Sign in to follow this  
Oswald Cobblepot

Van Wolfwinkel's final two goals for Sporting (Highlights)

http://football-highlight.com/en/europe/portugal-superliga/2013-05-19-beira-mar-sporting-lisbon.html

Apologies if these have already been put up by anyone else. Not the best highlights, but the only site I''ve managed to find so far showing them. Two excellent goals. Should''ve been a hattrick though with the 1v1 he ought to have put away at the start! :-p

Can''t wait to see him in action with us. Fingers crossed for a successful 2013/14 campaign!

Second goal was awesome! Looking forward to having a player who can get in behind the back four like that next year (off the ball as FM would call it).

Inzaghi (when he wasn''t offside) was a master at this, Solskjear was pretty good as was Owen at his peak.

Should Howson be thrust into that more predominant role next season, his link up play with RVW could be key.

In the two matches I watched him play he scored 5 goals, seemingly a pretty good finisher. Let us hope he takes to English football like a Michu or Benteke.

we just have to ensure we are set up to play to his strengths, and the way we have played in the last two games suggest we will be able to do this. exciting times ahead for City fans.

[quote user="QHcanary"]He looks absolutely class. Can''t wait to see him at Carrow Rd. Excited![/quote]Sorry but that is possibly the best Avatar picture Ive ever seen on here [:D]

Oh yeah and RVW, looking like we might be the envy of a few of the clubs around as at the moment, heres hoping he can get settled nice and quick and have an excellent excellent pre-season. Its good that he will have had a long time to get himself sorted and ready to move to Norwich, one of the most important things for a player to do is be settled and not in a hotel for too long.

Am I only one who thinks he looks like a "Norwich" player - he seems to have that vibe. On top of this he also looks like total class - that second goal of his was a good example of everything we''ve been missing this season. Exciting times ahead!

I saw him play in Holland a few times, same thing, lurking behind the last defender and deadly in front of goal. FC Utrecht fans spoke very highly about Himalaya then as a 19 year old youngster.... Gonna be a great assett

I think I will defer judgement on him until the new season as the level of Portuguese football seems to be way below the Prem judging from the video and some poor defensive performances. For instance, Portugal''s top achievement this season in Europe was with Benfica and a defeat to Chelski in the Europa Cup. There is a real danger of this guy being over-hyped as a certain Marc Libbra was, so let''s wait and see how he performs in the Prem before getting carried away. 

[quote user="paul moy"]I think I will defer judgement on him until the new season as the level of Portuguese football seems to be way below the Prem judging from the video and some poor defensive performances. For instance, Portugal''s top achievement this season in Europe was with Benfica and a defeat to Chelski in the Europa Cup. There is a real danger of this guy being over-hyped as a certain Marc Libbra was, so let''s wait and see how he performs in the Prem before getting carried away.  [/quote]

From the man who campaigned for Cody Macdonald to play based on his goals in the pub league.

[quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="paul moy"]I think I will defer judgement on him until the new season as the level of Portuguese football seems to be way below the Prem judging from the video and some poor defensive performances. For instance, Portugal''s top achievement this season in Europe was with Benfica and a defeat to Chelski in the Europa Cup. There is a real danger of this guy being over-hyped as a certain Marc Libbra was, so let''s wait and see how he performs in the Prem before getting carried away.  [/quote]

From the man who campaigned for Cody Macdonald to play based on his goals in the pub league.[/quote]Well, I''m gonna stick my neck out and say that even Chris Martin or Fernando Torres might score a few more in that top Portuguese division than the Prem.

[quote user="paul moy"]I think I will defer judgement on him until the new season as the level of Portuguese football seems to be way below the Prem judging from the video and some poor defensive performances. For instance, Portugal''s top achievement this season in Europe was with Benfica and a defeat to Chelski in the Europa Cup. There is a real danger of this guy being over-hyped as a certain Marc Libbra was, so let''s wait and see how he performs in the Prem before getting carried away.  [/quote]This is hilarious.  Have you changed your opinion on footballers since the day of Cody Mac?Also Benfica lost to Chelsea, correct.  But they lost in the FINAL, far further than any team from France, Spain, Italy etc. got.  I don''t really see your point.  I agree the Portuguese league isn''t the strongest but there are still some good teams there.

You say what you want Paul, he can score goals at the highest level! We need a good striker but we can''t afford Messi to make you feel confident enough Sorry

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="paul moy"]I think I will defer judgement on him until the new season as the level of Portuguese football seems to be way below the Prem judging from the video and some poor defensive performances. For instance, Portugal''s top achievement this season in Europe was with Benfica and a defeat to Chelski in the Europa Cup. There is a real danger of this guy being over-hyped as a certain Marc Libbra was, so let''s wait and see how he performs in the Prem before getting carried away.  [/quote]This is hilarious.  Have you changed your opinion on footballers since the day of Cody Mac?Also Benfica lost to Chelsea, correct.  But they lost in the FINAL, far further than any team from France, Spain, Italy etc. got.  I don''t really see your point.  I agree the Portuguese league isn''t the strongest but there are still some good teams there.[/quote]I read recently that Cody scored 4 in his last 7 so the answer to your first question is no. I also remember that we were over-hyping a player that was playing for Dundee a season ago as we were allegedly about to sign him, and I said beware. Where is he now ?   Yes, Benfica lost to Chelski, but I don''t remember RVW playing for them.  Let''s give the guy a chance and not put too much pressure on him. Nobody knows whether he will hack it in the Prem or not, but of course we all hope so. Your last sentence there appears to agree with my assessment after all your initial fake ridicule which surely makes your post ''hilarious''.

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]You say what you want Paul, he can score goals at the highest level! We need a good striker but we can''t afford Messi to make you feel confident enough Sorry[/quote]... but ROB, with respect, Portuguese football is not the highest level, the Prem is IMO ......... thus my guarded optimism. Just my opinion of course and if you believe that Portuguese football is the highest level you are entitled to that view. I would say that German, Spanish and Italian football all rank above Portuguese......  again just my own opinion.

The goal is in the same place and the same size whatever league you play in, He knows how to finish and as our main striker will get enough chances to bag 15 Pl goals next season.

And last season Benteke was playing in the Belgium leagues, for a team that didnt win the Europa league.. Definetly not going to cut it I recon. Same as that Michu.. anyone worth only £2 million will be pish, £2 million wouldnt even get you Craig Mackail Smith!

See its daft to play the write them off, be it from a lower or european league. Top players have to start somewhere, its not a garrantee that RVW will be unstopable, but all signs point to him becoming an excellent addition to what we have and abit of a missing peice from the puzzle of this season.

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="ROBFLECK"]You say what you want Paul, he can score goals at the highest level! We need a good striker but we can''t afford Messi to make you feel confident enough Sorry[/quote]... but ROB, with respect, Portuguese football is not the highest level, the Prem is IMO ......... thus my guarded optimism. Just my opinion of course and if you believe that Portuguese football is the highest level you are entitled to that view. I would say that German, Spanish and Italian football all rank above Portuguese......  again just my own opinion. [/quote]

I don''t see overseas domestic football so I can''t make comparisons. But there is some pretty poor defending in the Premier League.

Mr Moy does have a smidge of a point - I remember a few years back when we signed Darren Beckford for a fairly big wodge, big things were expected but sadly didn''t happen.

Imo this is very different - the standing of the player is far higher and he is a full Dutch international. We perhaps shouldn''t heap too much expectation on his shoulders as he may take a bit of time to bed in - but I''m sure he will.

Watched a few games from that league and it is quite different from any of our divisions. At the end of the day what matters is getting the ball in the back of the net and if we can get that ball to RVW anywhere around the box there is a good chance that it will end up in the back of the net.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Mr Moy does have a smidge of a point - I remember a few years back when we signed Darren Beckford for a fairly big wodge, big things were expected but sadly didn''t happen.

Imo this is very different - the standing of the player is far higher and he is a full Dutch international. We perhaps shouldn''t heap too much expectation on his shoulders as he may take a bit of time to bed in - but I''m sure he will.[/quote]I didn''t realise he was a full Dutch international so I just checked and apparently he played in 2010 in a friendly against Ukraine.  So he''s not played international football for over three years and never in competition, so again there''s a reason to be cautious of over-hyping him.  If he was so highly-rated at top level I would have expected him to have had more opportunities at a competitive level.  Just an observation.

I think Paul does have a point in stating that we shouldn''t over hype him & put too much pressure on him. Whilst overall the Portuguese league is not the strongest, teams from this league do pretty well in Europa League. Benfica & Porto often cause English teams probs in Europe. As for playing for Holland well they have had a few decent strikers in the last few years. Players such as Fowler, Wright & Cole won few caps due to the likes of Shearer, Sheringham & Owen being around.

I think we should be excited by this signing but he needs to be given time to settle.

Hype and pressure would have found him out by now at Sporting Lisbon surely? Caveats apply when he arrives but no different to any other player; injuries, dips of form, taking time to adjust to new team.In front of him in the national team are Van Persie, Huntelaar and Afellay, even Kuyt at times. The way they play there is only one place between them. RVW is only 24 and with a good chance to shine in England hopefully that won''t be a stick to beat him with for too much longer.As for the question of quality re: Portugese vs English league defences I would simply point out that he scored this season and last against Benfica, and last season against Lazio and *tah-dah* Man City.What impresses me most is the way that he has scored: (just last two years) 13 with his right, 12 with his left, 9 headed goals and one tap-in. Oh and add in 8 penalties last year [curiously none this, but haven''t found/translated why yet].Data here

It''s a bit harsh to count not playing more internationals against him, when you consider the guys ahead of him in the pecking order - it isn''t England with such a pisspoor list to choose from! Actually, he may well consider that doing well in the PL would perhaps bring him a few more caps.

It''s well-nigh impossible to predict exactly how well a player will perform when he comes from an entirely different league. You just have to go with how he positions himself, movement, control, assurance, all sorts of factors that tell you whether or not the guy has the requisite class. From the little I''ve seen of him I suspect he has that class. Whereas I''m not sure that Hooper does, for example.

It''s all opinion at the moment.

But at least we''re going to find out about Ricky soon!