Sign in to follow this  
Jacks Back

Is Butterfield the next Hoolahan?

Just wanting to get some other opinions on this.   Wes is now in his 30s, and  I think next season will probably be his last at this level.  So do you think Butterfield is a long-term replacement for Hoolahan?  They play in the very similar position and have generally the same attributes.  I remember when he came on at Peterborough in the cup  he looked very promising  (but then again, anyone would''ve looked good against that lot) 

[quote user="Jack''s Back"]Just wanting to get some other opinions on this.   Wes is now in his 30s, and  I think next season will probably be his last at this level.  So do you think Butterfield is a long-term replacement for Hoolahan?  They play in the very similar position and have generally the same attributes.  I remember when he came on at Peterborough in the cup  he looked very promising  (but then again, anyone would''ve looked good against that lot) 

Why will it probably be wessi''s last season at this level? Wes is in the peak of his career, I think at times this season he''s played his best stuff for us. Wes''s attributes aren''t pace and power so I really don''t see how he will dramatically deteriate now he''s in his 30''s. I can see him doing a job for anther 2-3 years at this level.

It really annoys me how people right some of our proven squad players off and see replacements in players that are not as good or proven. I see butterfield as potential competion to Wes but not a replacement.

Wes has definitely matured a lot in the last few seasons. He''s less a terrier on the ball now, and much more refined in his ability to keep and pass the ball. Some of his touches this year have been as good as Messi. He looked very lightweight in our first season, getting shoved off the ball and losing the ball a fair amount, we certainly have not seen that this year. He''s still got a lot to offer, and has to be one of the first names near the teamsheet most weeks. He''s definitely reached his top form this year, and rightfully been called up, and scored, for his country.

Butterfield is still relatively young, but from what I''ve seen of him (possibly not 100% fit) is a player with promise for the future. I''m not sure we''ll see him in the first team squad again next year though, pre-season will be the chance to show us all what he''s got.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]We will sign someone for that position who is better than both of them.[/quote]

Indeed, I would be very surprised if Wes is "one of the first names on the team sheet" next year. Much more likely in to be on the bench, playing in the Cups, covering for injury type of squad player. Useful all the same for maybe c20 games per season. I expect Howson, Wes and one or more newcomers to be fighting for two places in the team.

Back to the thread but sorry, I don''t think Butterfield will get a game or still be at the club this time next year.

As I said on the other Butterfield post, I think it depends on who comes in as an ACM. If it''s an under 21 like Van Ginkel or Maher, City could afford to keep Butterfield as another option in the squad.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]We will sign someone for that position who is better than both of them.[/quote]

You''re talking out of your rear-end again !

Six Pack wrote -

"You''re talking out of your rear-end again !"

Playing 4-4-1-1 we have relied on Wes as the second striker/AM. You think that with the amount of cash we now have available we won''t be able to replace him with someone more effective in that role? I would suggest that you are the one talking out of your backside.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Six Pack wrote - "You''re talking out of your rear-end again !" Playing 4-4-1-1 we have relied on Wes as the second striker/AM. You think that with the amount of cash we now have available we won''t be able to replace him with someone more effective in that role? I would suggest that you are the one talking out of your backside.[/quote]

While I wouldn''t use such fruity language Joanna is correct, this is one of the positions Norwich really need to upgrade in, not a dig at Hoolahan but Norwich just need a few more options.

Butterfield is more like Howson - runs at defences, and has a very good shot with either foot. Many of his passes are made at speed, whereas Wes tends to beat his man by dribbling and passing from a relative static situation - hence his great accuracy.

I hope that Butterfield comes good. We may see more of him after the time since his injury and after a summer break. If he can produce his best, he could be very useful!

Thanks BYAG, it seems that some people think that RVW is a younger, like-for-like replacement for Holt when in reality Holt does a lot more in terms of teamwork. RVW is a goal getter, he will need a good supply line(s) and we need to improve in this area, not only in the second striker/AM position but on the wings as well.

Hoolahan is our most technically gifted player. But we do need real competition and perhaps a different alternative to play the role he does. Probably another creative attacking midfielder with decent pace, height and strength.

Not asking for much then. [:D]

forgot Butterfiel was actually here!

he wont be the next Wes, I wonder if we will see him that much other than against tin pot sides in the cup?

Joanna Grey wrote the following post at 21/05/2013 12:07 PM:

Thanks BYAG, it seems that some people think that RVW is a younger, like-for-like replacement for Holt when in reality Holt does a lot more in terms of teamwork. RVW is a goal getter, he will need a good supply line(s) and we need to improve in this area, not only in the second striker/AM position but on the wings as well.

You have another supporter. Not only could Wes have competition for his position it may be that an out and out second striker could play instead of the AM position.

Fully agree with that we need pace on the wings as well.

Yellow Wall wrote -

"You have another supporter. Not only could Wes have competition for his position it may be that an out and out second striker could play instead of the AM position.

Fully agree with that we need pace on the wings as well. "

Yeah, I was just going on the assumption that CH would continue with the same tactics/formation. I would hope that we bring in sufficient quality over the summer for him to be able to mix it up a bit next season.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Six Pack wrote -

"You''re talking out of your rear-end again !"

Playing 4-4-1-1 we have relied on Wes as the second striker/AM. You think that with the amount of cash we now have available we won''t be able to replace him with someone more effective in that role? I would suggest that you are the one talking out of your backside.[/quote]

But Hoolahan isn''t a striker is he ?

He was brought in to booster the midfield by Houghton when things were going pretty badly for us at the beginning of the season.

His role is to link play from midfield enabling the team to gain & keep possession of the ball, encouraging his team mates to pass the ball and therefore gaining momentum of the game by holding the ball and depriving the opposition of it.

No doubt yourself & other boneheads had written off Hoolahan before the start of the season as you did the start of the season before.

But the glamour boys who were recruited at the start of the season were not quite up to it were they ? playing against real live premiership opposition - we were deep in trouble before Hughton had the sense to bring back Hoolahan. just like the season before with Lambert.

Don''t underestimate his role - it is pivotal & we have stayed up as a result. He was not brought in to score a truck load of goals or make every final pass - his role was to ensure we had possession of the ball and not the opposition.

Van wolfwinkel costed about 8.5 million and can be a second striker to Holt - that is an option. We may recruit a number of european players that have scored many goals in other leagues - we now have the money but so do the other clubs. Do we automatically buy better than the other clubs ? I don''t know - do not think so but I know one player that is automatically a better buy - that''s Hoolahan.

Can these new recruits promise success against the top sides ? They better be good because the player you think they are replacing has done it - Manure, Arsenal, Man City.

If you still don''t grasp what happening on the football pitch - best start following a sport you understand.