Sign in to follow this  

His goal today was sublime, bet ''Match of the day'' find some way to rubbish it.

[quote user="East Coast Canary"]His goal today was sublime, bet ''Match of the day'' find some way to rubbish it.[/quote]
It will be down to Manchester City "Completely switching off and letting the young Norwich midfielder (Note the lack of name) run through to the goal." and that will be the last of it. Gotta love today''s media!

"Powder puff" defending according to whichever biased clown I was listening to (can''t place him tbh)...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]"Powder puff" defending according to whichever biased clown I was listening to (can''t place him tbh)...[/quote]
Wasn''t he driveling on?? I think he just wanted to have a differing opinion to his co-commentator because everytime he mentioned something bad Norwich did that douche would then praise Norwich... I turned it down and had sky sports news on in the background - was bloody hilarious! 

Hate sounding like a stuck record but if you don''t rate Howson, your following the wrong sport. He''s been playing out of position all season and still looked tidy.

[quote user="Javiers Deaf Translator"]http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/golazo-jonny-howson-norwich-v-manchester-city/#.UZj86C2kJK8.twitter

watched it 5 times, could watch it 5 more.[/quote]Just watched it! Powder-puff defending my arse. He just bossed it! What a tidy left-foot finish too!

Reminded me a bit of a goal Nasri scored for ManC last year!

Won''t get the same plaudits, but it shows how much Howson has in the tank for the years to come. We''ve seen the Howson of old the past few games. Sometimes it just takes players a run in the team to get in their stride. I''m sure he will be firmly in Hughton''s plans next year, he''s made Tettey look very poor lately!

MOTD featured the goal with glowing praise. No more than it deserved. Superb run that took him past 3 in midfield before they could react and left Richards in his wake knowing if he pulled him down it would probably be a red. Topped off with a clinical left foot finish. Even better than last weeks!

"Potential pots next season? England world cup place? Or am I getting carried away? "

With the second one? Yeah.

Superb goal, superb player, best midfielder we have by a country mile when allowed to play his natural game.  He has come in for unfair criticism this season and thats just pure ignorance.  Howson is a box to box attacking midfielder who has been playing in a deep lying defensive midfield role.  You wouldnt ask RVP to play on the wing, or Bale in defence, because, although they could do a job, its a waste of their ability.   He has been given more freedom to get forward in the last 2 games, that much is clear and we have reaped the benefits.  I just hope CH remembers this next season. 

[quote user="NCFCgardener"]Superb goal, superb player, best midfielder we have by a country mile when allowed to play his natural game.  He has come in for unfair criticism this season and thats just pure ignorance.  Howson is a box to box attacking midfielder who has been playing in a deep lying defensive midfield role.  You wouldnt ask RVP to play on the wing, or Bale in defence, because, although they could do a job, its a waste of their ability.   He has been given more freedom to get forward in the last 2 games, that much is clear and we have reaped the benefits.  I just hope CH remembers this next season. [/quote]

Respect is earned you can''t simply asked for it.

Yes you are correct Howson is a box to box central midfielder therefore when picked in the team he defends when the opposition is in possession of the ball and attacks when we have possession of the ball. He is not payed out of position & this can not be used as an excuse for his poor form before the last month.So no not unfair criticism.

Some people are getting carried away with the euphoria of the last couple of games. "Best midfielder we have by a country mile" I very much doubt it but he has done well for the club.

Whether or not Howson was playing in his best position or not is neither here nor there really. Ultimately, until the last few weeks, he has been pretty poor all season. Now if Houghton wishes to change his formation or tactics to get the best out of Howson, then great, hopefully he''ll continue in the same fashion that we have seen recently. However, if Houghton intends to revert back next season to similar tactics as we saw for all but a few recent games this year, then is there a role for Howson in the side? He''ll be here next season certainly, but if he can''t play the role Houghton wants him to, then he isn''t going to be the best midfielder at the club. Simple really.

The goal this weekend was quality though, and as long as Houghton sets us up in a formation which suits Howson, he will be a very good player for us next season. But I''m not getting carried away because he''s shown this year he can only really do a job in a particular set up and mindset- and it''s a set up we haven''t used very often under Hoots.

Yes, I''d say he is now our best player in the centre of midfield, better than Tettey, but not by enough that Tettey isn''t still competing for a place (not sure at the moment if Tettey is sdtill better defensively, although that''s definitely his strength whereas Howson is now more of a rounded player, hence when we''re wanting to hold what we''ve got it makes sense to bring on Tettey now - of course on Sunday it was BJ who was taken off rather than Howson which speaks volumes in itself.

On the goal, casting my mind back it reminds me a bit of the Cruyff run at the start of the ''74 World Cup final (which I''ve only seen on video) - Cruyff picked the ball up deep in the Dutch half and basically just surged through the middle cutting the West German defence apart, until eventually he was brought down in the box for a clear penalty.  Must look that one up on Youtube for another viewing.

(The grammar comment was aimed at my own post rather than ICF''s)

ICF - I believe Tettey and Johnson will be in direct competition next season. Possibly those two will play together, with Howson given more freedom, but I think we''ll see Tettey or BJ alongside Howson (or new signing in a similar mould).

[quote user="Aggy"](The grammar comment was aimed at my own post rather than ICF''s) ICF - I believe Tettey and Johnson will be in direct competition next season. Possibly those two will play together, with Howson given more freedom, but I think we''ll see Tettey or BJ alongside Howson (or new signing in a similar mould).[/quote]

Yes, that seems to be the way it''s going - which bodes well.

I don''t know whether RVW can play up front on his own with Wes just behind (or a signing to compete with Wes here).  Haven''t seen enough of RVW to have a view on how/where he''ll fit in and the implications for our other players/ formations.

[quote user="Aggy"]Whether or not Howson was playing in his best position or not is neither here nor there really. Ultimately, until the last few weeks, he has been pretty poor all season. Now if Houghton wishes to change his formation or tactics to get the best out of Howson, then great, hopefully he''ll continue in the same fashion that we have seen recently. However, if Houghton intends to revert back next season to similar tactics as we saw for all but a few recent games this year, then is there a role for Howson in the side? He''ll be here next season certainly, but if he can''t play the role Houghton wants him to, then he isn''t going to be the best midfielder at the club. Simple really.

The goal this weekend was quality though, and as long as Houghton sets us up in a formation which suits Howson, he will be a very good player for us next season. But I''m not getting carried away because he''s shown this year he can only really do a job in a particular set up and mindset- and it''s a set up we haven''t used very often under Hoots.[/quote]

Howson himself has said that he has come into good form in recent weeks. My view is that it has coincided with the team and tactics being more positive.

Tom - yeah, but the point is surely that the players and the tactics have to fit together. If Howson can only play well in the slightly more attacking and pressurising formations we''ve seen in the last couple of weeks, then we either need to play like that more often, or he''ll only be a bit part player again next year. I''m not sure he''s good enough to build the whole team around, and it seems that Hughton prefers the more defensive minded approach we''ve seen for the majority of this season. If he continues to favour it again next season, it doesn''t matter how good Howson has been in the last few weeks, he won''t be a key player next season in the same way that he hasn''t been a key player this (through no fault of his own necessarily).

I don''t really buy into this stuff about Howson being rubbish for most of the season only just now coming good.

I think very recently we have seen him playing with more freedom and being allowed to play in a way that really shows what he can do.

However, before that, I thought (and said on here) that he was doing a good job for the team even if it didn''t give him a chance to show what he can really do. He was doing a lot of thankless work.

Even at the WBA game there was someone sitting near me barking out "come on Howson, move!" pretty much everytime he wasn''t in possession of the ball. Of course that guy obviously failed to understand that if Howson wasn''t sprinting around the pitch like a mad man it was because he was taking up very sensible positions to keep the shape/cover another player/provide an outlet for someone else in possession etc.

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="Mervmeister"]Gat player, shame it takes a couple of goals for people to realise it. Same with Hughton, all those Hughton out people habe short memories.[/quote]

err....... you are missing the point that it has been Hughton that has been playing him in a defensive role, and only when the proverbial two fingers were stuck up and the players decided to go for it has he really been able to show his true abilities

[/quote]

errr.............. you''re not STILL peddling this load of claptrap are you?

"and only when the proverbial two fingers were stuck up and the players decided to go for it" - there were no proverbial two fingers, the players decision to "go for it" was at the behest and exhortation of the management - anything else is delusional!