Sign in to follow this  
Monty13

The psychological effect of the crowd on our players.

I''ve seen it half mentioned on a couple of threads but surprised more hasn''t been mentioned about Turner''s post match comment about the crowd.

"Michael Turner admits he and his team-mates can feel the nervous atmosphere surrounding Norwich City in the fight for Premier League survival.

And defender Turner confesses Norwich are aware of their fans'' nerves, which were particularly apparent as they made a slow start against Swansea.

He told Sky Sports: "We could feel a bit of tension from the crowd, especially in the first half. We were saying to each other, ''ignore it and stick to the game plan''."

We are often told how important the "12th" man is and I wonder if it is really being considered just how much of an influence supporters are having on the players at the minute.

I find it quite telling that Turner decided to mention this and that the players were effectively telling each other to ignore the crowd and just keep going. Maybe people are having far more of a negative effect than they realise.

Hughtons tactics, personnel choices, substitutes have been debated to death on other threads. But when the players take to the field and the lines between a win, draw or loss are so fine, I wonder how much of an effect over the last home games the crowd could potentially have in deciding our fate.

I''m not telling people not to boo at half time, not to shout at Hugton to sort it out, not to moan etc. People are free to do what they like imo.

I''m just genuinely interested, as the player has commented on it, what other peoples thoughts are about the crowd potentially influencing our players negatively in the final home games.

Psychology is underated imo.    People don''t think they have a voice.    But crowds do.   If a crowd is hostile, or worried it comes across to everyone there.    There is only one solution to it.   People have to recognise what is at stake over the last few games and simply do their best to cheer on the team.   Put aside your angst and worries as there is something far more important at stake than your views, whatever they are.    The most important thing now is to get the team over the line and help in the best way we can.    Create a good atmosphere.  Everyone can help by just upping the volume of the singing, cheering, clapping.   Its all encouragent and will help.  

I said it on another thread, but supporting the team isn''t a difficult concept -  so save your hostility for the opposition and get behind our team - its the only one we''ve got!!!

Hi Monty

I too am surprised - I mentioned it in the "SOME of you don''t deserve....." thread:

If one "looked around" and "listened" then perhaps, just perhaps, those doubters would start to heed the warning signs -

Great observation from Mark Holmes on TeamTalk:

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/24685/8625732/Monday-Moan-Di-Canio-views-irrelevant

regarding the effect of fans behaviour on teams - eg Blackburn last season, Stoke this season.

Also, what was telling was the views of Michael Turner in an interview with Sky:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/8622245

So, whilst I can appreciate the frustration felt by these fans, I cannot for the love of me understand their logic! It is a self defeating and almost self prophesising action. As hard as it might seem, this is the time when the team NEED the fans support!

However, a number of people had personal agendas to address today, so those comments from the players will have gone under the radar - hope they don''t come back to haunt them!

We now have this further reinforced by the manager:

http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/chris_hughton_s_plea_to_norwich_city_supporters_1_2008541

However, reading some of the responses at the end of the article - it''s almost as if some "so called" supporters want the club to fail so they can say "I told you so!" (I use the phrase "so called supporters" because they are probably 1p5wich fans enjoying winding up the "diaper wearers"!)

[quote user="Marmaduke"]I think they should man up and the job they are paid shed loafs of cash to do. Shape up or ship out![/quote]

Yes, that''s a really helpful attitude.............good encouraging words.    Have you ever played in a football team? 

Do you think Duncan Forbes would have been crying into his moisturiser and fake tan over nasty fans saying hurtful things?

Does anyone really believe its any different at all the other clubs in the mix? The crowd started of very supportive saturday but the perfomance on the pitch for the majority of the first half caused the anxiety.

[quote user="Marmaduke"]Do you think Duncan Forbes would have been crying into his moisturiser and fake tan over nasty fans saying hurtful things?[/quote]

Nope, you''re right there!

He''d have probably leapt in and kicked ten bells out of them, but no, he wouldn''t have cried! On the other hand, I don''t think many people would have had the testicular fortitude to have tried to invoke the wrath of Big Dunc by being so stupid!

But, whatever floats your boat - making comments like "I think they should man up and the job they are paid shed loafs of cash to do. Shape up or ship out!" as well as the above "moisturiser" comment goes to show a lot of bitterness or jealousy.

So, how are you going to do your bit for the team?

[quote user="Marmaduke"]By booing and hurling abuse at those individuals who aren''t putting their backs into it.[/quote]

.....and if you pass your details onto the club, I''m sure they''ll be delighted to relieve you of your ticket.....if you have one...... However, as the thread was on "The psychological effect of the crowd on our players." I don''t think they''ll be able to hear you from your abode!

[quote user="Marmaduke"]By booing and hurling abuse at those individuals who aren''t putting their backs into it.[/quote]

You aren''t expecting that one were you ABC

If the worst happens and we do go down, I hope people in the crowd who have had a go at the team are satisfied that they''ve made their own small contribution to it.

I still think we have a good chance of staying up and of the teams at risk for the 3rd spot, we are better placed than most to stay up. We have a tough game at Arsenal but the a sequence of games against teams that we''re capable of beating. Unfortunately if the crowd get on the players'' backs this makes it more likely we''ll fail.

Not saying it would be all the fault of those supporters. But they would share in the responsibility. People can say "I pay for my ticket and I have the right to boo" etc. well yes - but you also have to accept that if you do, it has a negative effect on the team

I posted about this on Saturday evening and that I was so angry about the negativity against Swansea that I kicked off at the fans around me. The main point was that Holt should be on the pitch but his eventual performance shows how stupid and thoughtless their berating of the team and Hughton was.There are many who come to do nothing but moan and struggle to say anything positive when we play well. They moan about the back passes but forget that the reason that the player chose the back pass is to avoid the groans from the crowd if it goes wrong.

Some fans need to look up the word SUPPORTER in the dictionary.

Some of my best memory''s of the club is when the crowd are driving the team on and they definataly respond.

It obviously gives them a lift so don''t understand why people spend there hard earned cash to boo and pull down the spirit of the team.

Anyone would think they don''t want to back them but just winge them into the championship.

I don''t get some of our fans at all.We spend years trying to get to the promised land,all those last min winners culminating in a fantastic promotion then when we get there they winge and whine when things don''t go 100% . There''s need for a reality check here,we are in a league many believe to be the best there is playing against teams who have spent millions so why all the unrealistic expectations ? I have reservations about Hughton but for christs sake his sole objective was to keep us up during the dreaded second season then we could slowly build year on year but some fans just expect us to be top half , that isn''t going to happen and the fans nerves and moans and groans are not helping the team but hey should we go back down then at least they will be able to say they "supported" the team.

Perhaps the journey was far more interesting and entertaining than the dream destination? Perhaps we should pack our bags and start enjoying footy again?

To go back to Marmaduke''s question about Duncan Forbes, I can''t remember any booing in his time at the club. Supporters were different then. As to the OP, the psychological factor of such booing is a positive one for the opposition playing at CR, IMO. They then feel they have played the crowd out of the game. Full praise to the players for ignoring it and going on to score two goals. I have never booed Norwich City and I never will. It''s not what being a supporter is about.

The crowd affect the game more than people think. The boos ring out louder than the cheers, and people don''t realise that this is going to have an effect on the players. Some can ignore it, but I bet some can''t. I understand the fans frustration, but if I''m disappointed with the performance, I''d rather stay quiet than shout abuse, as it is not a positive response. We need the team and the team needs us. Let''s stay positive throughout the match.

Almost all the crowd are positive at the start of every game its the players job to turn that positivity and hope into a good Atmosphere the crowd feed off the good performance of the players. The first 30 mins against swansea especially coming after the 90 at wigan were not good enough and anyone who had a go was well within their rights to do so. As fans we pay our money to watch football as a luxury item it is entertainment. You wouldn''t pay to watch a poor movie so why put up with a poor performance by happy clapping?

The Snakepit and Barclay were behind the team from the off on Saturday but they turned when pass after pass from Howson went straight to a Swansea player or put one of our players under unnecessary pressure the same as he has been doing for Months and Hoolahan wasn''t much better. I honestly don''t see what Fox needs to do to get a start ahead of Howson.I always have and always will support the team vocally but when things are obviously going wrong and nothing is being done to change that CH will get criticism/abuse.

The booing is so clever, the visiting opposition at Carrow Rd must really hate it and in no way get a lift from it...

Anyway, I guess we all support our respective teams for different reasons reading this thread. I support Norwich as I''m a Norwich lad, it was never about entertainment for me believe it or not, hard to explain but just simply loving my home city club with a real sense of pride. I have seen one or two heavy defeats in my time and have never (and will NEVER) boo/d the team I love - I couldn''t care less if it cost £50 and we lost 10-0, the money side has never crossed my mind (and I''m by no means wealthy I might add), I just can''t look at it like that - I''d be disappointed we lost RATHER THAN I didn''t get my monies worth. I truly believe that those who can''t see what long term implications their booing may bring to the club really should go and support Man Utd or Barca where they''re nearly always guaranteed to get ''their monies worth for their entertainment'', I''m not taking the p155 but I really think you''d be so much happier than following us whom like it or not will not always have it our own way.

For what it''s worth, people should get behind the lads when things aren''t quite going our way and inspire them on - if you have half a brain and NCFC means much more to you than money then you won''t boo, believe me.

Well said Alex.

The actual football might not always be top draw but glory hunters shouldn''t be following Norwich anyway.

Booing is brain dead and will end up putting the club on its Ar5e.

Lift the team not drag them down.

Don''t the idiots get it???????

Fans think that professional footballers are immune to abuse. They think that it doesn''t affect them. They also think they deserve abuse as they are paid shed loads of money. Footballers are not all mercenarys (sp) and have the same pycscological issuses as we do. Players like Turner clearly want to do well. And I can imagine him to be very self critical of himself. The abuse he got was totally unfair.

I''ve played infront of 200-300 crowds before and had them turn and hurle abuse and it didn''t have any positive effect. It just made me think F*ck you to the supporters. Then in the evening it became a problem as i''d be self critical of my performance with the fans reaction only acting as consolidating eveidence to my irrational opinion of my perfromance. Most Pro''s I''m sure are the same.

Anyway the second the players cross the white line there should only ever be support. It''s really tough when we''re playing crap but it is not an excuse to hurl abuse, it is simply not ok and will only ever make the situation worse. As poor as we''ve laed at times we have an honest set of players. They don''t deserve any abuse just because there paid 10 times what we are! That is the logic of a very simple and stupid man.

I''m guilty for critising players on here, but would never dream of it at a game. Save the negative stuff for this board where the players can choose not to see it, and save the positive stuff for the game.

Well said Lincon, this is the place to vent your spleen, if the players read what''s said then that''s up to them but that''s their choice. I

As for hurling abuse at the players or the manager during the game, it''s bad news and will cause problems in the crowd as things get tense toward the end of the season

Well said Alex! Only trouble is, I''m guessing you never go to games? Which sort of negates your "I don''t care how much it cost" comment. But do feel free to criticise those who do support thr team ine the real (only?) sense of the word. By shelling out to go to games. Thank you.