Sign in to follow this  
ReadingCanary

We're in the Money. Well They Are.

Dunno what the truth is in this.Seems quite an awful lot of money though!
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4933340/Norwich-stars-land-5million-Premier-League-survival-jackpot.html

Performance related pay.  Fair enough. I don''t see anything wrong with this other than the elephant in the room re: footballer''s salaries being  obscenely high when weighed against their contribution to society.Put another way, each NCFC player will get the equivalent of about two week''s pay for John Terry.  Suddenly it sounds like a bargain.

Nice looking kit in that picture. Glad we''re not going to wring more money out of the fans by changing again for next season, particularly to some overly green monstrosity...

Didn''t realise it was compulsory to buy the new kit each season.

They were set a target and they achieved it. Good on them! No different to any other performance award structure. At least they changed so they didn''t get rewarded for wins if the ultimate goal wasn''t achieved. The players deserve it after what was a very tough season.

Good on them! Or is this The Sun trying to stir the pot? No source, no quotes, no nothing - just an obscenely small paragraph telling me something and giving me no reason to believe it. God I hate The Sun. 

[quote user="Stig"]Good on them! Or is this The Sun trying to stir the pot? No source, no quotes, no nothing - just an obscenely small paragraph telling me something and giving me no reason to believe it. God I hate The Sun. [/quote]Wait for the McNally twitter response... frankly im not that bothered, we all wanted to stay up and in the scheme of football money thats loose change behind the Norwich City sofa now we have secured our 3rd season.  Salaries are huge... but its entertainment and you pay for the best, bit like Movie stars; A listers do the same job as a someone in a small upcoming movie, but the A lister sells tickets etc and so warrents the huge money they get paid. Same as football.. the top footballers bring success and sell tickets, whilst still at the end of the day playing the same game as the lads in the confrence. Im not saying its right, just more how most things are in life, not just football.

Isn''t the interesting point that the players either decided the amount themselves or at least had a hand in setting it?This time they agreed around £7,000 for each match they played, regardless of result, as long as they stayed up.

Either way, if McNally (and this is not a complaint) can receive a bonus of nearly £1m in part based on staying up then it seems reasonable for the players to get something as well.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Isn''t the interesting point that the players either decided the amount themselves or at least had a hand in setting it?This time they agreed around £7,000 for each match they played, regardless of result, as long as they stayed up.

Either way, if McNally (and this is not a complaint) can receive a bonus of nearly £1m in part based on staying up then it seems reasonable for the players to get something as well.
[/quote]
Likely discussed over a cup of coffee with everyone''s agents present, and then an agreed upon sum was signed. It is a small amount, I remember last season they got a bonus as well but I can''t remember what it was now.

[quote user="East Coast Canary"]The National media stirring again in my opinion.[/quote]
Exactly, by making it Norwich (Lil ol'' Nodge, in most The Sun''s audiences eyes) it makes it look bad because how are Norwich affording to give their players plenty of cash! Damn footballers and their wages! Booo!

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Wonder what McNally gets?

Last time his bonus was made public (in the accounts?) some were a bit upset...[/quote]

There were legitimate questions about what the criteria were, because there could be more  transparency on that. I may be wrong but I don''t remember anyone saying McNally shouldn''t have been entitled to a bonus as such. or even a big one.

I am probably mistaken Purple, but I thought I remembered some people being a bit confused as to why he got £1 million.

Fully deserved in my opinion.

[quote user="Stig"][quote user="East Coast Canary"]The National media stirring again in my opinion.[/quote]
Exactly, by making it Norwich (Lil ol'' Nodge, in most The Sun''s audiences eyes) it makes it look bad because how are Norwich affording to give their players plenty of cash! Damn footballers and their wages! Booo!
[/quote]When this bonus agreement for staying up was first aired in the media about a month ago nobody batted an eyelid, either that or nobody read it  - or believed it would ever have to be paid out!  [;)]Fair play to the team, they obviously had faith in their own ability, they gambled and they won big time. Just like handing over your money to the bookies, but having the outcome in your own hands and with a much better return.Don''t think McNasty and the board will be complaining, that''s peanuts compared to what was at stake.

I''d let Howson motorboat my girlfriend