Sign in to follow this  
Snoddys Jockstrap

The striker to party RVW

14 goals in 31 starts.

Voted player of the season for his side.

Completely free.

Already on our books.

Powerful and fast with a dead-eye for goal.

James Vaughan.

Any questions?

[quote user="Javiers Deaf Translator"]to add to MP.

14 goals at second tier level.[/quote]Which is one more than Jackson managed in our promotion season, and he''s since been given 35 or so games in the top flight to prove he''s no better than Champ level, so why shouldn''t Vaughan be given the same chance (especially as he came from a prem side rather than L1/L2...)?

[quote user="Snodds Jockstrap"]14 goals in 31 starts.

Completely free.

Already on our books.

James Vaughan.

Any questions?[/quote]Only one.   Why on earth do you think this is a good idea?

[quote user="Jan van Chopsburg"][quote user="Snodds Jockstrap"]14 goals in 31 starts.

Completely free.

Already on our books.

James Vaughan.

Any questions?[/quote]Only one.   Why on earth do you think this is a good idea?[/quote]Well, apparently both Paul Lambert and Chris Hughton thought it was a good idea to play someone who''s scored less goals than Vaughan at Champ level, isn''t as quick or technically proficient, has the link-up play ability of Gary Doherty and hadn''t come from as strong a club background as Vaughan had, so if that was a good idea, then surely selecting Vaughan this time around should be a no-brainer given the overall context...?

I would definitely give Vaughan his chance next season, I thought he was our best striker pre season last year and was very surprised when he went out on loan.

If he wants to stay I reckon he could be a useful player for us next season. With RVW, Vaughan and a new striker + maybe Holt we''d have a really nice core up front. I think we''d have to work on the theory that he''d probably miss at least 1/4th of the season through injury, but he clearly has a lot of talent.

We would not have a nice core - Jesus.

This season has been atrocious upfront. Yes the wide players and attacking midfielders are critical but we need at least another centre forward to come to compete for that second spot who is actually a threat over the next two to three seasons.

Rvw is exceptional to then fall on to holt is ridiculous. Becchio is a great number three strike option and holt possibly at number four. We need a second striker to come in.

If the attacking wide players are like Kalou in style then three strikers may be enough, I think you need 4.

We have to think Vaughan will be looking for a move, I would happily have him as number 4 if we add quality wingers.

Holty if we can sell will give us some big money in wages to then put on other players.

Yes we have a lot of holes to fill and I think Hughton will have already noted that he needs a number two striker after this season and with jacko and Vaughan probably shipping out depends where the team puts holty.

He is not the talisman anymore new heros have come in driving this team forward. Bassong should be captain next season, we didn''t play through hoops in many games at the end of the season. Certainly last game of the season it was Snodgrass and pilky, so hoops will be that bench player next season.

It honestly will be a great window and our forward line will very much depend on holty and if he stays or goes. I think he can leave on a bit of a high now and we can use his wages more effectively. Last season with lambert going it would not have worked but this season he hasn''t been the player on the field or off the field that we need. But he could leave with our best wishes.

So come on hull, Celtic, boro etc make a bid take him home so we can move our group forward.

I think I''m right in saying his family don''t want to be in Norfolk, so they moved back hence the Loan to Huddersfield, with only around an hour driving time to and from home, Yes I would like to see him playing here next season but think the North is a greater pull on him. If he is to be sold on then nothing short of £4-5mil should be accepted. 

[quote user="smooth"]We would not have a nice core - Jesus.

This season has been atrocious upfront. Yes the wide players and attacking midfielders are critical but we need at least another centre forward to come to compete for that second spot who is actually a threat over the next two to three seasons.

Rvw is exceptional to then fall on to holt is ridiculous. Becchio is a great number three strike option and holt possibly at number four. We need a second striker to come in.

If the attacking wide players are like Kalou in style then three strikers may be enough, I think you need 4.

We have to think Vaughan will be looking for a move, I would happily have him as number 4 if we add quality wingers.

Holty if we can sell will give us some big money in wages to then put on other players.

Yes we have a lot of holes to fill and I think Hughton will have already noted that he needs a number two striker after this season and with jacko and Vaughan probably shipping out depends where the team puts holty.

He is not the talisman anymore new heros have come in driving this team forward. Bassong should be captain next season, we didn''t play through hoops in many games at the end of the season. Certainly last game of the season it was Snodgrass and pilky, so hoops will be that bench player next season.

It honestly will be a great window and our forward line will very much depend on holty and if he stays or goes. I think he can leave on a bit of a high now and we can use his wages more effectively. Last season with lambert going it would not have worked but this season he hasn''t been the player on the field or off the field that we need. But he could leave with our best wishes.

So come on hull, Celtic, boro etc make a bid take him home so we can move our group forward.[/quote]
On what basis have you come to the conclusion that Becchio would be a "great" number 3, whilst Holt would only "possibly" be a 4th choice back up?

Vaughan is still under contract and Jackson isn''t , that''s one obvious thing in his favour. For all the murmurings of him being unhappy ,the lure of staking a claim for a chance at Premership football, must just convince Vaughan to give it another go?.....where else will he get that chance?

...and quite apart from anything else , in my own opinion Vaughan is a better player than Jackson.

Logically speaking Vaughan is actually the closest fit to a RVW backup/understudy that we have on the books. If CH is looking for two players for every position (three for the goalkeepers) then his attributes as an all-round striker could see him retained.

Aggy on performances last season

becchio scored 20 goals for a Leeds team in transition by Xmas, he was there goal machine that many believed holty would be in his second season. He came here and had tow good chances against Everton where he did show his ability in the box but good saves came in. No question his link up play with Howson created a great chance which Howson converted.

Holty never had a run of good games all season. In the months following January he was on the bench and just got yellow cards when coming on for kk. He has admitted he didn''t enjoy a lot of last season and his performances proved it.

Holty Is another year older and defences know his game, they certainly were not intimidated. He looked a different player this season and I am aware that he may have reached a critical point where his form may collapse quickly and if we can shift for £ before then then we have had the best of holty.

I thought the WBA defence handled him very well during the game, he did not dominate them even though it was the worst performance by WBA this season. But this was Holty''s only good performance following the end of the transfer window.

I think becchio has years at the same level he exhibited this year and will score goals in this league. I think holty can score goals in this league but I believe he will become less effectual over next season.

It is my opinion but becchio would be my third choice after a full preseason with holty at number four. It is just the transition of football and our team cohesion as we move away from tyre fitters to some highly talented players.

It is my opinion but I just think this will be a season to far for holty and the wages he is on for this coming AND 2014-15 season do not warrant what he brings on and off the field. This season he has not led this team on or off the field. It is time to use that money elsewhere.

Only flaw with planning on Holt leaving is that CH is against it:

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/312/8718383/-?

I would also like to see Vaughan given a chance in the pre-season, especially if an U21 striker were to come in as well. As Indy says, Vaughan would offer a similar style of play as RvW and with better service from a stonger mid-field, Vaughan could have a role to play.

Vaughan could also come in from the flanks.

I do think he could be four choice.

Holty who knows if he is here next season he is but I hope he is a bench warmer if injuries suspensions come in and he leads our forward line we may well struggle.

First thing is that nando''s, Chinese buffets etc across Norfolk need to not serve him. He has to be fit and trim for 2013-14

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]Only flaw with planning on Holt leaving is that CH is against it:

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/312/8718383/-?

I would also like to see Vaughan given a chance in the pre-season, especially if an U21 striker were to come in as well. As Indy says, Vaughan would offer a similar style of play as RvW and with better service from a stonger mid-field, Vaughan could have a role to play.[/quote]

Hughton doesn''t actually say he is for or against Holt staying:"All I''ve seen is some press speculation What we have in Grant is someone who has signed a contract in the summer. He has two years left of his contract. I think he started more games than he did last season so this is somebody who is right in there playing games. Anything that is heard or written about is very much speculation. For me it has not been an issue."That is standard managerial stuff. It doesn''t commit Hughton one way or the other. If he had come out and said Holt was in integral part of his plans for next season that would be another matter.

You could be right, Purple, but why did he see fit to say it? With his policy of ''evolution rather than revolution'', I think we will see new players coming in, but not at the expense of those who had a major role to play this year. If he wants another striker, it would be more likely that Jackson rather than Holt would make way, IMO.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]You could be right, Purple, but why did he see fit to say it? With his policy of ''evolution rather than revolution'', I think we will see new players coming in, but not at the expense of those who had a major role to play this year. If he wants another striker, it would be more likely that Jackson rather than Holt would make way, IMO.[/quote]

It was an obvious question to ask Hughton, and if he had said "no comment" then that would have been seized upon as evidence that he wanted Holt out. So you get this anodyne quote that doesn''t commit him either way. And it may be Hughton doesn''t yet know what he thinks on the issue. Supposing Celtic, for example, or Rangers came in with an  offer that gave us a couple of million and took Holt''s wages out of the budget (and we had a replacement in mind) then I suspect strongly the directors would be in favour of the deal.

I wonder if he might be used in a deal for Hooper perhaps.I think its unlikely he will be sticking around, but to be honest I would love to see him get given a chance... Harry kane people, need I say any more?

Imo purple is about right - it is one of the ''problems'' with the media that everyone is ready to read far too much into what is (or isn''t ) said, and it can all too easily be misinterpreted - so you often end up with fairly bland non-committal stuff.

Re the whole who will be in and who out thing, IMO the crucial thing is that we improve the squad, however it is done. With all the loan returners there are a number of decisions that will have had to be made on the likes of Vaughan and Ayala. There is a validity to the Vaughan thing, but were we to start the season with, say, RvW, Hooper, Holt, Becchio and Wes, there''d be no room for him.

Vaughan Championship player of the Month, has had a full season, on our books and and looked good in our pre season, has to be given his chance!

[quote user="can u sit down please"]No thanks. Becchio got more in half a season.[/quote]Different types of player though CUSDP.Becchio was the focal point of almost all the Leeds attacks, whereas Hudd were much more team orientated which gives Vaughan less ammo (not saying he''d have outscored him anyway).If Becchio is supposed to be too similar to Holt (according to CH), then Vaughan is more like RVW, and if we''re not going to bring in another quality striker (I think we will), then we could do worse than Vaughan as a 4th choice option.It could also be argued that Holt may be sold (too many rumours to figure out either way, but he''s clearly not been happy this season), which means the ''similar'' Becchio would take Holts squad place, another new striker comes in and Vaughan still keeps the 4th choice slot.

Please all. James Vaughan is not the answer because he does not want to be here.

His wife to be did not settle here and wanted to move back up North, he will go to a high end Champ team, end of. It has been discussed on here time and time again.... no point considering him..

Isn''t it pretty irresponsible if our strikers are just partying when they should be training so we can finish in the Europa League places.

Ship RVW out if him is only gonna party here.