Sign in to follow this  
The ghost of Michael Theoklitos

Hypothetical question number three - Stadium capacity increase

There was a couple of hypotheticals on the board a a few days ago. I''ve just had a thought and wondered what people would make of it.Let''s say RVW comes in next season and completely takes the Premier League by storm. He scores 23 goals. Comes 2nd in the Golden Boot behind rejuvenated Wayne Rooney at Chelsea. Norwich City finish 8th in a great season, bit with no cup wins and no European place.Interest obviously comes in for our new star striker, and an offer is made from an unnamed Premiership team for £30million.Do we;A) Not sell - Hope that another year of rebuilding and progress can meet the ambition of our new star striker,B) Sell - Spend the profit on rebuilding the City Stand to add 7,000 seats to Carrow Road,C) Sell - Reinvest the money into the squad.

Always sell if a player is unhappy and you cannot meet his financial needs. It''s simply not worth risking damage to team spirit by keeping an unhappy player, and also club sustainability by giving in to blackmail.  There are plenty more ''fish'' in the sea.

Like stated above, sell if he isn''t happy. I have a source from the club though who told me we did want to expand capacity this season but the bank refused to give us the loan!!

Sell and reinvest in the squad.

If someone wants to offer £30m for a striker off the back of one season then take it - plenty of other footballers in the world and with an extra £30m Norwich would be able to improve in several positions.

"Like stated above, sell if he isn''t happy. I have a source from the club though who told me we did want to expand capacity this season but the bank refused to give us the loan!! "

Open season on BS nowadays.

Build a second tier on the "main stand" to increase capacity by 3000.

It can be done quickly and cheaply, and it will be full most of the time.

If you want a 7000 increase will require demolition, take ages reducing capacity for a season during building, be half empty most of the time, cost a fortune and loose the club money.

[quote user="Alan"]Build a second tier on the "main stand" to increase capacity by 3000.

It can be done quickly and cheaply, and it will be full most of the time.

If you want a 7000 increase will require demolition, take ages reducing capacity for a season during building, be half empty most of the time, cost a fortune and loose the club money.[/quote]

McNally said recently that a Stadium Upgrade would cost £20m

Fairly sure that the foundations on teh City stand don''t permit the building of a second tier, and the general facilities within the stand are in major need of replacement, so you''re have to replace the whole thing.

And I can''t believe we''re discussing this for the 569th time lol.

[quote user="Manchester Canary"]Like stated above, sell if he isn''t happy. I have a source from the club though who told me we did want to expand capacity this season but the bank refused to give us the loan!![/quote]

Why on earth do people do this? Don''t tell me your mother''s cousin is friendly with the cleaner''s aunt.

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="Manchester Canary"]Like stated above, sell if he isn''t happy. I have a source from the club though who told me we did want to expand capacity this season but the bank refused to give us the loan!![/quote]

Why on earth do people do this? Don''t tell me your mother''s cousin is friendly with the cleaner''s aunt.

[/quote]

No, Lady in the Canteen, serves Hoots his meals and have a daily chat with him

I''ve heard from my good sources within the ground (I''m friends with Stephen Fry''s gardener''s best mates boiler repair man) that David McNally won''t expand the size of the stadium because he doesn''t like the Norwich fans and he wants those who can''t get tickets to live sad, unhappy and unfulfilled lives for eternity.That''s also why they moved Neil Adams into the youth set-up forcing fans without a ticket to listen to the grating voice of Paul "I think they should give David Fox a chance" McVeigh every week until they stab themselves in the ears with HB pencils to reduce their level of pain.

Fill in the corner to block the ugly hotel - perhaps only a thousand seats or so, and also pout an upper level in the main stand, which would give the ground a more balanced look to it.

Much could depend on the cost these things are not cheap, but at least this time we would not have to finance an archaeological dig. You don''t get much for a couple of millions, so a massive increase is probably out of consideration, especially given the size of the potential crowd around Norwich and the county.

depends, if he turns around and does a hucks, and is happy to stay with us, keep him for sure (can see him giving us 2 seasons to see if we can make it to europa.) otherwise sell and reinvest.

30 million back into the squad (would probably be more like 20 after a tinsy bit is pocketed and reinvested elsewhere.)

we can get another striker of RVWs "unproven" caliber, and more of the same type throughout the pitch.

Webbo118 - What do people do this? I know someone who works within the club and they told me this. I''m obviously not going to disclose who it is as it would get them in trouble. I''m not one to make stuff up and have never done so on this forum. All i''m doing is passing on something someone has told me as I thought fellow NCFC fans would want to know. Maybe I should just keep stuff back next time! ffs.

No offence but I doubt financial dealings such as this would be common knowledge around the general club employees.

I would expect financially sensitive information to be kept within the board and accounts department, and I doubt they would idly gossip.

[quote user="Waveney Canary"]I love a thread on stadium capacity maybe we could have a weekly new thread on the subject[/quote]To be fair, this was supposed to be more about what to do if we end up with a great striker, with a massive sell on value.In hindsight, perhaps I should have phrased the subject line differently.

That presumes the decision is in our hands.Given how almost all players now have a release clause in their contract if a ''bigger'' club makes an offer that offer will be based on the amount needed to trigger that clause (Earnshaw).As to what to do with any money then it will simply be used for the playing squad.the stadium stuff is, at the moment, totally out of the equation until the club can work out where to put the 4000 season ticket holders from the Main Stand during construction work

"the stadium stuff is, at the moment, totally out of the equation until the club can work out where to put the 4000 season ticket holders from the Main Stand during construction work"

Sure just a big pit will do? Shove them all in there and let them happily wait?

yep, I can see the major shareholders, the owners and other associated influential folk doing thatthe proposition I heard was that the club would move the Main Stand occupants en bloc into the South Stand and disperse the ''happy clappy/johnny come latelys elsewhere around the ground and not offer any new season tickets whilst the work is being carried out

Probably should of made it clearer, but I was being sarcastic. Wasn''t actually suggesting we construct a mass grave for the good folk in the city stand.

Or should we?

Don''t need to expand the stadium yet in my opinion.Lets get the money from TV payments each year we stay in prem (hopefully a long while).Which far outways gate money.When and if we are established at least 5 years in prem, If we have available funds look then,maybe go for it.I know it''s not a new stadium we are building, but look at Coventry and Bolton since they invested in larger grounds, even Arsenal haven''t been the same since the Emirates was built, leaves less money for team building.

[quote user="Manchester Canary"]Webbo118 - What do people do this? I know someone who works within the club and they told me this. I''m obviously not going to disclose who it is as it would get them in trouble. I''m not one to make stuff up and have never done so on this forum. All i''m doing is passing on something someone has told me as I thought fellow NCFC fans would want to know. Maybe I should just keep stuff back next time! ffs.[/quote]

That''s the most sensible thing you''ve said. Well done.

I don''t think anything will be built in front of, or otherwise obstructing the hotel and its view of the pitch.

The hotel charges a premium rate for pitch facing rooms on match days-the usual cost plus a premium and said rooms are counted as part of the ground and the occupants have to view the game under the same rules and restructions as anyone at the game (ie) no alcohol in the room immediately before, during and after a game (don''t know time spans but guess +/- 45 mins either way or so) plus only those registered as having booked the room can be in it for the duration of the game-and they randomly check, believe me!

I''m not sure of the exact relationship between the club and the Holiday Inn but it is a symbiotic one that benefits both parties in a variety of ways, one that would become affected and deeply flawed were the view (and the natural light that side does get at the moment) be obstructed or affected. Its position and the fact that 65 rooms have pitch views, around 39 of which are very good indeed (4th and 5th floors a little blocked by the roof of the stands) was very much a deliberate ploy to encourage business, the fact that the pitchside rooms are almost always sold out whenever there is a match on suggests its working. That obviously benefits the Hotel although I am sure the club takes a proportion of that. Of course it doesn''t mean everyone who is in there will watch the game but I suspect if that was never your intention you''d choose not to pay the matchday premium on the tariff and have one on the other side.

It is a blip on the contours and look of the stadium but its one we are going to have to put up with-unless the club buy the Holiday Inn and its site up, knock it down and fill in from there.

Whilst it would be the ideal solution all round the problem is cost.At the moment the cost of replacing the Main Stand will not be covered by the ticket sold - and that is with 100% occupancy and current ticket prices maintained - neither of which are likely to happen. Slide both those figures one way and you slide the subsidy the other way. Money which has to come off the playing budget. Fine now with our PL millions, but a huge burden were we to back in the Championship.As the cost of fitting in ''corner seats'' being that much higher if you factor in the cost of buying up the hotel you are looking at subsidising each seat to the tune of £600 (minimum) upwards - after they have paid for their ticket.Can the club really justify that, or find 2000 fans who will pay £1000 for a season ticket in the corner of the ground ?

[quote user="Manchester Canary"]Webbo - Need to get out more. P***k[/quote]

Ooooh! Now, now. Touched a nerve, did we?

Jeff has a source at the club too....

the thing with these "Sources" if the information they are giving is 100% accurate then they cant get into trouble and have nothing to lose... they havent signed a confidentiality agreement... club would find it very difficult to sack someone for telling the truth too..

so.. name the source, if they are correct then there''s nothing to worry about.... if they are telling a porkie then its p45.... if they dont exist then get a life!

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="Manchester Canary"]Webbo118 - What do people do this? I know someone who works within the club and they told me this. I''m obviously not going to disclose who it is as it would get them in trouble. I''m not one to make stuff up and have never done so on this forum. All i''m doing is passing on something someone has told me as I thought fellow NCFC fans would want to know. Maybe I should just keep stuff back next time! ffs.[/quote]

That''s the most sensible thing you''ve said. Well done.

[/quote]Had you attended the last AGM you would know that this "inside information" is nothing other than a rehash of McNally and Bowkett''s comments when they were asked the question about financing stadium expansion. They stated quite clearly that they had been to various investment houses in London and nobody was interested in underwriting the £20 million cost in the present financial climate.No conspiracy, no secret sources, it''s all been in the public domain since the last AGM.