Sign in to follow this  
canarycat

Apologies Due

Here''s an idea..

Next season why don''t we have a vote after every game about whether the result should stand at the day of reckoning?

CUSDP, none of the spin you are trying to put on anything matters, the season is over, it was a success.

You can argue the "what if''s" till you''re blue in the face, we stayed up, its done, mission accomplished.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Here''s an idea..

Next season why don''t we have a vote after every game about whether the result should stand at the day of reckoning?

[/quote][:D][:D][:D]

Surely we can agree on the following, which are not mutually exclusive:1) We finished where we deserved to finish.2) We were in danger of relegation.3) For every drop of rain that falls a flower grows.4) "Swivel-eyed loons" are not confined to the Conservative party.

[quote user="morty"]CUSDP, none of the spin you are trying to put on anything matters, the season is over, it was a success.

You can argue the "what if''s" till you''re blue in the face, we stayed up, its done, mission accomplished.[/quote]

Mortys taking his ball away from us all [;)]

Now is probably a better time than ever to reflect. No doubt all fans are doing it now.

I think ABC makes a great point about Ruddy but there were other factors.

I like the 4231 formation but I think we got the balance wrong.

Normally in this formation, the fullbacks have licence to get forward, with the holding midfielder screening and covering play.

We played 2 limited cm''s for most of the season who can get a foot in but weren''t great distributors. It did affect our game going forward. We badly lacked a creative passer that can also go box to box. Hughton in the last 2 games allowed howson to play his game and his performances went from good to great.

There was often a huge gap between the mids and an isolated forward.

Do you guys think anything was different in the last two games or was it a case of as we were?

The formations were much the same in most games, but any formation can be played more defensively or more offensively - that is patently obvious. Playing slightly more defensively when playing sides around you in the lower half of the table is not ''wrong'' - winning such games is great, but drawing is far better than losing.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]I''ll be making no apologies.

My opinion was that our players were more than good enough for this level, but haven''t shown their quality since the Christmas period due to the manager''s tactics, I''ll stand by that 100%.

The last 2 performances have been great, but it doesn''t paper over the alarming cracks we''ve seen since the turn of the year for me.

Hughton achieved his objective and therefor deserves to keep his job and build for next season, however I sincerely hope lessons have been learned in the 2nd half of the season, and in the last 2 games in particular.

Could I hear some apologies from posters excusing our awful form since Christmas by saying our players are only Championship/League One cloggers who over achieved last year please?

Thanks.[/quote].. and I agree 100%..  Those that insulted the quality of our players should apologise and accept that the reason some failed to perform was down to restrictive managerial tactics.  I said all along the quality was there and the problem was the manager''s tactics and it was ironically proven with great effect in the last two games.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"] the reason some failed to perform was down to restrictive managerial tactics.  I said all along the quality was there and the problem was the manager''s tactics and it was ironically proven with great effect in the last two games. [/quote]So you think the reason we frequently had less than 40% possession in games is all part of Hughton''s master plan?You can''t attack without the ball, and no matter how hard you try, you''ll never be able to claim that it was Hughton''s tactics giving the ball away constantly.

[quote user="QHcanary"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"] the reason some failed to perform was down to restrictive managerial tactics.  I said all along the quality was there and the problem was the manager''s tactics and it was ironically proven with great effect in the last two games. [/quote]So you think the reason we frequently had less than 40% possession in games is all part of Hughton''s master plan?You can''t attack without the ball, and no matter how hard you try, you''ll never be able to claim that it was Hughton''s tactics giving the ball away constantly.[/quote]

We sat off teams and let them have possession creating a wall of 10 players.

No wonder we made a few teams look good.

Our better performances this year was when we were in teams faces.

[quote user="QHcanary"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"] the reason some failed to perform was down to restrictive managerial tactics.  I said all along the quality was there and the problem was the manager''s tactics and it was ironically proven with great effect in the last two games. [/quote]So you think the reason we frequently had less than 40% possession in games is all part of Hughton''s master plan?You can''t attack without the ball, and no matter how hard you try, you''ll never be able to claim that it was Hughton''s tactics giving the ball away constantly.[/quote]You should apologise to Mr Brownstone..... Giving the ball away can be down to tactics. For example, if a player finds nobody in a position to pass to due to few or even no forward options because of defensive tactics, he can more easily lose possession under pressure. More options going forward will increase the possession percentage as a player can obviously find a colleague more easily. 

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]I''ll be making no apologies.

My opinion was that our players were more than good enough for this level, but haven''t shown their quality since the Christmas period due to the manager''s tactics, I''ll stand by that 100%.

The last 2 performances have been great, but it doesn''t paper over the alarming cracks we''ve seen since the turn of the year for me.

Hughton achieved his objective and therefor deserves to keep his job and build for next season, however I sincerely hope lessons have been learned in the 2nd half of the season, and in the last 2 games in particular.

Could I hear some apologies from posters excusing our awful form since Christmas by saying our players are only Championship/League One cloggers who over achieved last year please?

Thanks.[/quote].. and I agree 100%..  Those that insulted the quality of our players should apologise and accept that the reason some failed to perform was down to restrictive managerial tactics.  I said all along the quality was there and the problem was the manager''s tactics and it was ironically proven with great effect in the last two games. [/quote]

Except that our tactics weren''t any different in the last two games

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="QHcanary"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"] the reason some failed to perform was down to restrictive managerial tactics.  I said all along the quality was there and the problem was the manager''s tactics and it was ironically proven with great effect in the last two games. [/quote]So you think the reason we frequently had less than 40% possession in games is all part of Hughton''s master plan?You can''t attack without the ball, and no matter how hard you try, you''ll never be able to claim that it was Hughton''s tactics giving the ball away constantly.[/quote]

We sat off teams and let them have possession creating a wall of 10 players.

No wonder we made a few teams look good.

Our better performances this year was when we were in teams faces.
[/quote]

That - allowing the opposition possession - was exactly what we did against Arsenal, and that was easily the best performance out of the half dozen or so I saw this season. That 1-0 win was grown-up football and vastly superior as an achievement to scoring 4 against a WBA team that gave new depths of meaning to various words such as listlessness.

No. Why on earth would you think that?

Same outfield team as for Villa. We just performed better andhad some luck for once. The notion that there was a difference in tactics in the last two games is wishful thinking by the AntiHughton mob to justify the turn in fortune. Some players found firm and we played more effectively but we did nothing different to what we tried less successfully in many games this season.

Same formation, players agree. But different philosophy.

We attacked with intent and purpose. Filled the box, tested the goalkeeper and played more "riskier" passes going forward, pressed the opposition and most importantly looked like we played without fear.

Martin said on the radio tonight that the shackles were off.

Do you think our last 2 performances were our best since Xmas?

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Cambridge...I sincerely hope your being sarcastic[/quote]I must say I''m slightly confused by his last sentence.

I am amazed more posters here aren''t employed as Premiership managers. Jeez, you''re a fan with an opinion, get your heads out of your ar$es lol.

Football is a simple game made complicated by some folks.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Same formation, players agree. But different philosophy.

We attacked with intent and purpose. Filled the box, tested the goalkeeper and played more "riskier" passes going forward, pressed the opposition and most importantly looked like we played without fear.

Martin said on the radio tonight that the shackles were off.

Do you think our last 2 performances were our best since Xmas?[/quote]Cambridge is confusing formation with tactics methinks !!!!

No apologies from me.

1) Hughton''s tactics were dubious at best, especially post new year where we seemed to go ultra-defensive. His use of the squad was embarrassing. He inherited a decent squad of players and built on it with several good signings.

2) Jonny Howson has been bang average for the majority of this season, and that is being generous. If he continues next season in the same vein as the last few games he will be an excellent player for us. It is just a shame it took 25 games before he started playing.

3) Grant Holt fell foul of the negative defensive tactics, having over a third less shots this season compared to last season. When we played more attacking style and midfielders pushed forward, he scored goals.

Anyway, its a new season, no point dwelling on the past. In the end it is a results business and Hughton has achieved his targets. He fully deserves to be here next season and should have the backing of all the fans.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Here''s an idea..

[/quote]

[:D][:D][:D]

Surely we can agree on the following, which are not mutually exclusive:

1) We finished where we deserved to finish.

2) We were in danger of relegation.

3) For every drop of rain that falls a flower grows.

4) "Swivel-eyed loons" are not confined to the Conservative party.

[/quote]

1) Agreed[Y] Surely by everyone??

2) Agreed[Y] In varying degrees from before Fulham away until after WBA at home. Along with 10 other teams.

3) Agreed[Y] I believe for every fan who goes astray, someone will come to show the way.

4) Agreed[Y] Loads of them have jumped ship to UKIP!

Morty wrote: I am amazed more posters here aren''t employed as Premiership managers. Jeez, you''re a fan with an opinion, get your heads out of your ar$es lol.

---------------------------------

Because Premiership managers can''t be wrong and fans shouldn''t question the authority? Bizarre.

Yeah but Hughton''s tactics got 44 points from 38 games. That''s 2 less than the master tactician Laudrup.

The point being Mr Foghorn, as much as you may not like it, Mr Hughton knows 42 million* times more about football than you do.

*Figure is based on the entire season.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Yeah but Hughton''s tactics got 44 points from 38 games. That''s 2 less than the master tactician Laudrup.

[/quote].Indeed, but let''s look at some other salient facts...... Swansea have been  ''on the beach''  for the past month and also won a Cup !!

Paul Moy, do you have actual tangible evidence that Swansea players didn''t try very hard in these games?

Or did their manager get the tactics wrong?

Or is it just your opinion?

See the difference between "facts" and "opinion"?

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Agree Morty. Football is a simple game. Score more than the oppo and you win [;)]

Does playing give you an insight into little bits of detail? I''d say it helps.[/quote]Somebody please tell Hughton as he always seems to want to match the oppos score !! 

[quote user="morty"]Paul Moy, do you have actual tangible evidence that Swansea players didn''t try very hard in these games?

Or did their manager get the tactics wrong?

Or is it just your opinion?

See the difference between "facts" and "opinion"?[/quote]I just heard it from a close friend that once they got to 40 points he said ''Ve kan relaksch know ladsch''. 

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

.Indeed, but let''s look at some other salient facts...... Swansea have been  ''on the beach''  for the past month and also won a Cup !!
[/quote]

The points are facts. As is the cup which was 2 rounds beyond Hughton. However the "on the beach" crap is what has been letting the likes of you down throughout this thread.

nutty nigel: Yeah but Hughton''s tactics got 44 points from 38 games. That''s 2 less than the master tactician Laudrup.

--------------------------------------------

Laudrup won them a cup. And lets be fair to Swansea, they have been on the beach since making 40 points.

But why would we want Laudrup anyway. Our manager is currently successful.