe we could look at how not having to play sikky little clubs in Lancashire (Wigan, Bolton, Burnley, Blackburnm Blackpool) could enhance our chances against the big ''Lancs'' clubs.

And why are most of the teams in the top half of the PL in first half of the alphabet ?

ps we''ve nearly 3 more months of these kind of threads[/quote]

In the summer of 2009 our manager had already been in charge for 19 league games with a record of 5 wins, five draws and nine defeats, and a relegation at the end of it. I don''t think all fans thought that qualified as looking OK for the season ahead.

We could have a much changed squad and several new starting players - that may take a while to bed in.

The table starts to sort itself out by the end of oct - about 10 games - and we need to be outside the bottom 5 by then,  which means a minimum of 10 points from those 10 games.   I am hopeful of that being combined with a much improved passing game and better creativity,  but if we are winning thats all that matters. 

My Lord! So CH is a better manager then PL? So PL would have had us relegated if he was still here?

Of course we must all look to the future but when I continually read the nonsensical comparisons I despair

"In the summer of 2009 our manager had already been

in charge for 19 league games with a record of 5 wins, five draws and

nine defeats, and a relegation at the end of it. I don''t think all fans

thought that qualified as looking OK for the season ahead."

oh dear

the clue is in the words very new .......... (do keep up)

"We seemed to be ok with having a ''very new'' manager in the summer of 2009"

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]My Lord! So CH is a better manager then PL? So PL would have had us relegated if he was still here? Of course we must all look to the future but when I continually read the nonsensical comparisons I despair[/quote]

Would I rather have Hughton than Lambert? I think I would, I would rather Hughton spent 30m of our money than Lambert

"We seemed to be ok with having a very new manager in the summer of 2009"

Not relevant.

The post was about the PL, and that adds extra pressure to any new manager.

You could, of course, used the example of Hughton last season....but that would have endorsed the opinion that a new manager is likely to take time to bed in.

Would you not better spend your time working out the points potential for the remaining games of the season?.......yawn!.....it would appear to be your interpretation of an interesting post.....yawn!.....

[quote user="City1st"]"In the summer of 2009 our manager had already been

in charge for 19 league games with a record of 5 wins, five draws and

nine defeats, and a relegation at the end of it. I don''t think all fans

thought that qualified as looking OK for the season ahead."

oh dear

the clue is in the words very new .......... (do keep up)

"We seemed to be ok with having a ''very new'' manager in the summer of 2009"

[/quote]

The clue is in this thread being about starting a new season. And we started 2009-10 with Gunn in charge.

err noit is about the start (the clue is in the title) of the season, which we can assume by the words ''slow start'' refers to the opening games, as no games would hardly be a start would it ?but then you knew this but chose to twist this so as to have a personal dig at mepoor you

Unless I missed something, Purple is correct we did start with Gunn for two games, one in the leagu and the other in the cup, so I''m confused to what your trying to add to this thread City1st?

As for slow starts, we don''t tend to win the first game of a new season, not sure what season we did actually win the 1st game.

Have to agree that the start depends on the schedule.

I really don''t care about the start, it''s about the finish, and like this season staying clear of the bottome 3 for the entire season. it''s not good to think just because it''s our third season we will be OK, it will be as hard as it was this year.

I was,going to say the same thing. Cannot remember when we last won first game of the season. Perhaps someone can remind me.

Actually you have to go back to 2002 for the last time we won an openning league game and that was against Grimsby........so we are slow starters.

[quote user="unique"]Indestructable?..... Who said that?

Piling on the pressure?.....I''m sure Hughton reads these boards....

All I''ve pointed out is the potential vulnerability of many of the teams at the start of next season....

Are you a jerk all of the week, or just on Thursday nights?[/quote]

Not as often as you, making up pointless threads to start passively bashing the team with your high expectations.

"Unless I missed something, Purple is correct we did start with Gunn for

two games, one in the leagu and the other in the cup, so I''m confused to

what your trying to add to this thread City1st?"

slowly

the thread is about a slow start to the seasonthe OP refered to other managers as with ...."Sunderland''s and Southampton''s are still relatively unproven" and further questionED the capabilities of other PL managersthe use of slow start would have been in reference to our initial 10 games that saw few points picked up ie slow starttherefore as we have a manager who supposedly has none of these ''disadvantages those 10 or so games should not be (as last season) a slow starthowever as Lambert joined us at what acceptably is the start of the season and was theoretically unproven ie at Norwich, but didn''t have a slow start then on that basis the OP''s theory is flawed

but again as with PC you knew that but chose to be pretend to be dumb for reasons most can guess

next season will be CH''s second season so maybe it would be a good idea to just forget Lambert from now on , he was great for us but it''s been and gone lets concentrate on the team and manager we have not the one who left months ago ?

Im hoping for Hull or the playoff winner at home, failing that Southampton, Stoke, Sunderland or Newcastle at home.

[quote user="City1st"]"Unless I missed something, Purple is correct we did start with Gunn for two games, one in the leagu and the other in the cup, so I''m confused to what your trying to add to this thread City1st?"

slowly

the thread is about a slow start to the season

the OP refered to other managers as with ...."Sunderland''s and Southampton''s are still relatively unproven" and further questionED the capabilities of other PL managers

the use of slow start would have been in reference to our initial 10 games that saw few points picked up ie slow start

therefore as we have a manager who supposedly has none of these ''disadvantages those 10 or so games should not be (as last season) a slow start

however as Lambert joined us at what acceptably is the start of the season and was theoretically unproven ie at Norwich, but didn''t have a slow start then on that basis the OP''s theory is flawed

but again as with PC you knew that but chose to be pretend to be dumb for reasons most can guess
[/quote]

Sorry City1st, but this thread is not about managers but about slow starts against other teams, Lambert or Gunn or Hughton is of no concern, but the point raised from the start has no bearing on if we have a slow start or not!

More telling will be the teams we play in the first 10 games. As pointed out we have not won our openning fixture in 11 seasons.

I don''t think it will matter who Chelsea, Man C or Man U have in charge we will go out to get a result against any team. It will depend on the fitness of the players, tactics and confidence.

But one thing from me is that I can''t wait till our first game! and this season hasn''t even finished, I have not felt like this for a good few years.

Winning the first game of the season would be brilliant, if not unexpected.

hopefully our schedule can be a magical one. something like Hull (H) - united (A) - Playoff winner (H) - Chelsea (A) cardiff (H) - City (A) Soton (H) Arsenal (A)

get rid of the top 4 away games while having 4 of the newest teams to the prem as the home games.

however the odds of a schedule going our way is next to none.

I would expect next season to be much like this. Top 2, 3 to 6, 7 to 10, and the bottom 10 in a scramble to avoid relegation, with the same fine line dividing the wigans from the norwiches again.

[quote user="City1st"]We seemed to be ok with having a very new manager in the summer of 2009

I suspect the OP is desperate to come up with something to start a thread about

Maybe we could look at how not having to play sikky little clubs in Lancashire (Wigan, Bolton, Burnley, Blackburnm Blackpool) could enhance our chances against the big ''Lancs'' clubs.

ps we''ve nearly 3 more months of these kind of threads
[/quote]

Why don''t you start some interesting threads then? rather than slagging everyone else off ?

Logic In this thread:Fulham & WEst Brom had poor second halfs so Norwich will have a better start than them even though we had woeful form since january. Don''t get OP''s point, seems like he''s clutching at straws.