Sign in to follow this  
AJ

A Season Of Lambert

We would not have beaten Arsenal and Manchester United with the "all out attack" approach. Therefore for those type of games Hughtons tactics were spot on.

The only way Lambert will be sacked is if we go down. I honestly believe that. Everyone''s pushing in the same direction now and buying into the long term, rather than short term at long last. The owner has no sights set on CL now, I think he''s seen throwing money at that under O''Neill was futile. So this new approach has taken over instead. Build from within and by buying young hungry players

As for Benteke, he''s happy as larry. That doesn''t mean he wouldn''t be sold if one of these Italian, German or Spanish sides came in for him though, I doubt we''d turn down 30m and we''d at least have the benefit of that ton of cash to find another one. Contrast that with WBA who will need to replace Lukaku and Odemwinge with nothing. If you want a cert for next seasons relegation battle lump on them. They''ve been spiralling down since Jan/Feb

Hope you guys are as positive and upbeat about your own clubs future. Could be interesting years ahead

HE MAY HAVE SCORED GOALS THIS SEASON (BENTKE) BUT THERE IS NOTHING TO SAY HE WILL BE AS PROLIFIC NEXT SEASON.....HE WILL HAVE BEEN FOUND OUT ALREADY,THATS EVEN IF HE IS THERE NEXT SEASON......JUST SAYING![:)]

You see so many times, a player coming to the Premier League, doing well in their first season and then struggling in their second and onwards from there. I can see the same thing happening with Michu, I bet he doesn''t get as many goals next season if he stays at Swansea.

He didn''t look very "found out" to me when he made a total mug of England International Gary Cahill last week.

Benteke is quality, he''ll score goals wherever he is next season, suggesting otherwise is just sour grapes.

[quote user="AJ"]As the season draws to a close I thought I''d pop back and give my own Villa perspective on Lambert.

Overall I''m going to give him a 7-.

It''s been exactly the kind of season most of us expected, a complete rollercoaster, and there was a time when the impatient supporter in me actually thought ''he''s got to go'', that was the December/January cup exit period on the back of some spankings of course.

But I have to say he''s almost won me over. And I''ll tell you why.

There has been a complete transformation of ethics, long term plan and above all else team this season. At most times we''ve basically had a complete new, and youthful side on the pitch compared to last year.

Guzan was resigned and has replaced Given, and has been superb (winning both the supporters and players ''player of the year'' award), to think he''d actually left on a free and was brought back by Lambert as a priority bodes well in that department.

Defence, at times it''s been led a merry dance this season. But it''s also been almost a completely new back four for most of it. Two new lower league full backs, Lowton who has blossomed into a fantastic player already and the less settled Bennett who''s still equally excellent and nightmarish in the same game. Vlaar who''s come in and looked fairly good but has also missed a lot of games through injury, and the two young youth products Clark & Baker. Both have grown up a lot this season, and Baker especially has started to mature well. Bodes well for the future as the average age (without 28 Vlaar) is 22 I think.

Midfield has been a big problem, the club didn''t replace Petrov last summer and with that you lose experience and leadership (as well as a captain and decent footballer)

We''ve again bought in a lower league lad in Westwood and he''s really started to flourish. He''s basically Joe Allen but 14m cheaper. Already tentative whispers about a possible England call up next year, and deservedly so. Somehow Lambert has also got Delph playing to some of his youthful potential after years of awful injuries. I never thought I''d see the day I''d praise him, but Delph has looked very good of late. Another big bonus is the unknown cheap as peanuts French lad Sylla, who''s also blossoming from squad filler into future captain material.

Almost as importantly, Lamberts realised the likes of Ireland, Holman, Bannan etc probably aren''t worth keeping. Ahmadi started the season well but boggling injuries and the pace of the game make me doubt he''ll make the grade tbh.

Attack, leaving Bent out was a HUGE gamble by Lambert and it didn''t go down well with most, but slowly but surely the logic has again shown through. Bent, despite being an out and out goal scorer simply cannot play in this favoured 3 man attack system. Weimann has stepped up a level and is the new Kuyt with his non stop work rate down the right and Gabby has almost been transformed back into the player we all thought we had 4/5 years ago. He''s been immense during the final few months.

And finally Benteke. WOW. How some of the so called big boys didn''t see him coming through I don''t know. For a 21 year old signing, now 22 he''s been out of this world. Not just the goals (of every sort) but as a complete footballer. He''s led the line almost perfectly and although initially hit and miss in front of goal, he''s transformed into a top drawer finisher already. No surprise then that the giants of European & English football are said to be circling. I have no doubts he''ll move on to the very top soon, but I''ll console myself with another season and the 25-30m transfer fee as and when

So. All in all, a tentative thumbs up for Lambert. I expect top ten at least next season, and have a sneaky feeling a Europa spot isn''t out of the question either.

It''s been a breath of fresh air, and a much needed change of ethos too

UTV[/quote]Nobody gives a stuff.F**k off.

Perhaps I should pop along to a Birmingham forum, just to let them know how Hughton is getting along...

Ah, Mr Brownstone, but he looked extremely ordinary against Ryan Bennett.

Tbh I can''t believe so many people seem to care - last week everyone seemed pretty keen for Villa to go down!

I''ll make a bold prediction. Benteke will stay next season and continue banging them in. This will be followed by a successful World Cup with Belgium and then the really BIG clubs will be fighting tooth n nail to get him. And I''ll wish him nothing but good luck when he does join one of them

He''s basically Drogba but 12 years younger with a bit of everything already.

Feel free to save that and use it against me in years to come :)

I would agree that he has the makings of a Drogba which is why I feel he will be playing for Chelsea next season as Mourinho likes a big strong centre forward. PLUS Chelsea IS in London where Benteke wants to be.

I can see Weimann and Benteke leaving for bigger clubs this window. Maybe West Brom or Fulham.

[quote user="Herman "]I can see Weimann and Benteke leaving for bigger clubs this window. Maybe West Brom or Fulham.[/quote]Play nicely Herman.... At least they''''ll not be needing to find yet another new manager this side of December at least, can''t see any other club being interested in poaching a manager who took a Football Giant like Aston Villa from the foot of the Premier League to erm the foot of the Premier League and what with over £50 million worth of striker in Benteke and Bent too..... (allegedly)

[quote user="AJ"]The only way Lambert will be sacked is if we go down. I honestly believe that. Everyone''s pushing in the same direction now and buying into the long term, rather than short term at long last. The owner has no sights set on CL now, I think he''s seen throwing money at that under O''Neill was futile. So this new approach has taken over instead. Build from within and by buying young hungry players

As for Benteke, he''s happy as larry. That doesn''t mean he wouldn''t be sold if one of these Italian, German or Spanish sides came in for him though, I doubt we''d turn down 30m and we''d at least have the benefit of that ton of cash to find another one. Contrast that with WBA who will need to replace Lukaku and Odemwinge with nothing. If you want a cert for next seasons relegation battle lump on them. They''ve been spiralling down since Jan/Feb

Hope you guys are as positive and upbeat about your own clubs future. Could be interesting years ahead[/quote]Did you not bother to look at the league table this season? A win for Wigan against Arsenal and boy could it all have ended in tears! Me thinks Lambert already had a few suitcases packed on the eve of this game.   You were quite fortunate that Swansea managed a win and you were not having to travel to Wigan needing all 3 points ...and the safe money would have been on a home win...which then would have meant Sunderland not picking up anything against Spurs to spare your blushes. The situation then being totally out of Villa''s hands and nothing more to do with Lambert being in control of your own fate!   Just judging the Wigan vs Swansea game and a guilt edged miss almost making it 3-1 and probably 3 points going to the home side at this point! It just goes to show how narrow the margins actually were in securing your Prem status...nothing really anything to do with Lambert''s managerial prowess and more akin to good old lady luck keeping you up for another season in the top flight.  So...I wouldn''t keep spouting on about how good Lambert is and just look at the plain facts and be thankful that your survival like ourselves and Sunderland''s was probably more down to a little bit of old fashioned luck rather than the expertise and genius of our own manager''s!  A work in progress next season still for Villa and Norwich me thinks...

I think the facts are Villa were even closer to relegation this season than they were last.

One thing we have all learnt this season is that Lambert can''t set up a quality defence to save his life and managing Villa may well be as ''high'' as he ever gets.

Of course, AJ, everything you predict is based on the assumption that Lambert won''t walk out on you at some point in the season. He has a record.

,I have said before Lambert left for the fear of second season Syndrome, he was told,, we are lead to believe that he couldn''t have more money in the Summer, That I think was shear Rubbish, Look at the funds raised for Hughton,   I for  1 think we have a better manager and believe the board didn''t trust Lambert with any more money

That is complete rubbish. Lambert would have had the same budget as Hughton did.

There will be a lot of eating of words when the real reason for Lambert''s departure eventually gets out.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]That is complete rubbish. Lambert would have had the same budget as Hughton did. There will be a lot of eating of words when the real reason for Lambert''s departure eventually gets out.[/quote]

Yes he was tapped up at the bed side of his mate in Hospital weeks before the Villa home game

The real reason is that lil ol'' Norwich weren''t big enough for his ego. Same as Wycombe. Same as Colchester. The same will be with Villa. (Maybe! Depending on next season).

Mr Brownstone wrote the following post at 19/05/2013 9:43 AM:

That is complete rubbish. Lambert would have had the same budget as Hughton did.

There will be a lot of eating of words when the real reason for Lambert''s departure eventually gets out.

Yes, he may have had the same budget, but what would we have finished up with? I''ll match Hughton''s signings with Lambert''s any day.

If you have something to say about the ''real'' reason Lambert left which is truthful, say it, otherwise stfu. I stopped listening to rumours and lies many years ago.

Well Yellow Wall, I''ve started no rumours and told no lies, in fact I''ve not said a single thing about why Lambert left, and it''ll stay that way.

I am however happy to say that suggestions he left because he was worried about 2nd season syndrome are way wide of the mark, to me it just seems like a cheap attempt to discredit one of our greatest ever managers. Sour grapes.

Mr Brownstone wrote the following post at 19/05/2013 11:04 AM:

Well Yellow Wall, I''ve started no rumours and told no lies, in fact I''ve not said a single thing about why Lambert left, and it''ll stay that way.

I am however happy to say that suggestions he left because he was worried about 2nd season syndrome are way wide of the mark, to me it just seems like a cheap attempt to discredit one of our greatest ever managers. Sour grapes.

You have, nevertheless, intimated that there are some sinister reasons why he left and again, have stated, "that suggestions he left because he was worried about 2nd season syndrome are way wide of the mark" again intimating that you know better.

If you know better then please share your knowledge with us all. If you do not know better then you are, by implication, starting, or at least fueling'' rumours.

To be fair Mr B, people like me are reacting to what has been said regarding phone calls, Directors being miles away, people who work on the hospital etc, and are quite aware there is always two sides to every story.

Are your comments based on that alone ( two sides) ? or because you actually know something, and for (rightly) confidentiality reasons will stay schtum for now?

I''m rather amused by the predictions of a top half/europa finish. I really don''t think so. All the bad luck for next season, because for as long as Ipswich aren''t about - Villa are my vent.

What on earth have you got against the Villa?

Talk about odd.

Can we all agree on one thing? Lambert has gone and as good as he was he no longer exist''s  Hughton does and he has completed what he was asked to do, The players he brought in, One of them being Bassong  P  O T S. Personally I am incline to be rather more optimistic about next season, I don''t predict euro spot but a top half finish with no relegation thoughts at the end, Lambert did bring in good players too I know that, but Lets leave it all to the History books now shell we