Sign in to follow this  
Vazzza

The NCFC mould

I love a good transfer rumour as much as the next guy but sometimes I don''t understand the logic of some of the rumours (Not just here, but all over the media and web) about players we are linked to, or players people "recommend" as a potential signing.

As far as I''m concerned, for the past 3-4 seasons NCFC have a certain type of player they like to buy. The young, hungry, up and coming potential star. I don''t know this for fact, but I guess it was Lamberts thinking and McNallys backing that made this happen. After Lamberts exit I was very worried that this buying mentality would be lost, however it doesn''t seem to be the case. Hughton has either bought into a McNally request to keep this theme going, or has just naturally done it himself anyway.

Anyway, there is a point to this post somewhere... I just don''t understand why not only us as fans (mainly on this board) as well as nationals and rumour websites still link us to the complete opposite of the player we are looking for, and have bought over the last few years. Apologies to the poster who posted it, but I''ll use this as an example: The Carlton Cole thread started today is the exact thing I''m talking about. When was last time we bought a player of this type? Been around the block, had some good seasons, had some awful seasons, but generally never set the world alight. How is a player like this ever going to take us up a level?

IMO, now we have some money behind us, we should be looking at the same mould of player, but just up a level in skill and class. I can''t see any evidence of us doing otherwise, and the RVW signing is a prime example (Perhaps too ambitious to hope a repeat too many times in 1 transfer window, but hey, fans are here to dream). I just don''t understand why fans and media alike still link us to QPR style signings...

So after all that, there wasn''t really a point to this thread. But now i''ve written it, its getting posted [:P] And back to silly season...

I''m not sure that Bassong, Tettey, Whittaker, Snodgrass, Turner, Garrido and Bunn could necessarily be referred to as "up and coming potential stars", maybe Snodgrass at a push being 25. Hughton seems to prefer, rightly or wrongly, slightly older proven players to the folly of youth as with Lambert at Villa Park. The main difference I see between those listed above and Carlton Cole is that Cole is in all honesty, not really that good.

It''s McNally and the Boards thinking, not Lamberts. If you had ever attended an AGM you would know that McNally told us :- "Our aim is to employ the best in class manager and young and hungry players".

Yes but as with the January transfer window: Camp (28), Becchio (29), Kamara (28).These aren''t particularly "young" signings. Though I''ll admit Becchio looks at least as "hungry" as Holt does.

[quote user="Holtcantshoot"]Yes but as with the January transfer window: Camp (28), Becchio (29), Kamara (28).These aren''t particularly "young" signings. Though I''ll admit Becchio looks at least as "hungry" as Holt does.[/quote]A stop gap loan, a short term back up and a trialist who was not offered a contract.Howson and Snodgrass under 25 when signed. Experienced in the Championship but young enough and hungry enough to leave the giant club that is LUFC for a chance in the PremiershipBassong and Garrido 26 and 27. Both still have plenty of good years in front of them.Hardly what anyone would call old.

Under Lambert we got in a lot of young lower league players who were hungry and with a lot of potential.  Some have worked out like Pilks, we''ve seen Howson and R Bennett look very good recently after a bit of time, but you can''t expect all of them to succeed e.g. Ayala hasn''t made it (yet) and probably won''t.

This year we''ve been looking at players with a bit more experience, so not quite so young but still mid-20s and crucial that they''ve still got the hunger.  Which makes sense to me as we move on - especially in defence where experience is vital at the top level.

The last thing we want is ageing pros who are past their best and want a payday towards the end of their career, feel they are too good for us and doing us a favour.  Or for some other reason are misfits who have the talent to make it at the top, but don''t have the hunger.  Like quite a few QPR signings.

Vazza said

"When was last time we bought a player of this type? Been around the block, had some good seasons, had some awful seasons, but generally never set the world alight. How is a player like this ever going to take us up a level?"

Darren Huckerby?