Sign in to follow this  
KeelansGlove

Squad 2013-14

So the season is over and its time to reflect on what we need to have in place for next season.

GK Ruddy , Bunn , Rudd

FB Martin , Garrido , Whittaker +1

CB Bassong , Turner , Bennett (Martin) +1

CM Johnson , Tettey , Howson , Hoolahan + 2

WM Snodgrass , Pilkington , Bennett, Surman +1

STR RVW , Holt , Becchio , +1

This would be a squad of 25

I think we are all pretty happy with the defence and see the additional defenders perhaps being backup to what we already have or perhaps players for the future ( I wouldn''t mind Ayala back in the squad as 5th choice CB) If the story about Tierney is true I would imagine we will look to invest in another left back.

CM is I think the key area that we need to look at, we have a number of players with good attributes but not in one player.

We need a player with Tettey''s tenacity , Fox''s passing and Yaya Toure''s running with the ball and shooting. That''s the big money signing we  need.

Secondly we need an attacking midfielder who shoots on sight and has an eye for a pass. a young Lampard ?

Regarding width / additional striking options I would think perhaps one player could do both to give us more options but pace is the number 1 requirement someone like Victor Moses please !

Personally I would do the following.

Get a young promising full back from the lower leagues to come in for the future.

Give Ayala a chance to push his way into contention.

Spend big on a real quality box to box Midfielder

Get a blistering quick player equally happy upfront or on the wing.

I think we have a number of players that could play behind a lone striker in the No10 role Snodgrass , Bennett , Maybe even RVW or Becchio

This would also allow us to keep the following players around the squad for next year.   Fox , Butterfield or Vaughan

This Summer will be very interesting one way or another

The important thing is to buy players that Improve our first 11, not our squad.

Id rather us buy 3 players that are real quality then 6-8 to rotate.

My wishlist is

A centre half to partner Bassong

A defensive Midfield player

And A Winger

Leaving

Ruddy

Whittaker New Bassong Garrido

New BJ/Tettey

Snoddy/Pilks Howson New

RVW

[quote user="CDMullins"]The important thing is to buy players that Improve our first 11, not our squad.

My wishlist is

And A Winger

Leaving

Ruddy

New BJ/Tettey

Snoddy/Pilks Howson New

RVW[/quote]

Really? You want us to buy a new centre back even tho a lot are saying Turner would have been POTS with a better start to the season and Bennett has been fantastic since he has come in. With Russ Martin as back up I think we are more than fine at centre back,

You want another defensive midfielder? Surely Tettey and BJ cover that very nicely. I would much prefer money on a creative midfielder. One like you said will be a starter, not a squad player. We have Howson as the squad/back up for the creative midfielder.

I do agree with a having a new left winger to fight it out with Pilks

Football is a squad game if we only concentrate on first 11 and get injuries we are screwed.

Harsh on Martin

I would also say Turner and Bennett have done enough in the second half of the season to not require a new starter.

Not convinced Howson is generally better than Hoolahan in that position depends which player turns up next year, the one who did nothing for most of the season or the world beater from the last month.

I''d just about agree with that.

We almost certainly need a winger and a ball playing or box to box midfielder. Those two are essential. In many ways, if we got those two positions sorted (plus Garrido and RVW) I wouldn''t be too upset if we didn''t sign anyone else of note.

If we get those two positions sorted and still have some cash, then a young full back, a centre back and a pacey striker-cum-winger type would be useful acquisitions, but I wouldn''t want us to spend money just for the sake of it on these areas. If we can afford someone who is good enough and available at the right place then get them. If not, we can probably make our current squad stretch enough - there is no point replacing our current average players with other average players who need a transfer fee.

And before the Howson comments come out - yes he''s looked a lot better in the past fortnight or so, but rather average before that. Get in a box to box or Fox-type player and then we''ve got the new signing, Howson and Hoolahan competing for two places in one combination or other (new signing +Howson/Hoolahan or Howson + Hoolahan).

[quote user="Butterbean_Canary"]

[quote user="CDMullins"]The important thing is to buy players that Improve our first 11, not our squad.

My wishlist is

And A Winger

Leaving

Ruddy

New BJ/Tettey

Snoddy/Pilks Howson New

RVW[/quote]

Really? You want us to buy a new centre back even tho a lot are saying Turner would have been POTS with a better start to the season and Bennett has been fantastic since he has come in. With Russ Martin as back up I think we are more than fine at centre back,

You want another defensive midfielder? Surely Tettey and BJ cover that very nicely. I would much prefer money on a creative midfielder. One like you said will be a starter, not a squad player. We have Howson as the squad/back up for the creative midfielder.

[/quote]

Bennett has huge potential but don''t think he is quite ready to become part of our first choice partnership just yet. Turner has done very well but is prone to the odd mistake.

For a side who prides themselves on their defensive play we still concede too many goals.

I think Howson will be a key player next year and having a new Def-Mid and one of BJ/Tettey will give Howson (and the 2 wingers) the security and cover to allow him to play his normal game.

I find it easier to look at replacing current players who are likely to move on:

Tierney (new quality LB)

Barnett (new quality CB)

Fox (new quality box-to-box ACM)

Jackson (new quality striker)

Camp (new quality pacey LW)

Obviously, it will depend on the budget available, but that would be a considerable strengthening of the squad, IMO.

[quote user="Butterbean_Canary"]

My wishlist is

And A Winger

Leaving

Ruddy

New BJ/Tettey

Snoddy/Pilks Howson New

RVW[/quote]

[/quote]We desperately need another centre half, have a look at the results when Bassong didn''t play - off the top of my head I think he missed Fulham on the opening day and both Liverpool games; without him our defense looked lost and if he picked up a long term injury we need a leader to come in at the back. Bennett and Turner are great second centre backs but neither of them will lead the line next year.I think we need an improved DM and creative Mid - BJ and Tetty are good but as the first few posts said we need to improve the overall quality of the first team and whilst they are good and should be here next year an improved version would be important for us.

I think we were at our best when we had a policy of ''one and a spare'' ie obvious first choice and spare as back up to cover injury, loss of form or to counter the opposing team- as in Stoke will require a different approach to Swansea.Currently we haveRuddy/ BunnMartin/Bennett/ Turner/Bassong/Whittaker/GarridoTettey/Johnson/Howson/Snodgrass/ Bennett/Pilks/HoolyHolt/Bechio/RVW18 playerswithSurnam/Fox/Butterfield likely to stayleaving 4 places (new players) as -left back (who could cover centre if needed), wide left/middlestrikercreative midfieldergiving 25 playersThat presumes Butterfield is not out on loan and the rest move on .......  and we don''t sell any of our squad

I sorry but the people who think Whittaker should start instead of Russ are deluded. Russ is the most underrated player we have and has been the most consistent player for us over the last 3 seasons. A role model and great professional.

I find it weirdsomeone said we need to replace Fox with an Attacking Midfielder.

The team is crying out for a passing DM. Someone to pick the ball up from the back four and move the play forward quickly with good accurate long balls. While still being able to put the boot in where necessary.

If we want a box to box midfielder surely we have one, he is called Howson?

We don''t have that deep lying playmaker, equally comfortable spraying passes and putting in a robust challenge.

[quote user="Paul"]I sorry but the people who think Whittaker should start instead of Russ are deluded. Russ is the most underrated player we have and has been the most consistent player for us over the last 3 seasons. A role model and great professional.[/quote]
I thought Webster looked a class act against City again this weekend. I don''t think there''s much in it, both more than capable midtable fullbacks. I just personally feel Whittaker has a little bit more composure about him. Martin sometimes has me worried and isn''t great at dealing with an overlapping winger.

Whittaker, not Webster - don''t know where that came from!

Nope, but individual goals and errors happen. Martin getting skinned alive in the cup at the Hawthorns last season and almost singlehandedly costing us the tie sticks in my mind as one such example!

Both are also very useful to have due to their flexibility; Martin showed at the weekend yet again that he is capable of filling in at centre half and not looking out of place whilst Whittaker can switch to the left flank as well.

Can''t believe there is any doubt over Turner''s place in the team. He has been an absolute tower of strength for us and being recognised as POTS by his colleagues shows you how very good he has been.

Wanting to strengthen the starting 11 is not the same as not valuing the existing players.    

We have to improve all positions season on season and we can buy better and improve all outfield positions - none of this seasons regular starters should be complacent about their starting position,   including snodgrass or pilkington who imo are our outstanding players.

Improving strength in depth is key to our sustained success (and why the 10 released is a good thing).   Players like Turner have been invaluable this season,   if he or seb ends up third choice centre back next year it will vividly show how much our squad has improved - and not a slight on either player.

For me the priorities are 2 central midfielders,  a striker with pace and a central defender.

[quote user="Paul"]I sorry but the people who think Whittaker should start instead of Russ are deluded. Russ is the most underrated player we have and has been the most consistent player for us over the last 3 seasons. A role model and great professional.[/quote]

Not deluded. They just have a different opinion to you.

I change my mind constantly about which of the two should start and am very pleased we have them both.

I agree with the general view that we need about 6 players but they should be better quality than those leaving/on the fringe this season. This is a squad game and we will have to cope with injuries and suspensions. LB, CB ,winger[fast] attacking M/F and 1 striker if Holt stays 2 if he goes