Not a bad way to finish his season, lets hope he hits the ground running for us!

Defence aside (we were missing Bassong), if we play like we did today - with RVW banging in goals we could beat anyone in the league

He certainly looks a class act. Mind you, I''d expect nothing less from the composer of The Lark Ascending & A Norfolk Rhapsody.

Getting confused here ...

Big fat Grant Holt back to target man skills, RVW showing RVP who the boss is and Howson surging in behind them, Snoddy and Pilks bombing the wings...One can dream ?Jokes aside, i think if we are going to move forwards as a club its time to wave good bye to Wes.That will break a lot of hearts and have me putting on the tin hat, but with Howson unleashed and RVW i just see his tag as "luxuary" really being a hinderance rather than anything for the future.Hoots will be looking to build on his team, I would expect another midfielder, perhaps play maker type, another striker and a winger to be joining us at least.Depending on who joins us I could see Wes becoming pretty obsolete.:(

I agree with several points there Nexus, but I don''t think this is the end of Hoolahoop for us - he has too much class to be forgotten.

Instead, next season I believe we will see several systems, instead of the one key one we''ve stuck with this year. Hoolahoop is a luxury, but what RVW alone brings is the ability to play 4-4-2 and other formations.

What we won''t see is all our attacking players on the pitch at once - but that''s the whole aim this summer - to invest and strengthen. We want to be able to bring on subs who are just as good as those leaving the pitch. When a player is injured we should have/need cover which is also just as good as those dropping out. We need a level of quality throughout the squad.

We''ll see a few signings this summer, but perhaps not a complete overhaul. We might not have played greatly at times, but the table doesn''t lie - we were 11th best out of 20, and all the players who have played a part deserve a shout at doing so next season too.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Big fat Grant Holt back to target man skills, RVW showing RVP who the boss is and Howson surging in behind them, Snoddy and Pilks bombing the wings...One can dream ?Jokes aside, i think if we are going to move forwards as a club its time to wave good bye to Wes.That will break a lot of hearts and have me putting on the tin hat, but with Howson unleashed and RVW i just see his tag as "luxuary" really being a hinderance rather than anything for the future.Hoots will be looking to build on his team, I would expect another midfielder, perhaps play maker type, another striker and a winger to be joining us at least.Depending on who joins us I could see Wes becoming pretty obsolete.:([/quote]Rubbish. Wes still got 1 or 2 seasons still in him. The sneaky pass today to set up pilks was class. Be it on the bench or starting, he is a game changer.

Have to agree, yes wes may have been a ''luxury'' player for us in the championship era but now we are in the premier league he''s a luxury we can afford, and cannot afford to lose

Still got another 2 seasons in him

People always criticise Wes and yet we always end up bringing him back in the side and look better for it.

Howson got all the plaudits and rightly so but Wes was phenomenal today. Great little layoff for Pilkington''s goal, pretty sure he played the sublime first time ball to snodgrass to set up holt for the second. Always looking for the ball today, always doing good things with it and was linking up with Howson/Holt and wingers really well.

We may get a new Wes this year, but he will still be a very important squad player and I wouldn''t be surprised if he plays a big part. Getting rid if the option came up would definitely be a huge mistake imo.

Personally think Howson will grow and eventually take on hoolahans role behind the striker. It''s his favoured position and he''s shown in the last 2 games how good he is going forward.

Still it will be interesting to see who we sign in the summer, it could well determine the formation! Another decent striker could push a 442 or another creative midfielder may enforce the 451!

Back on Subject, does anyone know what RVW''s total was for the season, it seems that he went on abit of a spree after being announced for us! Such an exciting prospect, hopefully out ''michu''

[quote user="AJ"]Defence aside (we were missing Bassong), if we play like we did today - with RVW banging in goals we could beat anyone in the league[/quote]

So what about without RVW? We cant?

Very daft thing to say, hours after we beat Man City away having also beat Man Utd and Arsenal.

Not really CDMullins. What I was implying was, a lot of those draws this season, with some attacking prowess in a good goalscorer, can be turned into more wins

Howson and Hoolahan play 2 very different games.

Howson is a box to box central midfielder.

Hoolahan''s role & skills are different. He doesn''t score many goals or makes the final pass to the goal scorer, but he is the pivot of the team. His link up play with his team mates determines how the team plays and ultimately the outcome of the game.

Hoolahan has been written off many times. Usually at the beginning of every season when new players are recruited or when people are blinded by the euphoria of someone scoring a couple of goals. Howson''s name has appeared before at the beginning of last season. Van Wolfwinkel hasn''t even played yet. We all hope it works out well. But if not we will be needing Hoolahan.

Wasn''t Howson used at the beginning of the season when we ended up with our undies around our ankles ? No please don''t give me the "he''s an attacking mid not a defensive one" and "it''s not his position" excuse. Howson''s position is central midfield. So that involves defending when the opposition has the ball or attacking when we have the ball. When Hoolahan is in the team, we have a good chance of holding the ball which automatically makes Howson an attacking midfielder - simples - which leads to us flattening teams like WBA & Man City.

Of course Hoolahan can''t be expected to do it all himself, it''s no use people standing behind defenders & not passing/receiving the ball - the rest of the team needs to support him - that where the likes of Snodgrass, Pilkington & Howson come into play. When we hold possession of the ball the likes of Man City are the ones chasing shadows and not the other way around.

Although some fans lack the knowledge it''s a good thing Hughton & Lambert before him at least recognise Hoolahan''s ability and played him.

i am not kidding when saying that without Hoolahan and the way things were going at the beginning of the season, we would be looking at the championship fixture list in June.

But don''t take my word for it just look at the stats. When Hoolahan has started, we usually get a result. Is it a coincidence that all Howson''s good performances come when Hoolahan is in the team beside him? All Howson''s bad games & the maulings have come when Hoolahan is out of the side.

Wins against Manure, Arsenal & Man City all had Hoolahan in the side - coincidence ?. We fear no team - even the top 4 as proven if he is in the team.

He is the last player we want to lose.

Superb post six pack, In my opinion Hoolahan should always be the first name in the team..