Sign in to follow this  
kentcanary

Butterfield anyone?

Interesting to see Butterfield on th bench. Has obviously struggled to overcome a bad injury. On the bench instead of Jackson suggests he is still in the manager''s plans and we know now Jackson was not.

I really can''t see Butterfield stepping up to the first team next season.

I''d get him out on a season long loan to see if he can recapture his previous form.

I don''t think Hughton wants to let everyone go on a free, so the likes of Butterfield, Surman and other fringe players who have a worth might well still be leaving jut not for free.

I don''t see the point of buyin Butterfield and loaning him out for a second season. It might just be that we keep him and monitor his progress through the first half of the season with a view to keeping or selling come January.

I think there are a good few class player coming this summer and space is at a premium.

Hughton signed him and it was known that he wascoming back from a bad injury. This would have taken time even in the championship let alone stepping up a level. I am sure at his age he has a lot to offer and will be gradually introduced into proceedings throughout next season

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Hughton signed him and it was known that he wascoming back from a bad injury. This would have taken time even in the championship let alone stepping up a level. I am sure at his age he has a lot to offer and will be gradually introduced into proceedings throughout next season[/quote]

Lambert signed Butterfield - I remember him giving an interview to a local radio station in South Yorkshire as his signing was announced and he basically said it was strange to be signed by a manager who had left the club before he had even arrived.

I imagine Hughton might have had a chance to squash the deal - but if the contract had been signed before Lambert left then Hughton was probably stuck with Butterfield.

Yes Butterfield has been coming back from a nasty injury, but the recovery is taking a lot longer than it should - the fact he has been nothing more than a bench player whilst loaned out suggests to me that he might not have much of a future at Norwich. Barnsley fans will tell you he was great for 6 months, but that really isn''t a long enough period of time for a player to prove their long-term worth.

He needs a full season on loan at one club in the Championship and to get about 30 games under his belt - if he manages this and impresses he could get back into the Norwich squad. To be honest I doubt we''ll see him pick up more than 20 games for Norwich, and wouldn''t be surprised if he is sold this summer.

He''s going to have to do a lot in pre-season to force his way into the manager''s thinking.

Hard to see him doing enough to force out any midfielder who has played regularly this season and on top of that he''s got to compete with any new signings we bring in.

I don''t expect to see too much of him in a Norwich shirt next season (or ever).

He''s gone out on loan and played 17 games. A lot more than he would have gotten here.

He will start pre season a year wiser and more experienced.

When he played in the cup this year he looked good.

I think it depends on who comes in as an ACM. If it''s an under 21 like Van Ginkel or Maher, City could afford to keep Butterfield as another option in the squad.

In my opinion, Bethnal''s point of view is generally worth listening to - he usually has a pretty good idea of what he talking about.

Whilst I don''t know whether Lambert signed him or not, I''d imagine that Hughton would have had the opportunity to approve the move. Hoots would have seen what the lad was capable of as Birmingham manager, so potentially knew what Butterfield could do better than anyone.

The big factor in the whole Butterfield saga this season has been, I think, more to do with homesickness... as daft as that sounds. Jacob is a young lad and he had never lived away from Barnsley. This was the first move of his career and he moved here on his own (he is single) to live in a hotel, and he was injured, so couldn''t participate fully with the team.

Living in an unfamiliar city for the first time, all alone, no space to call his own, and frustrated by the injury: of course he didn''t settle.

The point of his loans, I think, was not just to get him sharp, it was to help him adjust to being away from home. After all, he could have gone back to Barnsley on loan - I''m sure they''d have loved him back.

2012/13

Marco Van Ginkel (20) - 47 games, 14 goals, 12 assists

Wesley Hoolahan (31) - 39 games, 5 goals, 6 assists

Jacob Butterfield (22) - 25 games, 0 goals, 0 assists

Stats only prove so much, JG.

From what I can tell, Bolton were particularly impressed with Butterfield and wanted him back. Crystal Palace fans were impressed with him as well, but didn''t understand why Holloway didn''t give him more of a chance. In fact, his last start for Palace was their last win for a few months (or something).

Although he didn''t score or get any assists, he was positive and made goal scoring chances. He''s a good player.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]2012/13

Marco Van Ginkel (20) - 47 games, 14 goals, 12 assists

Wesley Hoolahan (31) - 39 games, 5 goals, 6 assists

Jacob Butterfield (22) - 25 games, 0 goals, 0 assists[/quote]

May aswell forget van ginkel! One random piece of paper talk yet he''s said he would only want to leave for champions league football with Milan and utd linked. Slightly harsh on butterfield considering he has made the majority of his appearances from the bench. Also this season I believe hoolahan has 2 goals and 3 assists

Wes makes things tick but I do think the position he plays in he needs to contribute more directly with goals/assists with 1 upfront. When we played the diamond it didn''t matter so much but with the loan striker id still like to see more.

Howson will probably progress into that role, it''s his favourite position he''s said it several times.

As for van ginkel I can never get excited about 1 paper, we are linked with over 100+ each summer yet we always believe the ones we want to, whereas the majority of our signings come from the blue anyway