Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

so then all you hughton outers...

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Jas, can you please explain how 44 points is "better" than 47?[:^)][/quote]

Oh dear! Or how 12th is better than 11th. Would you rather finish top with 80 points or third with 85? Stupid question, 85 points every time.

[/quote]

You''ll get there eventually, perhaps?[:|]

Do like that this thread was started by someone who, only two or three weeks ago, was shouting about the Leeds boys (particularly Howson) not being good enough. Partly justifying himself by saying they couldn''t get Leeds out of the Championship - yet they''ve helped get us to 11th in the Prem.

And now he thinks he''s in a position to knock those who said Hughton out.

Think he should maybe get his own house in order before he calls out other people.

[quote user="GJP"]

Do like that this thread was started by someone who, only two or three weeks ago, was shouting about the Leeds boys (particularly Howson) not being good enough. Partly justifying himself by saying they couldn''t get Leeds out of the Championship - yet they''ve helped get us to 11th in the Prem.

And now he thinks he''s in a position to knock those who said Hughton out.

Think he should maybe get his own house in order before he calls out other people.

[/quote]

While I agree with you, you''re more likely to see Ian Holloway embracing Cody MacDonald after Crystal Palace gain Europa League qualification.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="QHcanary"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="ThorpeCanary"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[quote user="ThorpeCanary"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Jas, can you please explain how 44 points is "better" than 47?[:^)][/quote]

Because a league table takes into account the points amassed by other teams as well.
[/quote]

Correct, it does.  But that still does not mean that 44 points is better than 47! 

[/quote]

Indeed, but if someone could offer me now an improved league position with less points or a higher point taller but further down the table (bottom half teams doing a lot better with respect to higher teams) I know which one I''d choose.

I wasn''t sure if you were making this a Hughton vs Lambert scenario (not saying you were) but if so the better comparison would be 44 to 41 [:P]
[/quote]

I''m not making this a Hughton vs Lambert, it''s Jas that did that.  I''d also pick a higher league finish. 

My point was in response to Jas who said that Hughton had done better than the messiah Lambert.  Yes we finished higher in the league this season, but we had fewer wins, less goals scored, a worse goal difference and fewer points.  I''m merely pointing out that you can therefore not proclaim that Hughton has done better than Lambert for us in the Prem.

[/quote] You can''t really be that simple?[/quote]

Of course I''m not, but you obviously are!

You obviously cannot comprehend that the matter in question here is NOT league position! 

Let''s be really stupid and use say, the markers that are (understandably) used to compare managers -

Win %''s and points per game averages.  Now let''s really go to town with this silliness and compare Lambert''s win %''s & PPG average last season, with Hughton''s this season.

Now, let''s really do something stupid and compare the answers to the above and use that to answer the question of who has the best record for Norwich in the Premier League, Hughton, or Lambert?

[/quote]

All of that would be valid, if we were talking about their whole careers. Not 2 seasons in isolation, where the other 19 teams have just as much to say on the final standings.

Paul Lambert''s premier league record isn''t as impressive after this season, is it? In fact he averages the same number if points as Chris Hughton in the premier league.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]Howson isn''t good enough..... I''m still saying it despite 2 goals[/quote]

You''re just saying that for a laugh, right?

Hope so anyway.

[quote user="Ginja"]Undecided, we''ve had some highs certainly and some great results but we''ve also had some pretty bad lows as well, it will be interesting to see how Hughton gets on in the first 10 next season[/quote]#Same here.  He has to continue in the same vein as the last two games, otherwise it will be the usual drab point a game next season. We are better than that and our squad has shown some real quality in the last two games which it was unable to show in the previous Hughton-inspired straightjacket. That quality did not surprise me at all but it will have for some of the Hughton-inners who repeatedly said that the squad was poor and Hughton had little to work with. They were proved wrong !!!!

Brilliant Chops, like shooting fish in a barrel.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]Howson isn''t good enough..... I''m still saying it despite 2 goals[/quote]

Your halo is begining to slip a little Jas!

[quote user="QHcanary"]"2 wins against teams with nothing to play for don''t define your season"

Maybe not, but you play til the death and its the league position at the end that matters.

No?[/quote]

They might have been against teams with nothing to play for, but it is a fact that six of our ten wins this season have been against top half teams, including three of the top four.

We have shown that we can beat anybody on our day, and the fact remains that CH has achieved his brief for the season - tighten up the defence and keep us in the Premier League.

"Howson isn''t good enough..... I''m still saying it despite 2 goals"

Was anyone basing their opinion of Howson on today''s game? I like many others have been defending him and pointing out his attributes since he took over from Tettey in CM.

He has all the attributes to be a top player and he turns 25 this week so still yet to peak. He has pace, can dribble, a fairly lethal long range shot when he pulls the trigger, good ability on the ball with both feet and a good passing range. His positioning is improving and so is his marking and tackling. Given an extended run in the team he has steadily improved in his first full season at this level.

Of all our CM on the books (Johnson, Tettey, Fox, Butterfield) he is the best all round player and arguably the one with the most potential.

Can you please explain why, in your opinion, he isn''t good enough?

I''ve seen several references on this thread and others to our result against WBA being ''because they have little to play for'' or similar. If that is the case, what is the explanation for their result yesterday? I guess one could argue that Man U themselves had little to play for but...TEN GOALS between two teams that can''t be ar$ed!!?

While I am very happy that we have survived this season and ended on a high, especially with the youngssters bringing home the cup from Chelsea, I must admit that Mr H leaves me somewhat confused. I still don''t know whether he is a calm measured manager with inner confidence and a long term plan, for whom cautious football was a necessity, or a bit of a negative tactically naive one-dimensional dogma merchant who got lucky in the last few games.  After the Villa game I was convinced we would go down, but then Wigan lost at home to Swansea which for us and many others was the pivotal result of the season and relieved much of the pressure.

Have I changed my mind on CH? Well, probably not in that I am still not sure. However I think he has earned the right to take things forward next season. Then we should really see what he is made of and no more excuses for negative shot shy football. If he is going to bring in more like Bassong, Snodgrass and RVW then it could be very exciting if harnessed properly. We all knew that we had the basis of a squad which could compete, my reckoning is that next season will be less tough with some likely stragglers so I am hoping that we can push on and look to a spot or two higher.