Sign in to follow this  
NorthWalesCanary

Are we established?

Are we now an established Premier League team? Or do we need another season to achieve this?

Looking at teams records it seems that if you survive the first two seasons, you tend to go on to stay up for several seasons. So I''d say that we are now an established team.

Can someone explain exactly what is meant by being an "established" Premier League team? After a season in which half the league were still in danger of relegation with just two games left, I wouldn''t really describe anyone outside the top seven as established.

Everton are established. Anything below Everton are not established.

If we start season 2015-16 in the prem then I will feel established - that will be our fifth season the squad strengthening and finances should be excellent.  As wigan have shown this season that does not mean being safe from relegation.

It would also break our voodoo record of always getting relegated from the top flight in a ...4-...5 season.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

If we start season 2015-16 in the prem then I will feel established - that will be our fifth season the squad strengthening and finances should be excellent.  As wigan have shown this season that does not mean being safe from relegation.

It would also break our voodoo record of always getting relegated from the top flight in a ...4-...5 season.

[/quote]

We were promoted in 1974-5 season.

Don''t forget what happened to Wolves in season III and look at them now. Wigan too!

Stoke, Sunderland, Villa and Newcastle could have been called established at the start of the season but all bar the last could have been playing away at Yeovil in August.

You are never established outside the top 7 in my eyes.

We were power hamster - but the clue was in the sentence - when we have started IN the top flight for that season we have been relegated.

For 74/75 we were in Div 2 whih last time I looked was not the top flight ;-)

At least half of the league have the potential to be in the relegation scrap, even so called ''bigger'' sides like Sunderland, Newcastle & Villa with 40k+ crowds & big wage bills have been in amongst it this season.

We can kick on next season & hopefully finish in the top half but if we begin believing we can''t or won''t get dragged into the scrap for survival we will do so. As we saw this season when you lose a few games it can be a struggle to turn it back round.

Pointless discussion this. So I''ll join in!

''Established'' is all about what''s in the mind of the football-following public at large. When ''they'' get used to us being there, then we''re established. If, however, to them, we still seem like we''re there only through good fortune or similar, then we''re not.

Perception is reality my friends.

Not being negative but unless you are Man City/Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool/Everton or Spurs there is no such thing as an established Premier team just ask Bolton and Charlton. 

The big 7 apart, anyone can go down. Note how the midddle of the League no longer exists. Everyone from 8th down will have to scrap for every point.

The statistics on relegation are as follows.

Of the 56 teams promoted since the 1990/1991 season who have been subsequently relegated

*29 teams were relegated after 1 season (51%)

*8 after two seasons (14% or 30% of the 27 surviving a year)

*4 after three seasons (7% or 21% of the 19 surviving 2 years)

*one team relegated after a 16 year stay in the division (Newcastle)

The rest are fairly evenly spread out (up to three on most seasons).

If you look at the teams currently in the premier league you have an even spread of the 8 teams promoted in the last 6 seasons (not including the three newly promoted teams), Fulham and man city are on 13 and 12 seasons. That leaves the 7 ever present teams.

What it tells me is that

*If you survive for two seasons you just as likely to be relegated in one season as the next.

*It''s sport and you can''t accurately predict the future on past performance