Sign in to follow this  
flying high up in the sky!

Marks out of ten for hughton now the seasons over.

8/10+ Got the Job Done.+ Got us some famous victories+ Finished 11th- Should have set the team out in more of an attacking way in multiple games- Away Form has been a bit awry- Late and pointless substitutions

Results = premier league safety

Style = relegation battle

I know what I prefer

8 from me. Some really drab days like Luton, Liverpool, Wigan, stoke, villa etc have ultimately been overturned and then some by days like today, man u, arsenal, wba, spurs, Everton.

Plenty to improve on but then when we give it a reality check, we were amongst the favorites to go down and so credit where it''s due.

Stoke, Fulham, villa, Newcastle, Southampton, Sunderland, Wigan, reading and QPR are some great teams to be higher than and most had way more money than us

Football style4/10Occasionally impressive in particular games/portions of games, especially towards the tail end of the season. However whether it was complacency, or sheer lack of motivation, Norwich struggled, for most of the season, to show the urgency that would invigorate anything that was too easy on the eye.Games against the likes of Stoke and Newcastle will only be remembered by any Norwich fans that care to do so for being the most utterly mundane in the recent history of the club.Football pragmatism7/10Norwich were a solid unit throughout the season, despite the odd emphatic blip (Liverpool, Fulham, Manchester United). Results during the 10 game undefeated run wouldn''t have looked out of place in the form of the pragmatic masters, Manchester United. However, late season losses at key moments to relegation competitors, that called for such pragmatic play (ie. if you don''t win, make sure you don''t lose), would have been utterly unforgiveable if they were not matched by Hughtons impressive record against some of the higher sides in the table.However, for a lower mid-table side, we were rarely easy to beat as such, and that in itself is a commendable achievement of the way Hughton sets out to have his sides play football.Transfers7.5/10Necessarily sought to remedy issues at the back (this relates to the score for the next assessment), although the mid-season attempt at doing the same for our offensive play was somewhat meagre, with only Becchio and Kamara to show for it, when more was called for (not only in the striking position, but in the supply line also).The high grade mostly stems from the inspiration of acquiring the likes of Bassong, Tettey, and Bunn, all of which were fundamental (in their own right) to our progress in the season in their own rights.Tactics6/10At times the midfield distribution was desperately poor. The logical conclusion would infer the inclusion of last years 3rd placed Player of the Year David Fox, largely recognised as one of the clubs best passers of the ball, and certainly the best in the aforementioned position. This blatent deficiency both quelled much hope of including our offensive play into the game as much as we''d want to, and piled pressure on our back four at times when it was beyond necessary (which they dealt with in exemplary fashion by the way)Other faults are his persistance in playing either Bennett or Snodgrass on the left wing in the absence of Pilkington, when both frequently underperformed in the position, almost rendering them rendundant in the majority of our offensive play during this period. This in effect nullified an outlet when we were already desperately lacking in them. The timing of his substitutions in key games when we were chasing against fellow relegation competitors was also highly questionable, contributing toward lacklustre results during an intense and important period of the season against the likes of Stoke, Wigan, and Aston Villa.However his persistance with players like Ryan Bennett and Howson saw through in the end, when most (including myself) would have at the very least banished them to the bench. Although their form at times did seem compromising to the side as a whole, the way they finished off, and our eventual league position, seem to justly show Hughton had some sort of idea of what he was doing, when most (again, including myself) thought him utterly oblivious.Average 6.125/10End of year report: got the job done.Pass.

8.5/10

10/10 on the transfers for me, he was told his job was to avoid relegation and we ended up beating our place from last season.

next season is going to be something to remember.

10/10

Couldn''t get the strikers he wanted in January because the board wouldn''t sanction the premium payments so cut his cloth according to the material he had. Made sure we wouldn''t lose in order not to get relegated.

Wasn''t his fault about the strikers and he didn''t complain about it once. Other managers would have thrown their toys out of the pram but CH kept his dignity. He also kept his dignity when fans turned against him. Never said a bad word about his players in public. Kept his nerve when results were disappointing.

At the end of the day, and after a marathon 38 games, the results speak for themselves. All done on one of the smallest PL budgets. A massive achievement.

Well from me he has ticked all the boxes required from the board, so considering that we finished higher than last season, finished higher than Lamberts Villa (Please no more threads about Lambert, he''s old news now, just let him get on with that shi**y littel club), only in the bottom 3 for one week this season, finished off the season in style with two great performances, showing that we can play attractive football under Hughton - IT HAS TO BE 10/10.

Great season and to all those who think next year we should push on even higher, there are 19 other teams with bigger or similar budgets to ours, it won''t be easy and if we can repeat a comfortable season and finish in 11th again no complaints from me.

CITY1ST, well done, you did say that we could finish as high as top 10 and we nearly did.

8/10

A half dozen or so great games. Several more not so but a third season in the PL was what was asked for.

Can''t fault him on the transfers, the majority on here were wanting us to not pay over the odds for Hooper and the groundwork for RVW has paid off now.

8/10

Just staying up is a great achievment, whatever people say budget generally correlates with league finish & we''ve got 1 of the smaller budgets.

Lambert did an incredible job last season but I thought the momentum had slowed up by the end of last season & a lot of players haven''t been able to perform above themselves again this season.

Hughton has spent really well, although at times he has been too negative. However he''s got the job done in terms of results over the season & for me the squad is stronger now with big arrivals likely in the summer with the debt cleared.

So the fickle fans set heir grades largely based on the euphoria of the last 2 games, eh?

For me Hughton has not convinced.

Id give him a 6/10.

Poor subs, little tactical nous, fails for most of the season to get the best out of our players, constant bigging up of opposition. Negative frame of mind.. Dont think players have really taken to him. Fails to see that tactics suited fr Arsenal and Man U is not suited vs Qpr, Newcastle, Soton, etc.

On he positive side, very corteous and nice man, well respected in he game. Probably a dream manager for the board.

Overall, when remembering the dross served up this winter, I am inlined to say 5/10, but he succeeded in keeping us up, in the end with good margin, but i would not say convincingly.

Can do better, 6/10

10/10 for keeping Norwich up.

4/10 for style of football at times.

7/10 for results on average over the season.

6/10 overall for season but must do better next season, in the sense of consistency overall.

10/10 He has done a great job considering the club''s starting position. It was fantastic to organise victories against Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Tottenham & Everton - five of the top 6 sides plus a draw against Chelsea the 6th side.

Looking forward to next season and seeing who he will bring in during the summer. Well done Chris.

8/10 for me. I was never a Hughton outer, but I was puzzled at times by the lateness of his substitutions and his slowness to adapt and change things generally. I couldn''t explain the long low period from January onwards, and I was inclined to doubt his ability to motivate the players. He also seemed to have long failed to decide on player strengths - Howson, Vaughan, in particular.

He has achieved what we needed, survival and overcoming the second season problem with limited resources. He has done more, I suspect than Lambert might have done, to judge by the way he ducked out of the problem last year.CH has signed a potentially prolific striker, in prospect better than we could have imagined, and I think that we could be in for one or two more very exciting signings.

Whatever doubts we had are now dispelled, and we can look forward to the future confidently and even excitedly. Well done CH!

10/10 for keeping us up.10/10 for the past two games, if those were his tactics and he has changed tactics for the good to more emphasis on winning games and entertaining supporters. 4/10 for away style6/10 for home style

8, has done well just lately but could have done better.

10 for job done.

an overall 8/10 from me. he persisted with Johnny Howson in the last dozen matches when many fans wanted him dropped. who''s laughing now?

Final League Position : 10 / 10Transfers : 8/10Entertainment Value : 3/10Tactics : 4/10Substitutions : 1/10Risk to my Health : 10/ 10

Over all and realistically I''ll give Hoots around a 6/10

As he kept us up ill side with the mongers and happy clap my way to 11 / 10

7/10

He''s done the job and in the end done it well. But it got far too close at times and there have been some truly awful matches. His transfers have been generally very good and at times (albeit far too infrequently) he has shown that he can set a team out to attack, so I''m confident he''s the man to take us forward next season.

[quote user="grefstad"]So the fickle fans set heir grades largely based on the euphoria of the last 2 games, eh?

For me Hughton has not convinced.

Id give him a 6/10.

Poor subs, little tactical nous, fails for most of the season to get the best out of our players, constant bigging up of opposition. Negative frame of mind.. Dont think players have really taken to him. Fails to see that tactics suited fr Arsenal and Man U is not suited vs Qpr, Newcastle, Soton, etc.

On he positive side, very corteous and nice man, well respected in he game. Probably a dream manager for the board.

Overall, when remembering the dross served up this winter, I am inlined to say 5/10, but he succeeded in keeping us up, in the end with good margin, but i would not say convincingly.

Can do better, 6/10[/quote]
Move along folks, no credible opinions to be seen here.
8/10 for me.
Superb run of games where we looked a class above, followed by a horrifyingly bad run of games which led us a whisker away from the dotted line but he led us to a rousing last handful of games that showed our determination and fight to be a successful club. His air of confidence always won me over in his conferences, despite the results. I had a huge rant between me and some friends a week or two again when things looked really dire, but I eat those words with a huge appetite. I look forward to seeing him go again next season.

Can only echo what most have said - a difficult transition year with the pros being not getting relegated (which I had been confident of acheiving since Jan), overall sound purchasing (lack of funds probably limiting the one weak spot of strikers)  and the final (if slightly flattering) final league position that pays a transfer fee come the summer.

The cons were a truly dismal run and woeful performances in 2013 with what felt like an inability to change. The last couple of fantastic wins have glossed over that - meaning we ended up more nervous and lacking in confidence that perhaps we should have been. 

As such 7/10 overall.

I have been looking forward to our summer strengthening since Feb - I have confidence that we will look and feel a completelty new team come 17th August.

COYY.