Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Rider

Flem survives - AGAIN!!

Many of us on this board are of the opinion that Flem should be shipped out (or at least not be a starter) next season. I always knew this would not happen and Worthy''s coments today all but confirm that.

Sure, Flem has been a great servant but he was poor last season but played every single game!I''m far from convinced that ''normal service will be resumed'' next season (just beause we''ve dropped down a division). He is losing pace and will be exposed by several strikers in The Championship. More importantly he is not a good enough partner for Shacks in terms of communication, encouragement and general example. Mistakes are always someone elses fault and if you ball watch in The Premier you will do the same in The Championship!

Doc and Charlie may as well leave now (assuming Worthy keeps faith with Shacks). They will never get a game unless Flem gets injured.

Now we have to just pray that Worthy does not follow suit with Holt. I would''nt put any money on that though!  

I thought the same thing when I read what Worthy said today about Flem.  I have been a big fan of Flem in the past BUT I and everyone with a pair of eyes could see he was hopelessly lost last season, well everyone except Worthy.  Flem was consistently one of the worst players we had last season and the thought of him lining up for 40 odd games next year makes me worry.

As a squad player he will be fine but I would like to see a Doc / Shackell partnership.  I think with a bit of a confidence boost the Doc could be good.  Plus they could be a partnership for many years to come.  Flem is not the future!

Worthington may be right to say that Fleming is a "great proffesional" as quoted on one of the Pinkun news stories but what Worthy appears to be overlooking is that being a great professional doesn''t mean that he can tackle/mark players at corners/show the leadership skills required. These are qualities severely lacking in Fleming over the last year.

He should be a squad player not a regular starter IMO.

Again, another case of great servant to the club, but getting on. And one of Worthys (but getter fewer in recent seasons) mistakes from last year. When Flem had a rubbish game, drop him. But, again Flem must be one of Worthys favourites because he obviously never did any wrong last year! Charlton always did well when he came in and i agree that Docherty, with a bit of confidence, could be a better player. I still reckon keep him on though, but please not every game!!

i can understand worthy fully by calling him a ''true professional'', as he is. BUT he couldnt cut the colmans last year as all of you have said. I thought Charlton had a great start to the season, but just seemed to fade away. As with Doherty, its visibile that he isn''t the forward type unless its an emergency. However i thought he was brought in as a sole defender and dont get why he didnt get more of a chance in that centre back position. He didnt make any more mistakes than Flemming. In my opinion we should use Doherty instead of Flemming, but if possbiloe bring in a new face. Doherty will be able to cope easily in the fizzy pop league. Time to give Flemmings tired old legs a rest. He has been a revelation for us, bout id like to see him go now before he messes around and end up leaving with most City fans p**sed off with him!

Its a cunning ploy by Worthington to talk Fleming up in order to entince a bid from another club.

[quote]Its a cunning ploy by Worthington to talk Fleming up in order to entince a bid from another club.[/quote]

Maybe West Ham will take him off our hands - after all, they appear to want all our other reject defenders

Saint, you''re right. Doc and Shackell would be an awesome partnership for the next 8-10 years if we get them going soon. They can be our very own Adams and Keown! Come on Nigel, you know it makes sense.

There seems to be a small circle of people at FCR that seem to think Flem is a solid defender. Even that guy at the Pink''un shortlisted him for player of the season!

Are these people seeing something invisible to the untrained eye?

[quote]There seems to be a small circle of people at FCR that seem to think Flem is a solid defender. Even that guy at the Pink''un shortlisted him for player of the season! Are these people seeing somethin...[/quote]

It seems that our manager and coaching staff all believe that Fleming and Holt should be automatic first choices if they are fit.  Overall I think Worthy has done well in his time at Norwich, but loyalty to under performing players may yet prove to be his downfall.  If he starts the season with Fleming and Holt then it sends out a message to all the other clubs in the Championship that we are kicking the season off with at least a weakness in two positions.

I know that not everyone will agree with me, but I thought Edworthy played better than Fleming last season, and Worthy has got rid of him.

I agree that Flem''s errors cost us dearly last season - Doc''s handball resulted from Flem completely missing a fairly elementary header, with a resulting penalty, and the number of times he was out of position or didn''t get an effective tackle in, again leading to goals, was just too many. He is just not good enough for the premiership, and should not have played as many games!

Whether he would be able to cope back in the lower division is a more difficult question. I have a suspicion that he was carried by the decisiveness of Malky when we were there before, so it could be that he will struggle again.

We need a good central defender to partner Shackle on a long term basis. I do not see the Doc as this, although he is good in the air. I would prefer Charlton, who may be shorter but who looked good early in the premiership season, but of course time is ot on his side! We need a new one, even if Helweg returns. My concern is that we may leak goals as we did in the premiership, even if we score several. Last season the midfield at times looked open, and other sides could attack at will. If we are carrying a central defender.....