Sign in to follow this  
Redders Right Foot

Jeff on canary call

[quote user="dpit"]Come on Nutty. Rather disingenuous. Being a fan can sometimes be about fear as much as optimism. I always said it was unlikely we would go down but around the beginning of the month, I became somewhat less comfortable in my view. My love of the club led to my pants becoming a little damp at that time but I wouldn''t say I, nor many others, were making stuff up to paint a bleak picture. By the time we got to the end of the Villa game, it did not take a ''ridiculous scenario'' to envisage us slipping through the trapdoor. We turned things around with some gusto in the end and this is something to be proud of and in the end that is all that matters.[/quote]

I think that was the point I was making Dippity. It''s good to have a variety of opinions on here and posters shouldn''t be derided for views across the spectrum. I agree that only someone foolish wouldn''t have had fears after the Villa game. Where I took issue is in the "staring relegation in the eye". That never happened and I don''t understand why any supporter would want to make it up.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Matt Juler"][quote user="ellis206"]Sorry but you are clueless, if we were to have beaten those above mentioned teams like you suggested we should have, we would be pushing top 4..... a quick summary of those above teams as wellVilla - Spent a good £100m + over the last few years on that squadSouthampton - Again spent a lot of money and are currently operating with a £22m + strikeforceStoke - 3rd highest spenders in the premier league (Net spends)Wigan - Probably spent the same as us, they got relegated, we didn''t......The team we put out for most of this season cost us in the region of £12m, pretty much all premiership clubs have players that cost more than that, so please tell me, why should we be beating anybody? and why should we have a god given right to improve year on year and finish higher than last season? (Which we did by the way....)This is simply the time to admit you were wrong, Hughton had a target, and that was to stay up. We have had a lot of success at this football club over the last few years, the success rate has to slow down at some point, I think you need to lower your expectations or support United[/quote]You can call me clueless or any other insult that you deem fit, but in my view he''s not the correct man for Norwich City Football Club.  You can''t hide the fact that 8 days ago we were staring relegation in the eye, these two games can''t mask what has been an appalling second half of the season.  Had we of approached the many winnable games earlier in the season with this same mentality there''s a good chance we''d have been safe many weeks ago.[/quote]

Well I''ll argue it. We have bnever been that close tro relegation. The only way we stared it in the eye was when our own fans made up ridiculous scenarios about our results and results elsewhere. The fact is that if we''d have picked up just one point in our final six games we wouldn''t have been relegated.

I agree this forum should be made up of contrasting views for it to serve any purpose but can''t for the life of me understand why supposed City fans would make stuff up to paint a bleaker picture than actually exists.

[/quote]

Oh come on, nutty. It wasn''t just the fans. Hughton said before the WBA that we just had to get a result, and the club''s actions spoke volumes:

Following defeat to Aston Villa the club released the following statement: “The club is sorry to confirm that the request of the management team and board of directors the club is cancelling a number of events, including this Monday’s end of season dinner, as the players and everyone at the club are devoting all their energies to the forthcoming games against West Bromwich Albion and Manchester City. Our apologies for any inconvenience caused. All refunds for events will be made next week.”That doesn''t sound as if the club thought relegation was a ridiculous scenario.

[quote user="Matt Juler"][quote user="ellis206"]Sorry but you are clueless, if we were to have beaten those above mentioned teams like you suggested we should have, we would be pushing top 4..... a quick summary of those above teams as wellVilla - Spent a good £100m + over the last few years on that squadSouthampton - Again spent a lot of money and are currently operating with a £22m + strikeforceStoke - 3rd highest spenders in the premier league (Net spends)Wigan - Probably spent the same as us, they got relegated, we didn''t......The team we put out for most of this season cost us in the region of £12m, pretty much all premiership clubs have players that cost more than that, so please tell me, why should we be beating anybody? and why should we have a god given right to improve year on year and finish higher than last season? (Which we did by the way....)This is simply the time to admit you were wrong, Hughton had a target, and that was to stay up. We have had a lot of success at this football club over the last few years, the success rate has to slow down at some point, I think you need to lower your expectations or support United[/quote]You can call me clueless or any other insult that you deem fit, but in my view he''s not the correct man for Norwich City Football Club.  You can''t hide the fact that 8 days ago we were staring relegation in the eye, these two games can''t mask what has been an appalling second half of the season.  Had we of approached the many winnable games earlier in the season with this same mentality there''s a good chance we''d have been safe many weeks ago.[/quote]Yes, you''re clueless.We finished 11th, over the season that means we were the 11th best team.  A few victories elsewhere may have pushed us up to 8th, but then we may not have won games against Man U, Arsenal, Everton etc.  Not really sure what on earth you and similarly minded fans want, we''ve improved on our standing from last season in a year when many would have accepted 17th.  At the end of the day the table doesn''t lie however much you want it to.Call yourself ''fan of the year'', rubbish.

I don''t understand the relevance of ''where we were 2 games ago''

Even Wigan had beat Swansea and Villa, and we''d have lost at Man City we would still have been safe.

A season is played over the course of a season, not 10 games or 20 or 36. The only time our League position is important is after the final game.

We came 11th, that is a massive achievement. Some big Premier League clubs are below us, as are some very established Premier League clubs.

If you take our 10 game unbeaten run and our bad run after Christmas, mix all them results up, I don''t think they''d be half the negativity there is on here.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Matt Juler"][quote user="ellis206"]
Sorry but you are clueless, if we were to have beaten those above mentioned teams like you suggested we should have, we would be pushing top 4..... a quick summary of those above teams as well

Villa - Spent a good £100m + over the last few years on that squad
Southampton - Again spent a lot of money and are currently operating with a £22m + strikeforce
Stoke - 3rd highest spenders in the premier league (Net spends)
Wigan - Probably spent the same as us, they got relegated, we didn''t......

The team we put out for most of this season cost us in the region of £12m, pretty much all premiership clubs have players that cost more than that, so please tell me, why should we be beating anybody? and why should we have a god given right to improve year on year and finish higher than last season? (Which we did by the way....)
This is simply the time to admit you were wrong, Hughton had a target, and that was to stay up. We have had a lot of success at this football club over the last few years, the success rate has to slow down at some point, I think you need to lower your expectations or support United
[/quote]You can call me clueless or any other insult that you deem fit, but in my view he''s not the correct man for Norwich City Football Club.  You can''t hide the fact that 8 days ago we were staring relegation in the eye, these two games can''t mask what has been an appalling second half of the season.  Had we of approached the many winnable games earlier in the season with this same mentality there''s a good chance we''d have been safe many weeks ago.
[/quote]

Well I''ll argue it. We have bnever been that close tro relegation. The only way we stared it in the eye was when our own fans made up ridiculous scenarios about our results and results elsewhere. The fact is that if we''d have picked up just one point in our final six games we wouldn''t have been relegated.

I agree this forum should be made up of contrasting views for it to serve any purpose but can''t for the life of me understand why supposed City fans would make stuff up to paint a bleaker picture than actually exists.

[/quote]

Oh come on, nutty. It wasn''t just the fans. Hughton said before the WBA that we just had to get a result, and the club''s actions spoke volumes:

Following defeat to Aston Villa the club released the following statement: “The club is sorry to confirm that the request of the management team and board of directors the club is cancelling a number of events, including this Monday’s end of season dinner, as the players and everyone at the club are devoting all their energies to the forthcoming games against West Bromwich Albion and Manchester City. Our apologies for any inconvenience caused. All refunds for events will be made next week.”

That doesn''t sound as if the club thought relegation was a ridiculous scenario.

[/quote]

You are either being mischievous or not understanding my point Purple. Some of the scenarios made up on here were ridiculous and you can go find them as easily as I can. My point on this thread was that we were never at a point where we were staring relegation in the eye. If you think we were then when was it?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Matt Juler"][quote user="ellis206"]Sorry but you are clueless, if we were to have beaten those above mentioned teams like you suggested we should have, we would be pushing top 4..... a quick summary of those above teams as wellVilla - Spent a good £100m + over the last few years on that squadSouthampton - Again spent a lot of money and are currently operating with a £22m + strikeforceStoke - 3rd highest spenders in the premier league (Net spends)Wigan - Probably spent the same as us, they got relegated, we didn''t......The team we put out for most of this season cost us in the region of £12m, pretty much all premiership clubs have players that cost more than that, so please tell me, why should we be beating anybody? and why should we have a god given right to improve year on year and finish higher than last season? (Which we did by the way....)This is simply the time to admit you were wrong, Hughton had a target, and that was to stay up. We have had a lot of success at this football club over the last few years, the success rate has to slow down at some point, I think you need to lower your expectations or support United[/quote]You can call me clueless or any other insult that you deem fit, but in my view he''s not the correct man for Norwich City Football Club.  You can''t hide the fact that 8 days ago we were staring relegation in the eye, these two games can''t mask what has been an appalling second half of the season.  Had we of approached the many winnable games earlier in the season with this same mentality there''s a good chance we''d have been safe many weeks ago.[/quote]

[/quote]

Following defeat to Aston Villa the club released the following statement: “The club is sorry to confirm that the request of the management team and board of directors the club is cancelling a number of events, including this Monday’s end of season dinner, as the players and everyone at the club are devoting all their energies to the forthcoming games against West Bromwich Albion and Manchester City. Our apologies for any inconvenience caused. All refunds for events will be made next week.”That doesn''t sound as if the club thought relegation was a ridiculous scenario.

[/quote]

You are either being mischievous or not understanding my point Purple. Some of the scenarios made up on here were ridiculous and you can go find them as easily as I can. My point on this thread was that we were never at a point where we were staring relegation in the eye. If you think we were then when was it?

[/quote]

Being neither, nutty. I don''t know what you are trying to imply by the phrase "staring relegation in the eye". It is open to various interpretations. What I believe is a fair assessment is that we had fallen into a relegation dogfight. We were in danger of going down. And it is obvious from Hughton''s words - and actions - that he believed this too. How likely was that danger is open to discussion. But it is nonsense to suggest there was no danger. 

Please show me where I suggested there was no danger. Three weeks ago half the league were in danger of going down. None more so or less so than us. If we were staring relegation in the eye then so were all the other teams. In the finish we were top of that group and this is what I suggest people are finding it hard to come to terms with.

[quote user="ncfcstar"]Call yourself ''fan of the year'', rubbish.[/quote]I wondered how long til someone brought this up!  I was awarded the AVIVA Fan of the Year for the services I provide to the membership of the Capital Canaries, every away game I sort out travel for 20+ members and over the season probably save each member £500 on travel.  Having this award doesn''t change my opinions about the club, I will continue to be vocal regarding aspects I''m both happy and not so happy about.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Please show me where I suggested there was no danger. Three weeks ago half the league were in danger of going down. None more so or less so than us. If we were staring relegation in the eye then so were all the other teams. In the finish we were top of that group and this is what I suggest people are finding it hard to come to terms with.

[/quote]

Er, when you said, a bit higher up on this page:"We were never at a point where we were staring relegation in the eye."That other clubs were in the same position, staring at the abyss, doesn''t mean the danger wasn''t real to us. And of those other teams we were in poor form. We were slipping down, in points terms, towards the 18th slot. I think that also applied to Newcastle, Fulham and Stoke. Whereas Southampton and to an extent Villa and later Sunderland were showing signs of life.I don''t know whether some posters here are annoyed we stayed up. That certainly doesn''t apply to me. I just recognise the danger we were in.

The reality of the situation is if our form had been more even-spread there wouldn''t be nearly as much bollocks written all over the forum.

If our 10 match unbeaten run was spread across our pretty awful post-christmas run in and we finished 11th i think CH would be getting pat''s on the back all round. Which, he should be getting now, in all fairness.

Overall a good season and a fantastic finish.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]No need to fall out over this gents, just put it this way :

Wigan blinked first.
[/quote]

I miss my old buddy Blah[:''(]

Please post more!

Let''s just put this down to poetic licence or spin. I''m happy to say we were in danger of going down. Only a fool would not be and I have never suggested otherwise. Staring relegation in the eye suggests something more than that. (To me anyway). As does the much used phrase "must win game". Interestingly none of our last six were that. Wigan''s game at Arsenal was.

We were clearly in danger after the Villa game, and just because others were as well doesn''t mean we were not. I think the major concern was one of momentum, we had negative momentum as did Newcastle, and as did Stoke before we put in that no-show. Others such as Sunderland and Villa had shown themselves capable of big performances. I think everyone was concerned that we seemed to be slipping down rather meekly, the win against Reading was rather nervy, and had Wigan clung on to being ahead against Swansea it would not just have been squeaky bum time but.........well that''s not a vison I''d want to have. Having blown Wigan away, Stoke away and Villa at home, with WBA thrashing Saints at St Mary''s it was not obvious where points would come from.

I don''t know what changed but it is as if someone turned on a  light bulb. Ultimately we didn''t need those additional points, but for a week or two with games running out it didn''t look good at all.

I would love to know the actual number of posters on this board who, before the season started, declared that they would be perfectly happy to finish in 17th. as long as we stayed up.We finish in 11th. position, which is apparently not good enough because we did''nt play like Barca, and it''s all the fault of the manager who should now be sacked because we have a ready-made, far superior replacement just busting a gut to take over.The mind boggles!

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]

We were clearly in danger after the Villa game, and just because others were as well doesn''t mean we were not. I think the major concern was one of momentum, we had negative momentum as did Newcastle, and as did Stoke before we put in that no-show. Others such as Sunderland and Villa had shown themselves capable of big performances. I think everyone was concerned that we seemed to be slipping down rather meekly, the win against Reading was rather nervy, and had Wigan clung on to being ahead against Swansea it would not just have been squeaky bum time but.........well that''s not a vison I''d want to have. Having blown Wigan away, Stoke away and Villa at home, with WBA thrashing Saints at St Mary''s it was not obvious where points would come from.

I don''t know what changed but it is as if someone turned on a  light bulb. Ultimately we didn''t need those additional points, but for a week or two with games running out it didn''t look good at all.

[/quote]

Nobody has suggested we were not. That''s what I don''t understand. But we were no more so than the others. To suggest we were is ludicrous. That negative momentum list includes more than just us Newcastle and Stoke. We won just one game in April as did Southampton, Fulham and Newcastle. Stoke and Sunderland won two and Villa won three which suggests to me that Villa were the side in real danger of going down.

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]

[/quote]That might have felt like the case at the time. However with the benefit of hindsight we were actually safe after the Reading game, seeing as though we were on 38 points and Wigan only go to 36, managing just 5 points from their last 5 games.In hindsight, we were all safe!

[quote user="Matt Juler"][quote user="ncfcstar"]
Call yourself ''fan of the year'', rubbish.
[/quote]
I wondered how long til someone brought this up!  I was awarded the AVIVA Fan of the Year for the services I provide to the membership of the Capital Canaries, every away game I sort out travel for 20+ members and over the season probably save each member £500 on travel. 

Having this award doesn''t change my opinions about the club, I will continue to be vocal regarding aspects I''m both happy and not so happy about.
[/quote]

Well if Joe Ferrari reads this he will be having a word with Mr. McNally who was one of the judges that is for sure. Back in 2009 the old NCISA was rung out to dry for their opinions on Doomcaster and Co.Blimey Capitals even had Gunn along to a social gathering whilst everything was going Pete Tong.Nobody back then was prepared to speak out from your end Matt for fear of rocking the boat and now you are happy to come on here and criticise Hughton...oh how times change.

[quote user="CDMullins"]I don''t understand the relevance of ''where we were 2 games ago''

Even Wigan had beat Swansea and Villa, and we''d have lost at Man City we would still have been safe.

A season is played over the course of a season, not 10 games or 20 or 36. The only time our League position is important is after the final game.

We came 11th, that is a massive achievement. Some big Premier League clubs are below us, as are some very established Premier League clubs.

If you take our 10 game unbeaten run and our bad run after Christmas, mix all them results up, I don''t think they''d be half the negativity there is on here.
[/quote]This is spot on. I also think people forget that outside of the 10 game run and the last couple of games we put in some good performances that perhaps deserved more. I thought we dominated QPR and West Ham but didn''t take our chances and were robbed against Sunderland and Arsenal by some dogy refereeing. In the end we finished two points below West Ham but as they spread their form out that are pretty happy. Also we finished only 5 points below West Brom who had their best season ever apparently. Cant deny I did brick it a bit after Aston Villa though!

I think we all felt it badly after the Villa game, like a trap door was suddenly opening. WBA seemed like a more difficult game, but we didn''t take into account the fact that they weren''t fighting for their lives. Swansea beating Wigan helped tremendously, and then of course we thrashed WBA and were safe. Now suddenly we finish in 11th place and it all seems unreal. It really is a funny game sometimes!

[quote user="Matt Juler"][quote user="ncfcstar"]Call yourself ''fan of the year'', rubbish.[/quote]I wondered how long til someone brought this up!  I was awarded the AVIVA Fan of the Year for the services I provide to the membership of the Capital Canaries, every away game I sort out travel for 20+ members and over the season probably save each member £500 on travel.  Having this award doesn''t change my opinions about the club, I will continue to be vocal regarding aspects I''m both happy and not so happy about.[/quote]

So you got the award based upon sorting out trains for around 20 people during the season? Jeez, that''s hardly difficult. Given your criticism of the manager who did more than his set target for the season then you''re hardly a fan. If I was one of the runners up then I would be very disappointed.

In all of this what can''t be overlooked is the relative strength of our squad. Loosing Ruddy for months and to a lessor extent Plikington put a major dent in our capability v''s more established / bigger spending teams.

So overall, critisism regrding style was merited, but in the end it was "a job well done" - now let''s build up the squad so we are less vulnerable to key injuries next year.

Those wanting Hughton out should be thoroughly disgusted with themselves. Over a SEASON he guided us to a very strong position, signed some fantastic players and improved the defence no end. It''s pathetic really, posters like alartz and Matt Jules should look at themselves in the mirror.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

Well if Joe Ferrari reads this he will be having a word with Mr. McNally who was one of the judges that is for sure. Back in 2009 the old NCISA was rung out to dry for their opinions on Doomcaster and Co.Blimey Capitals even had Gunn along to a social gathering whilst everything was going Pete Tong.Nobody back then was prepared to speak out from your end Matt for fear of rocking the boat and now you are happy to come on here and criticise Hughton...oh how times change.

[/quote]Mr Tilson - Please don''t go confusing my personal feelings with those of the Capital Canaries as a whole.  For every member of our supporters group that has strong feelings one way there is most likely one that has equally strong feelings the other (plus many sitting in the middle who just want to support our club), hence the reason why we often decline to make official comment.  My reference to the Capital Canaries was in relation to the AVIVA Fan of the Year, an award that you will notice from the quotes attributed to me in the written press and on the AVIVA micro site (http://www.avivancfcfanoftheyear.co.uk/) praised the work of all supporters group around the World that help City fans attend games at Carrow Road.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="Matt Juler"][quote user="ncfcstar"]
Call yourself ''fan of the year'', rubbish.
[/quote]
I wondered how long til someone brought this up!  I was awarded the AVIVA Fan of the Year for the services I provide to the membership of the Capital Canaries, every away game I sort out travel for 20+ members and over the season probably save each member £500 on travel. 

Having this award doesn''t change my opinions about the club, I will continue to be vocal regarding aspects I''m both happy and not so happy about.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Til - the comment about Gunn is deeply unfair. If you actually got your facts straight then you would know that McNally, Delia and MWJ actually attended a Caps forum during the period in question (indeed I think it may have been just after the Colchester game) and were given as big a grilling (politely though - they have always been good to us and attended events so nobody was ever going to get too nasty) as i can recall seeing the board get at any fans forum. Its always hard to say what was the cause/effect of any decision but it would not surprise me if that played some small part in Mcnally;s decision to remove Gunn afterwards.

i, and several other caps, have had fairly critical conversations with members of the board on several occasions (often post some away debacle when we have been pathetic). I don;t think therefore that it is fair at all to level an accusation that the group has feared rocking the boat in the past. that said its essentially a social/travel group with the committee representing a broad church of views. Its therefore not really appropriate for those committee members to be expressing views on behalf of the group as a whole. I am sure NCISA has taken the same stance in the past when not engaged in its bouts of petty in fighting.

PS Congratulations to Matt on his award. Well deserved for helping hundreds of us travel all over the country for many years now.

[quote user="Jim Smith"] Til - the comment about Gunn is deeply unfair. If you actually got your facts straight then you would know that McNally, Delia and MWJ actually attended a Caps forum during the period in question .[/quote]

Looks like Gunn the manager to me Jim.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="Jim Smith"] Til - the comment about Gunn is deeply unfair. If you actually got your facts straight then you would know that McNally, Delia and MWJ actually attended a Caps forum during the period in question .[/quote]

Looks like Gunn the manager to me Jim.[/quote]

As you can see from your photo it includes Mr Doncaster and Mr Munby, therefore prior to their departure from the club in May 2009 and also Jim Duffy who left the club in October 2007.  The AGM as mentioned by Jim above was in August of 2009 after the defeat to Colchester and more importantly during McNally''s reign as Chief Executive.I''m unsure of the exact event above, but I''d imagine this was most likely our 2007 AGM well before Brian Gunn was appointed manager of the club and he was attending in his capacity at the time.  I don''t believe we have ever had a first team manager attend one of our events in London during my 10 year involvement with the Capital Canaries.

No one likes to see such a merciless e-beating delivered, but that''s what Matt just served up to Tilson.

Wait, what were we talking about?

BUT....

If Matt and the Caps won that battle will they win the war and mercilessly get shot of Hughton...

Can''t wait for the next instalment...