Sign in to follow this  
stoke canary

Holty on Talkshite with Stan Collymore.....

Said he''s happy at Norwich hardly contributing while raking in the cash.

[quote user="stoke canary"]He is looking forward to next season with .....Norwich City in the Premier League[/quote]What else would he say?

He said the main aim of this season was to stay in the league and that will be the main aim next season.I would settle for that now but how long do you all think that just staying in the Prem is good enough??

[quote user="stoke canary"]He said the main aim of this season was to stay in the league and that will be the main aim next season.I would settle for that now but how long do you all think that just staying in the Prem is good enough??[/quote]Let''s put that slightly differently - How many seasons do you think we need to start challenging for a Europa League place?

People need to accept that we''re never going to be title challengers  or even champions league contenders unless Delia finds a couple of billion down the back of the sofa!

Staying up or becoming a mid table side is the best we can realistically hope for.

[quote user="Jan van Chopsburg"][quote user="stoke canary"]He said the main aim of this season was to stay in the league and that will be the main aim next season.I would settle for that now but how long do you all think that just staying in the Prem is good enough??[/quote]Let''s put that slightly differently - How many seasons do you think we need to start challenging for a Europa League place?[/quote]

Umm, when we get a very wealthy investor?

Best we can hope for realistically is a Swansea/Wigan/Brum cup win. But two of those three have gone down same season. Pompey went down season after they won FA Cup (I think) it doesn''t really seen to bode well for ''smaller'' clubs.

Everton have spent more money that some seem to realise, and have been PL since the beginning haven''t they? Teams like Sunderland, Stoke, Wigan find it hard to challenge. Spend money on ''bigger names'' that then flop or don''t perform to the expected level and they finish lower than season before and with less money. Then look at teams like Newcastle and West Ham. Decent budgets, but both been relegated in recent seasons, and Newcastle close to it again this year despite last season being very good and only losing Demba Ba.

Challenging for a Europa League place isn''t all that easy. The top seven this year, unless Everton crumble with losing Moyes and potentially Fellaini and Baines will be very hard to break into. Swansea and WBA despite fantastic starts/season overall haven''t been able to do it. Liverpool are improving, even if Suarez leaves i''d still expect them to do well, Sturridge is decent down the middle and Coutinho is brilliant.

It won''t be easy to be a team challenging for Europa League place. And without a serious increase in budget won''t happen anytime soon.

Who wants to be in the Europa League anyway? It''s a Mickey Mouse competition where you can qualify for the latter stages by failing to progress in the Champions League. Would you really want our team playing Locomotiv Moscow on a cold Thursday night before a crunch Premier League game?

Yes. I would love our team playing Locomotiv Moscow on a cold Thursday night. Any other night, or if it was just a bit chilly, no way. But a cold thursday night against one of Moscow''s premier teams would be a treat.

P.S

Please not the above statement was of course, sarcastic. Thank you.

[quote user="stoke canary"]He is looking forward to next season with .....Norwich City in the Premier League[/quote]

cityangel is not online. Last active: 10/05/2013 21:45:27 cityangel

Top 25 Posts
Joined on 18/10/2003
Posts 11,481

Lets discuss Grant Holt

Reply Quote

I know we''ve had a good result today against the top of the league so it seems harsh to cast doubt on anyone''s peformance plus I know that Holt was immense for us last season, we love him to bits and he''s scored some great goals in the past.

I also appreciate that he works hard, puts himself about and holds the ball up well but ................ either he''s still not fit so should he be playing or maybe he''s going to find goals hard to come by in this league. Also I dont understand why he spends so much time on the wings when he should be in the box?????

I know he did great for us last season but this league is a whole different ball game for him so do you think he''ll cut it in the championship or do you think like me that we need to get an experienced championship striker in on loan to give him competition or play instead of him with Martin or Jackson if he isnt cutting the mustard?

Whats your thoughts ?

cutting across the thread

did you see the 1908 photos of The Nest that have turned up, young master nutty ?

as you were

Was that the photo that went for £122 on ebay?

Tilly reminded me of that REM song when he said "that''s me in the corner"...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Now what I need to know from any of you who listened on the wireless....

Did Holty sound fat?

[/quote]

As Kathy is in Texas....[:P]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8Ilpm5n4iU

Did Holty sound fat?

[/quote]

I would say no, he did not. However, that may have been the result of his wearing black for the interview, which makes him look slimmer. It was difficult to reach a clear conclusion, however, because it was on the wireless. [:(]

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Did Holty sound fat?

[/quote]

I would say no, he did not. However, that may have been the result of his wearing black for the interview, which makes him look slimmer. It was difficult to reach a clear conclusion, however, because it was on the wireless. [:(]

[/quote]

I wondered if there were any darker tones to the interview that would have helped...

Did Holty sound fat?

[/quote]

sound fat ?stop trying to oppress Holty(see previous thread about large shirts)

[quote user="Kangaroo Court"]Who wants to be in the Europa League anyway? It''s a Mickey Mouse competition where you can qualify for the latter stages by failing to progress in the Champions League. Would you really want our team playing Locomotiv Moscow on a cold Thursday night before a crunch Premier League game?[/quote]You mean the ''Mickey Mouse'' competition that we so famously stuffed Bayern Munich in?The format may have changed slightly and had some of the luster removed due to the appearance of the Champions League but it''s still a perfectly credible international level tournament.Teams this season included the likes of Liverpool, Borussia MNG, Atletico Madrid, Marseille, Stuttgart, Napoli, PSV, Inter Milan, Lyon, Lazio and Spurs - hardly dogs*it teams are they???

Did Holty sound fat?

[/quote]Well, he was breathing quite heavily (audibly) between questions, and the Radio Norfolk studio is on the 2nd floor - that''s a lot of stairs.  I''d suggest he''d journeyed to the studio via the Haymarket McDonalds and then nipped into Cafe Marzano for a "little something".Update: I have just noticed he was on Talk Sport, so clearly wasn''t in the Radio Norfolk studio.  However, Talk Sport would also have stairs in the building and a canteen, and he''s more likely to have used the canteen than the stairs as part of his ongoing quest to invent a new mealtime between luncheon and dinner.Hope this helps [Y]

The Europa League is not a worthy successor to the UEFA Cup. You actually had to achieve something to get in that competition, whereas the Europa League is full of teams who have failed to achieve their objectives. It''s played in half empty stadiums by the reserve teams. There''s a reason why Evra said it would embarrassing to play in it.