Sign in to follow this  
Crispy

11 points from the Spurs, Arsenal, City, Utd and Chels !

1/4 of our points came from games against the top 5. That''s damn impressive.

Some memorable games their that far outdo the odd beating we got. I for one still see it as a travesty we didn''t get the points at the emirates too. I was going to do a mini-league of just the top 5 and us and see where we would have ended up but I got bored after tallying our own points.

Here are the results if I am not mistaken:

(w)

Norwich 1 - 0 Arsenal

Norwich 1 - 0 Man Utd

Man City 2 - 3 Norwich

(d)

Spurs 1 - 1 Norwich

Norwich 1 - 1 Spurs

(L)

Arsenal 3 - 1 Norwich

Norwich 3 - 4 Man City

Man Utd 0 - 4 Norwich

Norwich 0 - 1 Chelsea

Chelsea 4 - 1 Norwich

It''s not only relevant but it''s more. What I don''t get is the point you''re trying to make Hannibal.

It''s as relevant but not as impressive.

With lambert we did really well Vs. bottom 5 (QPR away being my fave) but it doesn''t come close to beating Utd and Man City

If your going to rain on our parade about wins against some of this countries elite squads then I really pity you.

Yes a season is over 38 games but when we win against teams who have spent 100m''s to qualify for champions league I see this as a significant achievement and shows we don''t need to rely on our results from the bottom 5 to stay up

There''s too many on here who would rather argue the toss than to celebrate a club achievement, quite pathetic really

Could and maybe should have been 17!! Looking back on our season we didn''t get a lot of luck really. All in all great finishing position!

United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs

Everton, Liverpool, West Brom, Swansea, West Ham

(Norwich), Fulham, Stoke, Southampton, Villa

Newcastle, Sunderland, Wigan, Reading, QPR

v top five: 11 points

v second quarter: 12

v third quarter: 7 -> 8.75 (scaled up as we are in it)

v bottom five: 14 points

So it seems the teams we struggle most against, are the teams we finish nearest to. And we should be doing better against the bottom teams. 23 points against the top half is damn good though.

Overall our record against top half opposition has been remarkable! We have the 7th best record against top half opposition having taken 1.15 points per game, this total is only bettered by: Man Utd, Chelsea (both 1.77ppg), Man City, Spurs (both 1.72ppg), Everton (1.55ppg) and Arsenal (1.44ppg). As they are the teams that made up the top 6 this year that''s no shame at all, but to have a better record than the likes of Liverpool (1ppg) and the media darlings Swanselona (only 0.77ppg, ooh, but they play such pretty football........) really means we deserve more plaudits than we have got for our approach and results against the so called big teams.

Unfortunately this is quite dramatically counterbalanced by our abysmal record against the bottom half, against whom we had a record (1.16ppg) that was only better than QPR (0.94ppg) and Reading (0.83ppg)....

Still at least we were consistent.....

Yeah, that. Swansea and Liverpool are better than us at beating up the little guys. Though Holt has scored enough this season, we haven''t had the goal threat that these two sides have when playing the weaker teams to take chances and kill them off. Hopefully Wolfie will cross off that little problem. Against the bigger sides the speed we can counter with the likes of Howson, Garrido, Pilks, Snoddy and the rest mean we are better than most at giving them a bloody nose. Plus we''re still pretty good in the air.

What these results say to me, is that we *could* make a serious attempt to get to one of the two Wembley finals next year. That would just be amazing. Whether we do actually play our first XI in the cups is another matter of course.

... another point, though, is that Swansea and Liverpool are both better at keeping possession than we are - which is another crucial way of killing off weaker teams. (But won''t be enough against Chelsea or Spurs etc, who can intercept pretty passes and kill you on the break.)

I''m not raining on anyones parade just a touch of realism. we could of easily finished anywhere from 17th to 10th yesterday. Yes we beat Man City but they had nothing to play for and no manager it was a dead rubber game. We have been woeful against sides we really should of taken more points off of though.

With the greatest of respect this is not football manager we are never yes NEVER going to be a top 6 side. taking points off them is nice yes but its the teams around and below us that most concern me with beating. Thats what is going to be our bread and butter.

Swansea might as well of finished their season in Feb they had a cup a european spot and were pretty much safe in the league they also did us a might favour against Wigan.

[quote user="Hannibal II"]I''m not raining on anyones parade just a touch of realism. we could of easily finished anywhere from 17th to 10th yesterday. Yes we beat Man City but they had nothing to play for and no manager it was a dead rubber game. We have been woeful against sides we really should of taken more points off of though. With the greatest of respect this is not football manager we are never yes NEVER going to be a top 6 side. taking points off them is nice yes but its the teams around and below us that most concern me with beating. Thats what is going to be our bread and butter. Swansea might as well of finished their season in Feb they had a cup a european spot and were pretty much safe in the league they also did us a might favour against Wigan.[/quote]

LOL..

Don''t give up the day job!

You still haven''t said what point6 you were trying to make about us picking up 3 more points against the bottom 5 than we did the top 5..

Lets not forget his last paragraph nutty where he says Swansea were on the beach in February yet still ''did us a favour'' by beating a team who finished 8 points behind us

No logic or reason there then!

Now Herman, you have stumbled on the saliant point here.... There may be an opportunity to at least challenge the top six, but we do have to start taking the points off the teams around us, and more importantly below us. The top 1/2 -V- bottom 1/2 comparison does show that it''s very similar to attack -V- defense, it''s the attack that wins matches but the defence wins championships. Similarly, winning against the top 1/2 is necessary but pointless without beating the bottom 1/2.

Take Liverpool for example, even though they only managed 1ppg against the top half they managed a massive 2.15ppg against the bottom 1/2, the 4th best in the league and equal to Chelsea who finished third. So quite simply, yes, we do need to take the points off the bottom 1/2, but if we can maintain the record against the big guns then we do stand a good chance of acheiving that which you say is impossible (if we''d managed 2.15ppg against the bottom half we would have had 1.65ppg overall, the same as Everton in 6th). Now it is a stretch to imagine that we will reach that kind of level of consistency it is possible and shows us where to focus our efforts next season....

Also, I''d like to take issue with everyone that is saying that we shouldn''t read too much into the win against Man City as they had nothing to play for, similarly our players had little to play for, I don''t know the bonus structure but I imagine that they didn''t go out and beat Man City just because they''d be a couple of grand better off, whereas Man City players should have been trying to prove to whoever their new manager will be that they deserve to be kept as starters next season. We beat them convincingly, even saying that both teams had little to play for their team is worth 5 times what ours is and so should on paper have still wiped the floor with us, they didn''t, give credit to the team and the manager for beating them.

So many points against the top half - does that make our players big game charlies??

Show the drive we had against the big teams in all games and a top half finish is easily acheivable - and shows that despite people claims we do have prem quality in our team.

And makes the poor run of most of 2013 all the more frustrating!

Bring on next season