Sign in to follow this  
BOO

JAMES VAUGHAN player of the season

I was really impressed with Vaughan in pre- season games, he looked like our sharpest striker. We all know that he has a history blighted with injury which is always a sad thing for a pro player, he was injured when we signed him but Lambert could obvioiusly see a lot of potential there.

This season he is POTS at Huddersfield and scored a goal against the Scum, scored 14 goals which isn''t huge but ain''t bad.

So we had Harry Kane.....say no more, Jacko who has hardly played, Kamara who was on the bench last week at the expense of Becchio and the club presumably knew he was leaving after the game, Becchio our headline transfer window signing who is conspicuous by his absence and a foreign striker who can''t play for us till next season.Holty has failled to get the goals we need, everyone has their opinions as to why that is, but there is no doubt that we have lacked fire power this season.

We have really struggled to score goals this season.

The question is why own earth did we let Vaughney go out on lone, a very very poor decision from our manager.

He was player of the season at a struggling Champs club, we already knew he was ok at that level but we are currently in a different league so that part of it is pretty irrelevant.

Tbh Lambert''s striker signings whilst here were pretty ropey. I do think Vaughan might have been ok if injuries hadn''t messed things up, but given his record it was perfectly reasonable for him to be sent on loan.

Didn''t harry kane score 13 goals in 1/2 a season in the championship last season, compared to 14 for a full season?

Vaughan is not and was never going to be our savior. sorry, but you''ll have to make a new thread about something else you think the staff have done wrong.

[quote user="Vanwink"]

The question is why own earth did we let Vaughney go out on lone, a very very poor decision from our manager.[/quote]

I actually agree with you on that one. Play-it-safe CH was concerned of his injury record, and thought Jackson to be less of a gamble on that account. According to another theory his other half did not like the Fine City, but I have reservations about that theory. I would not mind him back next season.

Clearly your a Kane fan.....? Did you see pre season Javier?

And Jacko has hardly had a look in Budapest! The other stuff about Vaughan''s family is a smokescreen!

I did catch a few games, yes, and he was impressive when I saw him. however, pre season is just that, and not the actual season.

not to mention he was also injured for a part of the first half of this season. under the strains that the premier league commands, who knows how much longer that injury could of persisted?

you can go through life saying "if this" and "but that" however in the end, nothing will change and it makes for a meaningless point of discussion, much like the one we are having now.

14 goals in a championship season is not what we need.

and for the record, I''m not a kane fan, I was just making the point that so many considered him useless, however it can be argued he has done better than Vaughan when played at the same level.

The point is Javier we have struggled for goals this season, why did Hughton keep Jacko and not play him and let Vaughney go.

If Hughton was concerned about Vaughan''s injury record and was intent on letting him go for that reason, then why did he play him so often preseason, it doesn''t make sense.

[quote user="Javiers Deaf Translator"]14 goals in a championship season is not what we need.[/quote]It''s more than Jackson managed and you seem to think that he''s good enough.......

Something about his girlfriend (soon to be wife) not liking the area. Just a rumour, though.

Nonetheless, even when he was here last season, he was hardly ever here. Spent most of his time shuttling between Norfolk and Manchester (or elsewhere).

Regardless, I just get the feeling that, though he''s a player I like, it was just never going to work out here. Nothing to do with Hughton... or Lambert for that matter. Just some people don''t fit in an area. Shame!

Have to admire you though, Vanny. Working hard to stir up s**t in the run up to an important game. Noble!

I''d REALLY like to see where I put Jackson is good enough?

oh, I didn''t you just made assumptions? ah, well, you know what they say about assumptions, they just make an A** out of you...

simply put neither are good enough, but if you have to choose between two inferiors, you choose the one that is most likely not to have his leg in a bandage.

So if Jacko ain''t good enough why keep him in the squad?

Lack of transfer budget?

lack of teams wanting?

the fact hughton had only been here for a few months, and vaughan had been pretty much injured since his arrival in 11/12 season, and jackson at the very least had a PL goal to his name?

anything else, wiz?

[quote user="Javiers Deaf Translator"]I''d REALLY like to see where I put Jackson is good enough?

oh, I didn''t you just made assumptions? ah, well, you know what they say about assumptions, they just make an A** out of you...[/quote]My apologies JDT, I did think you''d recently supported a return for Jackson, but I''m more than willing to admit when I''m wrong [y]

Anything else wiz? Do you want to debate this or not. It''s a shame that guys like you, who seem eminently reasonable , feel the need to come up with comments like that. Your learning bad habits!

James Vaughan is alright but I don''t think he''s the answer for us.

If he wasn''t attached to us and was infact just a Huddersfield (or another lower Champs club) player would anyone be particularly keen to see us make a move for him?

That''s a fair point, but he is one of our players, I just can''t get my head round the logic of letting him go.

[quote user="Vanwink"]That''s a fair point, but he is one of our players, I just can''t get my head round the logic of letting him go.[/quote]

Well, firstly his injury record makes it difficult to plan for a season with him. Yes, anyone could get injured at any time but his record doesn''t inspire you to plan for him to play a big part in your season.

Secondly, there''s the stuff about him and his family never really being happy here and to be fair he''s never really made any comments about being desperate to come back to Norwich to prove himself.

Thirdly, I''m not convinced he would be a great fit in the team. I know people say Simeon doesn''t score the goals at this level (and I agree) but from what I''ve seen of both I think Simeon has a better idea of how to link up play with his colleagues. Not sure Vaughan looked like he would form a natural partnership with Holt or the others.

I wouldn''t be against seeing Vaughan in the squad here but I don''t think you''ll find too many Premier League sides in a hurry to sign him. I think the Championship is about right for him.

What message does it send out to the rest of the squad when arguably our top performer preseason is sent out on loan?

Under Lambert it seemed the message was work hard, perform and you''d get a chance, which is what the squad was used too.

We had a winning formula last year, instead of trying to integrate his ideas slowly, he’s started again from scratch when there really was no need.

We have a far superior squad to last year. Hughton’s signings overall have been good, but management wise, he leaves a lot to be desired.

Thought it was a strange decision at the time considering his pre-season form (and the lack of form in pre-season from the other strikers)

Shipping him out on loan seemed pointless for his development, as he has already played a lot at that level and at Premier League level. CH said he needed fitness, but doubt what a season at Championship level gave him as he''d done it before (whereas in the Harry Kane example, that was his first real taste of regular competitive football).

Think it might have been a good move if there was a recall clause, ie if he hits a vein of form after a prolonged run of fitness, bring him back.

Dont think Hughton thinks like that though as he ignores form players (Becchio/Bennett)

The move came across to me as being one where Hughton simply didnt rate him, so shipped him out. With the ineffectiveness of our strikers this season its hard to imagine Vaughan couldnt have made a contribution, even if it was only to be as inefective as the others.

Surprised Jacko and Morro werent given similar loans with recall clauses. What has been the point of Jacko this season other than to make up the numbers?

Think Vaughan will be off. For me Ayala is the interesting one - shipped out unceremoniously in similar fashion, but was this for his development or simply because he wasnt rated?

So we release a sick-note that doesn''t want to be here? That seems a reasonable thing to do. But yet again it''s another stick to beat Hughton with.

Admittedly we didn''t get a decent replacement, but is that his fault or the people holding the purse strings?

So if those are the reasons he went, why play him so much pre season, surely Hughton would have wanted to play the players he was thinking of keeping?

[quote user="Herman "]So we release a sick-note that doesn''t want to be here?[/quote]Vaughan has had his injury problems, no-one can deny that, but we signed him on the back of a full season on loan at Palace where he managed 30 league games without any real problems.He then came to us and badly injured his knee early doors which took him out for most of the season and he spent the rest of it getting as match fit as he could ready for this year.In pre-season he looked very sharp, pacy with an eye for goal and many of us thought he''d do a good job playing off Holt, but then he''s binned off to Huddersfield with no real explanation or justification (outside of rumours that his Mrs doesn''t like Norwich), and with the fact that we didn''t sign a quality replacement to replace him with either.He then plays ANOTHER 33 games without any real injury problems (backing up his assertions in pre-season that he was fully fit and ready for a full campaign). The sad truth is that we were damn unlucky with his knee injury when it happened (as he''d seemingly put the problem behind him) and over the past three years, he''s played a decent amount of games overall, as against being a proper sick note who plays 1 game and then misses another 5-10 or so (a la Kieran Dyer)...

My understanding was Vaughans loan wasn''t to develop his fitness, but to just see if he could continue a run of games without injury (testing his fitness.)

there may well have been a recall clause in the loan contract, we do not know. the squad has been full and the only time we could of recalled him was jan, however the first half of the season was when vaughan suffered an injury that lasted 1-2 months.

ayala seemed to go out on loan for both development and the same reason as vaughan, testing fitness.

however Ayala has been injured a number of times this season, some for decent periods of times.

Wouldn''t be shocked to see him being given one last chance next season, loaned out to Hull, Cardiff or the third team to join the prem.

"Vanwink"So if those are the reasons he went, why play him so much pre season, surely Hughton would have wanted to play the players he was thinking of keeping?

He was trying out everyone. That''s why they are pre-season friendlies! Chris Martin got a few games. Did we see much of him?

Why give so much game time to a player you are intent on shipping out because of his "sick note" record as you call it.

It''s madness.