Sign in to follow this  
dpit

So, retrospectively, when were we safe?

Doesn''t mean diddley squat of course and purely hypothetical but just for fun, given that Wigan went down on 36 points, does anyone remember when we got to 37, thus making us retrospectively safe at that stage?

Correct. And a pat on the back to all those who speculated on here at that time that we were already safe.

It is worth noting thogh, for a brief period (Half time between Wigan and Swansea) we were favourites to go down.

When I called it on the 20th November[;)]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/2904036/ShowPost.aspx

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]It is worth noting thogh, for a brief period (Half time between Wigan and Swansea) we were favourites to go down.[/quote]Exactly.Comfortable as the last two wins have been we musn''t forget how awful things were from Christmas up until then.The last three homes games were absolute agony, in the build up especially.

I don''t think you can say we were safe on 38 points, because you can''t assume all the other results would have turned out the same. For example, if Wigan had seen us still on 38 at the beginning of yesterday, I am pretty certain they would have gone all out against Villa and got the win they would have needed. As it was, they were already down so a draw didn''t really matter.

[quote user="Manchester Canary"]Was just about to post the same Power Hamster! Well said[/quote]

absolutely - if Wigan had only been 3 points behind it would have changed their attitude completely

Everton at Home

it was never in any doubt after that. too much of a gap and too many teams between us and the drop.

I''m still not sure we''re safe Dippity. There''s sooo many nightmare scenarios that I''m battling with. What if we are found to have given Holty banned substances to help him lose so much weight so quickly. I mean he was too fat one week and suddenly fine the next. Or if he was on a sedative which would explain why that red card waiting to happen never happened. Could we then get a points deduction?

If it wasn''t drugs then what did work so quickly for Holty? I''ve got a bit of a belly that I''d like to lose in a similar timescale [:$]

[quote user="Thirsty Lizard"]We were NEVER totally dependent on other results Jack. Stop peddling this nonsense.[/quote]

lol, it''s a bit like claiming Man U are lucky champions because teams below them lost more games. Don''t posters think that our league position might just have something to do with the points that WE earned throughout the full 38 games, and not just the last two? 

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]

[quote user="Thirsty Lizard"]We were NEVER totally dependent on other results Jack. Stop peddling this nonsense.[/quote]

lol, it''s a bit like claiming Man U are lucky champions because teams below them lost more games. Don''t posters think that our league position might just have something to do with the points that WE earned throughout the full 38 games, and not just the last two? 

[/quote]

I honestly don''t think they get this. Or, they do, and are being disingenuous.