Sign in to follow this  
norfolkngood

found this anybody a Norwich city collector ?

It ties in well with the youth winning last night and us staying up then sorts of reminds you of the history / past !

Nice find.

Terrible hand writing mind; "I am having a lovely time. I am looking forward to ??? tomorrow". Can''t make that penultimate word out at all.

I Thought it was the other side of the road as the picture shows the back of some houses which i thought were riverside road ? if you drive up rosary road you can see some concrete i thought that was the big back drop behind the stand ??????

have a look here and see what it becamesome real mad terracing went into that ''cliff''click on link -the nest

To think it was a chalk mine these people were very brave standing like that ! interesting photographs city 1st but I couldn''t find any of the building the nest also I have never seen that disc stating this is the nest where Norwich played still there ?

[quote user="norfolkngood"]To think it was a chalk mine these people were very brave standing like that ! interesting photographs city 1st but I couldn''t find any of the building the nest also I have never seen that disc stating this is the nest where Norwich played still there ?[/quote]

It was more of a ''chalk pit'' than a mine, as they just hacked into the side of the hill to extract the chalk (lime).Not sure about the disk, perhaps someone who lives close by could have a lookSome more stuff here that explains it a bit further. Looks like it was a bit of ''waste land'' and the club laid out a pitch and the terracing sort of grew around it as required, rather than it being planned and constructed like Carrow Road.

click here

[quote user="Aggy"]Nice find.

Terrible hand writing mind; "I am having a lovely time. I am looking forward to ??? tomorrow". Can''t make that penultimate word out at all.[/quote]

It''s "Yarmouth" Aggy....

The blue plaque that tells of the former site of the Nest, is mounted on the wall of a house just past the entrance of ''Scholars Quarter'' housing development,(the former site of Betrams Books). It is in plain view as you travel up the hill from the Riverside Road direction, (on the left).I believe there is the remains of some of the old terracing of the Nest,in a garden of one the houses that stand at the top of the ''cliff'' overlooking the site.(The house was featured in the property supplement of the EEN a few years ago,when it was for sale).

not seen this pic before and shows the ground very early on, and from a different direction to usualbuilding the ground

and this one when it is being usedplaying at the nest

I have never seen either of these pics before and they do rather change the perspective of what I thought the ground was by quite a bit

maybe it''s your browser or something, so if you cut and paste these directly into your address bar they should work

http://sprowstonhistory.weebly.com/uploads/4/4/7/5/4475440/7156080_orig.jpg

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=835139&image=669749877&images=669749877&formats=0&format=0

hopefully

bumping this up as it appears young master nutty has returned from whence he''s been and I''m sure he would not have wanted to miss out on these pics

one which is probably the earliest picture of The Nest (or any City ground)

two posts above

i Emailed the seller (nice bloke ) seemed to know alot about them the one with writting on "the nest " had never been seen before the ones with white had been seen but only around 5 ever made so rarer than canaries teeth ! The seller told me he had offered them to the club (who never bid )and emailed McNally but never got a reply they have been sold to some who is a city fan but lives abroad all 3 which is nice ,

my personal view is that a club that has just stayed in the premiership worth  say 70 mil  ?  and players who earn thousands could not of had a whip round say £10 to 20 quid each and bought them and  kept them at the club after all that''s is where our club had its first stadium and where the club started !

Pretty much my sentiments, if not one of the directors could have perhaps paid if only to allow the club to have (moral) use of the pics - though I believe anything over 75 years is out of copywrite.But as with the 50th anniversary of us winning the League Cup it was completely ignored - a nodding acknowledgement of the success would not hvae gone amiss. Not some slightly patholical obsession as with the dimwits down the A140,but a least some sort of recognition.Maybe some at the club have not the same sort of emotional investment many fans have so it is of no great importance to them.However the two pictures taken from that different angle put a whole new perspective to the Next. The previous pictures always gave the impression that the ground wasprobabled surrounded by four such ''mad'' terraces - and also shows where that rather dangerous concret wall was.Hey ho, each to their own I suppose.

Great pictures that I had never seen before. Does anybody know why that site was chosen for the new ground after Newmarket Road? The logical answer to that question could be it''s proximity to the Railway Station although there was more than one station back then and I believe the City Station was elsewhere.

I always thought that site on Rosary Road a strange place to build the football ground.

My understanding is that the Newmarket Road ground were changing the conditions of the club renting the ground in 2008.As the club had recently turned professional I presume that the suggestion would have been to find their own place. It was the then Chairman John Pyke who purchased the disused quarry (and renting it to the club) -  the clubthen set about clearing the mounds of earth and levelling the ground. They simply pushed it to the side of the pitch and put up a long concrete wall to hold up the ''cliff'' that features is so many photos.Supposedly the closeness to the City centre meant that attendances increased as there was not the cost of a tram fair down to Newmarket Road.  This was still a City club and would not have had spectators from outside of the City.  

That''s the story I heard which was what prompted my question. The site wasn''t really suitable but I guess there were no other options within the city. Norwich has a huge following from the wider county and beyond which is why I wondered about proximity to the train station although the City station was elsewhere.

Not when the club moved from Newmarket Road, it would have been merely a City interest. Maybe after it''s ''reforming'' after WWI and folk getting used to travel there might have been interest outside of the City.I think it was more a case of what was available at short notice (and probably cost). What was notable was that the stand(s) from Newmarket Road were dismantled and taken by horse and cart to the new ground,Some fine stories about fans having to use the Pulls Ferry to get to the game.

[quote user="City1st"]Not when the club moved from Newmarket Road, it would have been merely a City interest. Maybe after it''s ''reforming'' after WWI and folk getting used to travel there might have been interest outside of the City.

I think it was more a case of what was available at short notice (and probably cost). What was notable was that the stand(s) from Newmarket Road were dismantled and taken by horse and cart to the new ground,

Some fine stories about fans having to use the Pulls Ferry to get to the game.
[/quote]

That would make sense. And with the stories about the stands from Newmarket Road and the work needed to get the site ready I would guess it was a community club back then.

It was still a professional club and would have been an absolute oddity in those days. The club had it''s origins in CEYMS who were ''church based'' and professionalism was still regarded by most in sport as rather sordid. Maybe they were not too welcome elsewhere either.They have been as good as thrown out of the local league for professional behaviour within an amateur structure - and I would have expected that those moving the old structures abd clearing the site were paid, and expected to be. We should not be too sentimental about this part of the clubs history. Thsoe breaking away would have undoubtedly be seen as Kerry Packer''s cricket rebels were. The club were travelling around East Anglia recruiting players, paying players under the counter and generally doing whatever it took to become a successful, but professional club.Sport was in general something you did to not only test your skills but challenge your integrity. What City were doing flew in the face of much of that.

Is that the Wensum stand?I have a lot of archive photos - this one''s a good one.  Shame about the large advert, I think people need to move on.[img]http://s20.postimg.org/plls63lpp/139.jpg[/img]