Sign in to follow this  
kentcanary

Becchio anyone?

I cannot see how Becchio is going to get many games next season. He has struggled to make the bench some weeks and was behind Kamara in the pecking order and he was not considered good enough to keep. We will have RVW and Holt but need the balance of two other strikers with pace. I hope Hughton looks again at Vaughan as maybe there is a lot more to come from him and his potential is beginning to show.

In my opinion we''ll be playing the same formation with RVW in Hoolahans role, then Becchio, Holt and a new striker competing for the centre forward spot.

I agree with the OP inasmuch I''d keep Vaughan. With his pace he could cause all sort of trouble to opposition defenses - even as an impact sub. I''m not so sure about Holt''s future, however I''m certain that it makes little sense to keep Holt AND Becchio, as they are too similar, so I expect one or the other to leave.

I cannot see RVW playing in Hoolihan''s role. Why pay £8.5 million for a player and then play him out of position? Look what happened to Howson  until he played in his best role.

Much will depend on the quality of the midfield we can finally put out. If the quality is increased (- the promise to RvW), then we don''t need Holt out on the wing. Rather we need someone quick enough in thought and in movement, to feed RvW and to receive from him. On this Becchio probably has the edge over Holt.

I''m assuming that at home, at least, we are likely to see two strikers, one of who will be RvW. Strangely, however, our new signing seems happy to play on his own so long as other players are around the penalty area when he is.

Possible in jury or suspension is a good reason to have four main strikers, so if we do not sign another I imagine that Vaughan may be retained. In the absence of injury/suspension the third striker may get on as a sub, but the fourth?

It seems clear that unless we sign another striker Holt and Becchio will be competing for the second striker place. As things are I would give the nod to Becchio.

Becchio will be ahead of Holt next season, although I don''t even think Holt will be here at all.

I think we''ll play in the same formation. RVW as lone striker, Holt and Becchio/another competing for RVW''s most direct replacement, and a pacey striker to mix things up if needed (Vaughan/another).

I think whether we go with Vaughan or Becchio will be up to the players more than our management to be honest. If they are happy to be at the club as likely third and fourth choices then I think we''d be happy to keep them and spend money on other areas of the squad. If they don''t want to be here, we may as well sell them and open up a position in the 25 man squad for direct replacements.

Clearly 4-2-3-1 will be the default formation with RVW the lone striker and Wes in the hole. We''ll probably get in another attacking midfielder to give Hoolahan competition. The 4-3-3 experiment was a flop and our midfield gets overrun in a 4-4-2.Hughton has said he sees Holt and Becchio as similar players so it''s difficult to see them both on the bench and I can''t see how he''s going to solve that problem.

I think the signings of Becchio and Kamara were a bit of a panic as we were not getting Hooper or anyone else.Just cannot see Becchio being anything but 4th striker and would prefer a pacier option.

I think there are differences between Holt and Becchio. Holt likes to drift out wide so he''s marked by a FB rather than a CB, and it allows him to use his skill of scoring from tight angles. Becchio is a more central striker, dropping deeper to draw CBs out of position or to get a run on goal. I could see them both having value against different opposition next season. Retaining Vaughan would allow more money to be spent on the midfield (ACM, LW and/or DM) and defense (CB & LB), but it may well depend on how much money there is in the budget and who''s available, with an emphasis on quality rather than quantity.

I''m not entirely sure if RVW will fit into Hughtons 4-5-1 formation, he likes to play up top with someone. Playing him in a 4-4-1-1 would work, but he ain''t no Hoolahan, he''s more like Shane Long

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]I think there are differences between Holt and Becchio. Holt likes to drift out wide so he''s marked by a FB rather than a CB, and it allows him to use his skill of scoring from tight angles. Becchio is a more central striker, dropping deeper to draw CBs out of position or to get a run on goal. I could see them both having value against different opposition next season. Retaining Vaughan would allow more money to be spent on the midfield (ACM, LW and/or DM) and defense (CB & LB), but it may well depend on how much money there is in the budget and who''s available, with an emphasis on quality rather than quantity.[/quote]Agreed. Holt also has the ability to hold a ball up lay it off to others and draw fouls which having watched Becchio he is unable to achieve. Holt also runs the flanks and will close people down and put in challenges, he can also put in a good cross none of which specifically relate to Becchio. Becchio has better ball skill and prefers playing at feet (i.e. Howson''s goal against WBA) He also has a good shot on him, the majority of Holt''s goals are bundled in from two yards out (not a skill to be sniffed at but I struggle to remember many goals from shots outside the 6 yard box). They''re very different players in my opinion but are both capable of putting the ball in the net.

Re Kamara, it''s not accurate to say that Becchio was behind Kamara in the pecking order. I feel pretty certain that the reason Kamara got more games is becuase he had a pretty short loan period and CH and team needed to assess him to decide whether to keep him or not. And not least because initially he had a positive impact on the team, but his influence began to fade after a few games. Then you had the possibility of us being relegated, which could have influenced our decision to keep him. Obviously with Becchio there was no need to assess him so he kind of got the raw end of the deal there. If we hadn''t have bothered signing Kamara, Becchio would have got a lot more games. And it wouldn''t have been rocket science to imagine that Howson, Snodgrass and Becchio on the pitch together could work very well.  I hope we get to see more of that next season.

As for RvW in a lone front man role, this is the position he has played with Sporting, albeit in a very different way to the way we play it with Holt (recommend Michael Bailey''s article from his scouting mission to watch RvW in action). I think this is what attracted us to him because he gives us a very different option in a 4-5-1 than Holt does, eventhough it''s the same formation. Just goes to show how tactics need not only be about formations. He looks for space between defenders, with midfielders looking to find him with through balls or balls in to space. But i''m sure he can play in a two as well so we have all sorts of exciting options to look forward to!

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]Agree with that. I think Kamara also had pace, which City were desperately in need of in the run-in to stop opposing teams playing a high-line in defence.[/quote]Had a good shot, strong in the air and a positive attitude that rubbed off on the rest of the team #bringbackkamara

I quite like Becchio and I think we got a glimpse of what he can do against WBA.

For Howson''s goal he won the header and directed it nicely into his path, taking the weight off it as he did so. He then moved to take up a position where he occupied defenders and gave Howson an outlet for their 1-2 before Howson unleashed that rather superb shot.

It was good play from Becchio and I''m sure he has plenty more to offer if he gets a run of games.

Despite coming on in the last minute, he was unlucky not to get a goal against Man City. If Tettey had crossed it Becchio would easily have put it away. A lot of people have said the strikers were not getting service but a good striker will get into positions that invite service and Becchio can do that.

[quote user="Kangaroo Court"]Despite coming on in the last minute, he was unlucky not to get a goal against Man City. If Tettey had crossed it Becchio would easily have put it away. A lot of people have said the strikers were not getting service but a good striker will get into positions that invite service and Becchio can do that.
[/quote]

Too true KC - and as GJP said before you, his assist against WBA would have given him 1 assist and 1 goal in a couple of minutes of play! Not a bad return for a "supposed" panic buy!

He''s never had much of a chance to prove himself here so must be kept. Having two similar players is no reason to get rid of one of them as we need back-up for injuries, suspension, loss of form etc.