Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Messiah

Top European attackers we should sign....

Yellow Wall wrote - "I would be surprised if we play 4-4-1-1 on anything like a regular basis. I believe we played that way this season through necessity."

What was the necessity? CH could have played two strikers up front all season and the results would have been the same. Seems to me that he has a preferred style and formation of play and stuck with it hoping that it would click. We managed to survive and it would have been by a greater margin with better players in those positions upfield.

I think rvw hits it right. Two wingers and attacking midfielder are needed as starters.

If injuries come in we have snoddy pilky hoops Howson and Surman for creativity.

The key is in the striker position. Rvw and becchio are here. Becchio is younger and is a great goalscorer his record at Leeds is very good and he can score all types of goals.

Now jacko is off, Vaughan has mentioned he may stay but does he want to play. I think his interview the other week when he mentioned playing regularly has helped him get over injuries is the right one. So maybe a move.

Holty is the big one, we need that other striker to cover for rvw as holty has led our line this year and is not the answer for next season if rvw gets injured. We need that second choice to come in but of course holty may want to move on. If he does and an offer comes in we can afford to let him go. His wages will allow us to bring in another player.

We have just signed garrido, rvw... If we expect two wingers in the Kalou, kk mould they can join the lone striker, currently pilky and snoddy show they can but are not natural in this role. I would expect at least one creative midfielder, to replace fox, but also to be that first teamer. Again I would maybe consider a back up.

So for me it is two wingers, two attacking midfielders and one forward (two if holty leaves).

Possibly look at centre half but I feel we have cover to January in turner, bassong, Bennett, Whittaker. If Curtis Davies or another is up for a good deal then fair enough.

But rvw hits the nail on the head and we need back up for him. If holty moves on then we need another.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Yellow Wall wrote - "I would be surprised if we play 4-4-1-1 on anything like a regular basis. I believe we played that way this season through necessity."

What was the necessity? CH could have played two strikers up front all season and the results would have been the same. Seems to me that he has a preferred style and formation of play and stuck with it hoping that it would click. We managed to survive and it would have been by a greater margin with better players in those positions upfield.[/quote]

I don''t know what was in Hughton''s mind. But one explanation, based on his team selections and how little game time some forwards got, is that he regarded it as a necessity because he didn''t think he had two strikers of Premiership quality. Indeed, I suspect he didn''t believe he had even one such striker.

As I see it, City will have 6 players leaving from the 25 man squad. With RvW, at least two quality players being brought into the midfield, a new LB to replace Tierney, a CB to replace Barnett, there is still room for a quality, pacey striker to replace Jackson, especially should RvW pick up an injury.

PurpleCanary wrote - "I don''t know what was in Hughton''s mind. But one explanation, based on his team selections and how little game time some forwards got, is that he regarded it as a necessity because he didn''t think he had two strikers of Premiership quality. Indeed, I suspect he didn''t believe he had even one such striker."

Going by that reasoning (which sounds quite reasonable to me) can we expect Holt, Jackson, Becchio and Vaughan to all be offloaded during the summer? Seems to me that we have a lot of ''nearly there'' strikers who are lacking in one or more attributes, we need quality over quantity.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]PurpleCanary wrote - "I don''t know what was in Hughton''s mind. But one explanation, based on his team selections and how little game time some forwards got, is that he regarded it as a necessity because he didn''t think he had two strikers of Premiership quality. Indeed, I suspect he didn''t believe he had even one such striker."

Going by that reasoning (which sounds quite reasonable to me) can we expect Holt, Jackson, Becchio and Vaughan to all be offloaded during the summer? Seems to me that we have a lot of ''nearly there'' strikers who are lacking in one or more attributes, we need quality over quantity.[/quote]

That all comes down to balancing out the budget for transfer fees and the budget for wages and Hughton''s priorities (with or without any offers for any of our players). In an ideal world we would get in another Pl-quality striker (assuming RVW is that) but we may need to spend the money elsewhere. You would need to be in the boardroom to have a really informed view on all of this.

[quote user="Yellow Messiah"]1. Phillipp Hosiner https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philipp_HosinerAge: 24 Price: £3mClub: Austrian WienRecord: 31 goals in just 33 games! (Must Buy)2. Jonathan Soriano https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_SorianoAge: 27Price: £2.5mClub: Red Bull SalzburgRecord: 26 goals in 30 games3. Carlos Bacca https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_BaccaAge: 26Price: £5.3mClub: Club BruggeRecord: 24 goals in 34 games4. Maxime Lestienne (Left wing) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxime_LestienneAge: 20Price: £2.6mClub: Club BruggeRecord: 17 goals in 37 games 5. Andreas Cornelius https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andreas_CorneliusAge: 20Price: £5mClub: F.C CopenhagenRecord: 18 goals in 32 games6. Alfreð Finnbogason https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfre%C3%B0_Finnbogason#SC_HeerenveenAge: 24Price: £5mClub: S.C HeerenveenRecord: 24 goals in 31 games[/quote]Austrian hot-shot Philipp Hosiner could be set for a move to England this summer, Sky Sports can reveal.

Cornelius looks like he''s off to Cardiff for £8m. Seems a lot for someone who has only scored goals in the danish league.