Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Carroll and Rat or RVW and Garrido?

Better, more sensible signings.

RVW is a bargain for his actual value, and I think we''ve done pretty well so far.

Lets judge it properly when the window closes though

Right now I would have to say Carroll.  I think RVW looks good from the clips that I have seen, but I haven''t seen him play myself (probably like most of the people on here), also Carroll is proven in the PL.  When he plays, everything goes through him.Saying Carroll does not mean I don''t rate RVW highly.  RVW looks to have the potential to be one of the greatest signings for Norwich.  Maybe as influential to the team as a Huckerby or Ashton, but how many technically excellent players in Europe have failed to make it over here?  It''s a different style of game and so it is a big risk - which is reflected in the price.  We are lucky that we are now in the situation that we can take that chance.  I just hope he can adapt quickly and make a success.

Rat is a very good free signing. Possibly slightly better, on paper, than Garrido - but Garrido is a few years younger so overall probably about an equal signing.

Carroll and RVW; I think we have gotten the better deal there. RVW may take time to settle in and Carroll may bag goals for fun next season. Alternatively, RVW may hit the ground running and Carroll may be in his usual form of winning every header but not putting the ball in the net. Every transfer is a bit of a gamble, but I think ours is far less of one in relation to the money paid.

[quote user="Nicko"]Can some please explain to me who the hell Rat is?[/quote]

Razvan Rat is one of the finest left backs in Europe, or was a couple of years ago. He has about 90 caps for Romania and played for Shakhtar for 10 years. Was wanted by Real Madrid and Barcelona a couple of years back but Shakhtar wouldn''t sell cheaply so they moved to other targets. Man U also tried to but him before they got Evra but again he was considered too expensive.

I like Garrido, he''s been solid this season but Rat is a considerably better player - the only downside might be his ability to adjust to the Premier League now he''s a bit older. Could go a bit Thomas Helveg - but Rat was a better player in him prime than Helveg was.

RVW any day over Carroll, Carroll is the most over rated player I have ever seen,  I would still prefer to have Holt over Carroll.

Carroll is a 7 goal a season striker, its laughable how he has accrued £50m worth of transfer fees. I don''t understand why people rant and rave over Carroll, stats speak for themselves.

Rat over Garrido though

The Premier League has seen a few Dutch magicians in it''s time, and I really think we can all be fairly confident Chris Hughton has pulled another future star from his hat - a hat I will eat if RVW doesn''t prove to be a quality signing for us.

[quote user="Alex "]The Premier League has seen a few Dutch magicians in it''s time, and I really think we can all be fairly confident Chris Hughton has pulled another future star from his hat - a hat I will eat if RVW doesn''t prove to be a quality signing for us.[/quote]

It''s also seen it''s fair share of Dutch flops as well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marco_Boogers

err that was down to the ever dodgy ''arry who later admitted that he had never actually see him play

.................but he had met his agent quite a few times.

ps I doubt Hughton would have seen RVW either, however with us it is down to the meticulous work done by the scouts and the board

RVW has been named in the latest dutch squad. That bodes well!

Helveg in his prime was arguably the best right back around, Rat has never been near this standard.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]RVW has been named in the latest dutch squad. That bodes well! Helveg in his prime was arguably the best right back around, Rat has never been near this standard.[/quote]

I would argue he has - just because he was playing in the Ukraine doesn''t mean he wasn''t an excellent player. As I said he was often linked to the best clubs in the world but the player never really pushed for a transfer (as Shakhtar pay as well as most teams in Europe) and he was on a long contract so his club never really felt under pressure to sell him. Also he is famed for his loyalty so was happy to stay in the Ukraine.

He didn''t picked up such fame as he played in a Romanian team that never troubled the later stages of world tournaments and Shakhtar aren''t a particulary high profile team but he was excellent. I haven''t seen him play recently so can''t comment on how well he has aged and at 32 he won''t be getting any better but a 5/6 years back he was certainly as good as anyone in the world.

Fair points Bethnal and City 1st - although I would credit the board with sanctioning the move for RVW, I don''t think we can credit them over Hughton (or as you rightly pointed out, our scouts aswell) for finding Ricky - unless of course David McN has been messing around on Football Manager in his tea break and said ''Chris, here''s something we should try - it''s called a striker or something''.

(I jest btw, I like CH for the record).

Are you sure you''re not getting confused with Dario Srna? Now he is a hell of a talent! Razvan Rat has been relatively lauded around europe, but nothing like to the level of ''best'' full back around.

Talking of van Wolfswinkel, I''ll be interested to see what shirt number RVW gets next season. Assuming Holt stays (and I really hope he does), I can''t imagine our captain being too happy to relinquish his No9 jersey in a hurry...

[quote user="ellis206"]

Carroll is the most over rated player I have ever seen,

[/quote]

Is he? You''ve done well if he is the most overrated player you''ve seen.

I think he''s plenty good enough to play in the Premier League and good enough to be in the England squad. Would you consider that to be overrating him?

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="ellis206"]

[/quote]

I think he''s plenty good enough to play in the Premier League and good enough to be in the England squad. Would you consider that to be overrating him?

[/quote]

He''s good enough to play in the premier league but West Ham is his level, he certainly isn''t worth 15m.

England call ups don''t mean anything anymore, players get picked on reputations and who they play for. You seriously happy that Carroll and Welbeck make up half our strike force and they have scored 8 goals between them? Its an absolute joke and they wonder why we never win anything.

[quote user="ellis206"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="ellis206"]

[/quote]

[/quote] He''s good enough to play in the premier league but West Ham is his level, he certainly isn''t worth 15m. England call ups don''t mean anything anymore, players get picked on reputations and who they play for. You seriously happy that Carroll and Welbeck make up half our strike force and they have scored 8 goals between them? Its an absolute joke and they wonder why we never win anything.[/quote]

I''d be happier if we had a strike force of "world class" strikers who all score 40 goals a season and win everything going. But I don''t think we have such players available to us and I don''t really see too many better options than Carroll and Welbeck.

Having said that, we didn''t win anything when Alan Shearer was upfront and he was one of the best strikers in the world. Likewise Michael Owen wasn''t too bad and neither was Lineker.

I don''t think anyone wonders why we don''t win anything. I think everyone knows the answer to that, other teams are better.