Sign in to follow this  
Yellowfuture

If when I turn on..

my radio at 2.00 on Saturday I hear that this team is playing I will feel very confident of getting something out of the game!

Ruddy

Martin

Turner

Seb

Garrido

Snoddy

Jonno

Tettey

Benno

Wes

Holty

Come on you Yellows!!!

For Martin, read Whittaker.

For Benno, read Pilks (if fit).

For Wes, read Howson (Wes has gone off the boil of late, Howson has always said his preferred position is AM).

For Holt, read Becchio (Holt is a ticking time bomb and it''s time for Hughton to show Becchio was not a panic buy).

I thought that Kamara did enough to keep his starting place for Saturday, although agree that his best use might be as impact substitute for the time being.

[quote user="CamelFish"]

For Martin, read Whittaker.

For Benno, read Pilks (if fit).

For Wes, read Howson (Wes has gone off the boil of late, Howson has always said his preferred position is AM).

For Holt, read Becchio (Holt is a ticking time bomb and it''s time for Hughton to show Becchio was not a panic buy).

[/quote]

It''s close between Martin and Whittaker, Martin did well on Saturday and would keep the shirt for me.

I don''t think Pilks will be fit but if he was I would pick him, however Benno did start to play on Saturday after a shakey start.

Wes would always be in my team, the one player who can make things happen, we need him

Hotly was rash on Saturday with the foul and did look out of sorts, I hope that if he is given the shirt he will calm down a bit, he likes the big stage so here is his chance to cement his place for the rest of the season. If he under performs then the manager must make changes and bring on Kamara, who I think makes a bigger impact off the bench.

It would have to be changed for Arsenal or we will find ourselves on the end of another 4-0 or bigger hiding.

If we start with the same set up and team as we did against Swansea Arsenal will pick us off at their will. Best way to play this game is by having a go, go with 2 strikers, Holt & Kamara, drop Wes who in all honesty has been carried for the last two games. Drop Howson and bring back Tettey, Ruddy has to start and if fit then bring back Pilks for Bennett.

I would go with:

Ruddy,

Martin, Turner, Bassong, Garrido

Bennett, Johnson, Tettey, Snodders

Holt & Kamara.

Bennett has done nothing to justify being dropped but I think Whitaker is more defensive but has the ability to surge forward. I''d love to see BJR back between the sticks but would err on the side of caution and save him for the games we have a more realistic chance of winning. I''d go for the following lineup which IMO gives us a defence which even a team like Arsenal should find difficult to break down and our fastest breaking line of attack. Think an intelligent footballer like Pilkington would relish the free role.CampMartin, Turner, Bassong, GarridoWhitaker, Johnson, Tettey, Snodgrass       Pilkington (if fit else Wessi).               Kamara

[quote user="Zak Burger"]Bennett has done nothing to justify being dropped but I think Whitaker is more defensive but has the ability to surge forward. I''d love to see BJR back between the sticks but would err on the side of caution and save him for the games we have a more realistic chance of winning. I''d go for the following lineup which IMO gives us a defence which even a team like Arsenal should find difficult to break down and our fastest breaking line of attack. Think an intelligent footballer like Pilkington would relish the free role.CampMartin, Turner, Bassong, GarridoWhitaker, Johnson, Tettey, Snodgrass       Pilkington (if fit else Wessi).               Kamara[/quote]

So you would drop Bennett (i.e. one of our best from the weekend, created both goals) for Whittaker (i.e. a right-back, and play him out of position). Can''t agree with that.For me, this is bad not only tactically, but also in terms of man management (i.e. what message does that give Bennett?).For me it''s;Camp (unless Ruddy is 100%)Martin, Turner, Seb, GarridoBennett, Johnson, Tetty, Snodders             Wes            HoltHolt has hated being dropped, and his 10 mins from the weekend showed that - while he easn;t brilliant, he was busting his backside to get into everything. We need this on the weekend.I also think for Plan B if we''re down and trying to get something, we should use Kamara & Bechio in a 4-4-2, rather than play Holt with Kamara. Kamara & Holt kept going for the same balls and getting in each others way for the 10mins they played together on the weekend. I think Bechio needs to be part of any "2 up-front" strategy.

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"]

So you would drop Bennett (i.e. one of our best from the weekend, created both goals) for Whittaker (i.e. a right-back, and play him out of position). Can''t agree with that.For me, this is bad not only tactically, but also in terms of man management (i.e. what message does that give Bennett?).

[/quote]Yes I would, I agree it appears harsh on Bennett but surely it is the managers duty to select the team most likely to get a result and to me this involves a team selection which takes into account some analysis of the opponent. I''d explain to EB that in this particular match I''d like to see a slightly stronger defensive line in front of the full backs to account for the way Arsenal like to play at home. It''s not about picking favourite players or rewarding players for a good performance it''s all about picking the team you think will perform best against a given opponent and I just don''t think this is a game where we can realistically afford to field too many attacking players. Whittaker gives us more in defence than EB and is actually quite experienced at playing "out of position" in midfield.If the opposition were Reading then I''d play EB before SW as we''d benefit against them by being stronger in attack but it''s not Reading it''s Arsenal hence my decision to drop EB.Wessi flatters to deceive and we love him for it but against Arsenal he would get little change imo they will know how to turn him the wrong side at which point he''s negated so I''d have the fast moving, fast thinking, genuinely two-footed Pilkington in the hole for this match and possibly as a fixture now we have a resurgent EB for the right and Snodgrass for the left.Up front KK has better movement than Holty again imo obviously he''s more likely to draw defenders than Holt creating space for Snodgrass and Pilkington to move into, we''re also far less likely to be playing 70 minutes with ten men at the moment. Look again at my team and tell me that it does not appear strong defensively with a double up on all positions effectively we''re playing two wing backs but one position higher up the pitch each side as we can''t afford a traditional full back to be caught up the field if Arsenal break.

It could be (unless Pilks and Ruddy are fit)

Camp

Martin Turner Seb Garrido

Snoddy Johnson Tettey Howson Kamara

Becchio

Wes = poor, needs a rest. Cannot give the ball away that much

Becchio deserves a start, done nothing wrong and needs a chance, Holt is... weird, at the moment.

Very deep midfield needed to soak up Arsenal''s play (like at home earlier in the season). Oh how we need Pilks back so badly down that left side.

Re: Benno, I''m a fan of him, but two crosses doesn''t mean he played well. He played BETTER, but not as well as Snoddy would down that flank. So by playing him you''re, in essence, compromising both wings as Snoddy is much more ineffective down the left side as he can''t cut inside

Holt has hated being dropped, and his 10 mins from the weekend showed that - while he easn;t brilliant, he was busting his backside to get into everything.

[/quote]

I''m not "Holt bashing" here, but that simply isn''t true I''m afraid. I''ll leave it at that.

I''d go with :

Ruddy

Whittaker         Turner      Bassong         Garrido

Tettey      Johnson

Snodgrass               Bennett                 Pilkington   

Kamara

[quote user="Zak Burger"][quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"]

So you would drop Bennett (i.e. one of our best from the weekend, created both goals) for Whittaker (i.e. a right-back, and play him out of position). Can''t agree with that.For me, this is bad not only tactically, but also in terms of man management (i.e. what message does that give Bennett?).

[/quote]Yes I would, I agree it appears harsh on Bennett but surely it is the managers duty to select the team most likely to get a result and to me this involves a team selection which takes into account some analysis of the opponent. I''d explain to EB that in this particular match I''d like to see a slightly stronger defensive line in front of the full backs to account for the way Arsenal like to play at home. It''s not about picking favourite players or rewarding players for a good performance it''s all about picking the team you think will perform best against a given opponent and I just don''t think this is a game where we can realistically afford to field too many attacking players. Whittaker gives us more in defence than EB and is actually quite experienced at playing "out of position" in midfield.If the opposition were Reading then I''d play EB before SW as we''d benefit against them by being stronger in attack but it''s not Reading it''s Arsenal hence my decision to drop EB.Wessi flatters to deceive and we love him for it but against Arsenal he would get little change imo they will know how to turn him the wrong side at which point he''s negated so I''d have the fast moving, fast thinking, genuinely two-footed Pilkington in the hole for this match and possibly as a fixture now we have a resurgent EB for the right and Snodgrass for the left.Up front KK has better movement than Holty again imo obviously he''s more likely to draw defenders than Holt creating space for Snodgrass and Pilkington to move into, we''re also far less likely to be playing 70 minutes with ten men at the moment. Look again at my team and tell me that it does not appear strong defensively with a double up on all positions effectively we''re playing two wing backs but one position higher up the pitch each side as we can''t afford a traditional full back to be caught up the field if Arsenal break.[/quote]Fair enough. The reasons you''ve outlined for your opinion are valid. For me, I wouldn''t be playing Whittaker in the a possition he hasn''t played in all season, particularly with 6 games to go. I''m also not sure about having 2 similar players on the right. If we are going to do anything on the break, won''t we need some pace? For me, having a back 4 with 2 good holding midfielders in Johno & Tettey is defensive enough.Chances are we''ll have neither anyway. I have a feeling CH may go in unchanged again (except Bunn).

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

Holt has hated being dropped, and his 10 mins from the weekend showed that - while he easn;t brilliant, he was busting his backside to get into everything.

[/quote]

I''m not "Holt bashing" here, but that simply isn''t true I''m afraid. I''ll leave it at that.

[/quote]Just so we''re clear, without my typo, that was supposed to read "while he wasn''t brilliant..."I don''t think Holt had his best 10 mins by any stretch of the imagination. What I did see though was that he was a player who was committed, and wanted to make it clear he didn''t like being on the bench.I think we may need that on Saturday.

For me it should be:

Ruddy

Martin

Bassong

Turner

Garrido

Tettey

Johnson

Snodgrass

Bennett

Becchio

Holt

Tettey and Johnson sitting. Snograss and Bennet on the wings. Becchio up with Holt.

''I don''t think Holt had his best 10 mins by any stretch of the imagination. What I did see though was that he was a player who was committed, and wanted to make it clear he didn''t like being on the bench.''

Which is what, in effect, Hughton said when asked about Holt''s appalling tackle.

I agree that we may need him on Saturday; whether as a (earlier please CH) sub, or a starter. Either way Kamara would also get the time he deserves.

Much depends on how fit Pilks is, and if he plays.

Assuming that he is fit, and plays, then I would go for

GK

Martin, Turner, Bassong, Garrido

Tettey/Howson, Johnson/Whittaker

Howson/ Wes/Benno

Snoddy Kamara Pilks

There is an alternative, which is to play Holt from the start, and if he proves ineffective to bring on Kamara.

For me the question is who is to play behind the striker. Wes has been less influential recently, and contributes less defensively, so there is an argument for Howson, in his best position and where he was so good at times last season - upfield, or Benno who with pace could cause problems, and who has a decent shot in him.

I suspect that CH will err on the cautious side - Tettey and Johnson in midfield, and Kamara up front, but it may be difficult to predict who will play behind the striker. Wes may still get the vote, which would be hard on Benno.

Whatever side he picks, it is clear that we tend to run out of steam after about 70 minutes, so as we have other players who are as good as those who begin, I hope that CH will bring them with sufficient time to make an impact and provide some stiffening in defence. I think of Whittaker, Howson and Benno, if they do not start.

AJ wrote the following post at 09/04/2013 11:07 AM:

Re: Benno, I''m a fan of him, but two crosses doesn''t mean he played

well. He played BETTER, but not as well as Snoddy would down that flank.

So by playing him you''re, in essence, compromising both wings as Snoddy

is much more ineffective down the left side as he can''t cut inside

Actually, it was 11 crosses that he delivered on Saturday, which is a better service for the strikers, than we have seen in a number of games and after his MOTM performance I think it will create a nice selection headache for Hughton.  Since Wes has not been performing well this season, I would put snoddy in the middle behind Kamara, providing Pilks is fit; so my team would be:            Ruddy (assuming fit, he did play 90 mins on Monday)Martin Turner Bassong Garrido           Tettey JohnsonBennett       Snodgrass     Pilks              Kamara

I would possibly play Benno in the middle and keep Snoddy down the right flank.

I just can''t see Pilks being fit, he didn''t take part in the development game on Monday

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

[/quote]

I''d go with :

Ruddy

Whittaker         Turner      Bassong         Garrido

Tettey      Johnson

Snodgrass               Bennett                 Pilkington   

Kamara

[/quote]Love this line up.....always thought the times that it did happen last season that Bennett was quite creative in the center and doesn''t get knocked off the ball as easily as Hoolahan. I have a bit of a mental battle with Martin and Whittaker. Whittaker seems to have an edge from an attacking point of view and Martin I think better defensively, plus as a cool head on the pitch. It more than likely wouldn''t happen but would be brill if it sprung up on Sat.....

Just so we''re clear, without my typo, that was supposed to read "while he wasn''t brilliant..."

I don''t think Holt had his best 10 mins by any stretch of the imagination. What I did see though was that he was a player who was committed, and wanted to make it clear he didn''t like being on the bench.

I think we may need that on Saturday.

[/quote]

I knew what you meant, I just disagree with it.