Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Bird

In The Sun today ...

Today in The Sun (yes I know, pinch of salt..) it''s rumoured that our players were paid £250,000 each to avoid the drop

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4937113/Borussia-Dortmunds-Champions-League-will-be-less-than-Norwich-City-received-for-beating-the-drop.html

Might explain the two consecutive wins at the end of season....hmmmm!

Without reading it, didn''t they give up their win bonuses for the whole season in place of the "no relegation" clause?

If that was the case, I''m pretty fine with this.

Wasn''t it announced that the players declined their usual bonuses, clean sheet,goal,app,assist,etc in favour to be paid a lump sum at the end?

I imagine the truth is that there is a bonus scheme, probably based on the finishing position in the league; wasn''t the Lambert thing partly about us not paying him his bonus of £700k or something similar?

The Sun obviously fails to mention the players gave up all other bonuses. I''m sure the Dortmund players still picked up big old match win bonuses all season.

This was discussed at length during the Man City match. The understanding is that the players agreed to forgo their normal win bonuses payable match by match in exchange for £7,000 per match payable only if we stayed up.

The £250,000 is the cap and is equal to 35 games. Only two players qualified.

All seems pretty reasonable to me.

The good think about paying bonuses to our players and linking them to appearances and/or performance is that, relatively speaking, the regulars in the team end up doing better under that system than the squad fillers.

This should in theory make it slightly easier to move the squad fillers on, or at least make it less attractive for them to see out their contracts without being compelled to make too much effort to get in the team.

I must be slow. This is the first I had heard of if today, so apologies if I am going over old ground.

Personally, I think £££££s a weeks wages should be enough for a footballer. Incentive is ok, but surely its their job to do their best at what they do. That is certainly what my boss expects of me. No bonus either!

err, it rather workd the other way roundthat way the players usually recieve around the same as they would, condional on certain ''achievements'' - which in this case works out far fairer, unless you on the bench and believe you should be playingworks extremely well and works much the same in many other jobs

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]This was discussed at length during the Man City match. The understanding is that the players agreed to forgo their normal win bonuses payable match by match in exchange for £7,000 per match payable only if we stayed up. The £250,000 is the cap and is equal to 35 games. Only two players qualified. All seems pretty reasonable to me.[/quote]

Are you suggesting that all players , who would have qualified during the year for appearance money (which if applicable is paid monthly within their  salary) gave up this bonus, knowing that only two players would qualify because they played 35 games?  I must be missing something here. Did they physically pay the money they have received back?

You dont think that the club might have added an incentive (similar to the "we''re all going to Vegas" ) after the Villa game, to stay up?

eh ? if this is correct then the agreement would have been before the season started not a couple of games before the end of the season !

You misunderstand Beardy.

All players got £7,000 per game. The cap was 35 games. Only two players got the maximum £250,000. Everyone else got their games times £7,0000.

Sorry if I didn''t explain it properly

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]You misunderstand Beardy. All players got £7,000 per game. The cap was 35 games. Only two players got the maximum £250,000. Everyone else got their games times £7,0000. Sorry if I didn''t explain it properly[/quote]

Ah that makes more sense Cambridge. Thanks for that .

GPB - I think he meant only two players qualified for the full 250k (ie; only 2 players played the 35 games necessary to qualify for that much).

Basically, they said they wouldn''t have any bonuses if we got relegated, only their usual wages. If we stayed up, they would get a blanket 7k bonus per game they played in, regardless of goals scored or assists made. So say that Ruddy only managed 20 games due to his injury (I don''t know the exact figure off the top of my head, maybe slightly more), he would have got 140k in bonuses (20 x 7k).

Seems fair enough to me; as said, Dortmund''s players will have been earning appearance, goal, clean sheet and assist bonuses all season - our players have took them in one lump sum at the end and only on the condition that we stay up.

GPB - I think he meant only two players qualified for the full 250k (ie; only 2 players played the 35 games necessary to qualify for that much). Basically, they said they wouldn''t have any bonuses if we got relegated, only their usual wages. If we stayed up, they would get a blanket 7k bonus per game they played in, regardless of goals scored or assists made. So say that Ruddy only managed 20 games due to his injury (I don''t know the exact figure off the top of my head, maybe slightly more), he would have got 140k in bonuses (20 x 7k). Seems fair enough to me; as said, Dortmund''s players will have been earning appearance, goal, clean sheet and assist bonuses all season - our players have took them in one lump sum at the end and only on the condition that we stay up.

Sorry, slow on the uptake. Also, going slightly off topic - anyone know why my posts keep double posting in different formats? Has happened two or three times today - both saying the same thing but with paragraph blocks either added or removed.

Not pressing refresh are you aggy?

Similar problem on the official if I remember correctly

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]You misunderstand Beardy. All players got £7,000 per game. The cap was 35 games. Only two players got the maximum £250,000. Everyone else got their games times £7,0000. Sorry if I didn''t explain it properly[/quote]

CC - for my own edification, did that £7,000 apply to each player in the match day squad, to the starting eleven, or to the starting eleven plus substitutes used?

Nice to see that the concept of operating a sort of "all for one and one for all" mentality has been embraced by all the squad - certainly adds to the whole team bonding ethic.

The way it was reported, it was everyone who stepped on the field so up to 14 in each match.

I think it showed team commitment. Remember it was the players who wanted it done this way.

Could well be it Jez, can''t remember if I did or not. Let''s see what happens today...

Branston Wrote " wasn''t the Lambert thing partly about us not paying him his bonus of £700k or something similar? "

I dont think the club ever said he wouldnt get it, they were happy he earnt it keeping us up .I would imagine that end of season bonuses are paid on a certain date and maybe Shambert had left. Why would you pay someone who hadnt shown any loyalty (not that some of us thought he would).

Anyway the talk of not paying him his bonus was a counter claim from shambo as he was is breach of contract according to the club.

Either way, whatever some people on here say we dont know what was agreed, Lambo tried the same tactic to get out of his contract the same way as he did when he joined us, only to be up against McNally this time.

We were found guilty when we took Lambert and we have to assume it was all settled as Villa and Lambert knew they probably would too. Forgetting the 2 clubs, Lambert doing the dirty on his employer twice wouldnt look to good on his CV.

Im quite happy with the situation as I dont think we would be looking forward to Prem Footy next year if he was still here.He arent that bonus and we assume was paid, (or villa paid it in leiu of what they owed us) like I said who knows.

I love the fact that BD made the champions league final with a wage bill lower than Villas - and with season ticket prices significantly lower too.

Puts most prem league team performance into perspective and perhaps says we should be more ambitious with our aims too. 

Shows that some of their players would be better to come over here :P

I''d say staying up is more financially significant than making the CL final anyway.

The German Business model is different to ours - and arguably better.  See:http://www.soccernomics-agency.com/?p=451andhttp://www.soccernomics-agency.com/?p=457