Sign in to follow this  
Number 9

The Charlton Model

Was it so very long ago?

Here we sit staring down the barrel of multi million pounds transfers this summer, no debt and future is bright future is yellow.

Whatever happened to '' the Charlton model?''

Wherever are they?

Last seen keeping up with strange beings on wheels, and being heckled by an evil welsh witch nemesis I think.Oh, sorry.  Really must get my eyes tested...

If the essence of the Charlton model was to assemble and build up a team over a few years, then it is still with us. I hope that nobody imagines that we are going to splash out £20m to £30m his summer, of they are going to be disillusioned very rapidly.

By the time we have reduced the debt further, paid higher wages, completed the foundation of the higher level academy, bought one or two players and put some money away for a rainy day in January, there''s not going to be much left. I hope that we have enough for a significant signing, or we have deceived RvW it seems.   (And are we going to hold some money back in the hope of extending the stadium next year, and does our income apart from EPL and TV money actually cover our costs, or shall we need some of this outside money to subsidise running the present club?)

I well remember 3 or 4 years ago Delia complaining how TV money was spoiling Football and how it could be the end of the beautiful game for clubs like Norwich. I wonder how she sees it now. It would be interesting to have a reporter go down to Suffolk and have an hours chat with her and publish the result for us all to read.

She has been a wonderful asset for the club and we all owe her a great deal together with her husband.

[quote user="Bobert"]

I well remember 3 or 4 years ago Delia complaining how TV money was spoiling Football and how it could be the end of the beautiful game for clubs like Norwich. I wonder how she sees it now. It would be interesting to have a reporter go down to Suffolk and have an hours chat with her and publish the result for us all to read.

She has been a wonderful asset for the club and we all owe her a great deal together with her husband.

[/quote]

I think she''s right. The fact that we are enjoying this obscene side of the game doesn''t make it right. And I still long for the days of old where we could compete with all the other clubs in the top division rather than a mini league race for survival..

I honestly don''t know which league Charlton are in, was it just a matter of months ago?

We have to think happy thoughts about our progress and how it''s been managed / achieved.

And now we wave goodbye to some of the players who have shared the journey with us and move on.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Bobert"]

[/quote]

I think she''s right. The fact that we are enjoying this obscene side of the game doesn''t make it right. And I still long for the days of old where we could compete with all the other clubs in the top division rather than a mini league race for survival..

[/quote]

Absolutely Nuts. We should never forget we are dining with the devil now, and his name is Richard. I think Charlton did as well as they did for as long as they did because they avoided getting sucked in to it all in the way Bradford, Leeds and them down the road did. In that sense we should very much seek to emulate the "Charlton Model".  Sense and stability, maintaining the player recruitment policy of the last few years. Young and hungry with something to prove, mixed with a sprinkling of role model mature professional types to add that experience - Turner and Bassong to name but two! 

Inevitably there are bumps along the way, not a change of manager, which was the undoing of Charlton. I think too many on here under-estimate the club''s and the new manager''s achievement in successfully negotiating that hurdle.