Sign in to follow this  
10Jackson

We Need Better Quality Players...

...to play the way Hughton would want us to. At Newcastle, he played in a 4-3-2-1

On the 4 player at the back obviously a line if defenders

3 across the middle is 2 wingers and a box to box player who can break up play and also is accurate in passing the ball and creating things.

2 is the attacking midfielders! He played with 2 attacking midfielders but what I can''t see is why he doesn''t play Hoolahan and butterfield!

Obviously 1 up top!

I think this is how he wants to turn the team out but to do this we need better quality players!

It would not work for us unless we replaced our entire team forward of the back four. As CH has supposedly got plans to buy two wingers and an attacking midfielder I think we can assume that he still wants to play 4-2-3-1.

I do think that 4-3-2-1 could work for us now though, with Whittaker, Tettey and Johnson playing behind Snodgrass, Pilkington and a striker.

We knew before the season that many of the squad would have to play out of their skins to compete in the Premiership. Some were signed to get out of  Division 1, others to escape the Championship, and when we faced the Premiership we had to buy on a shoe string.

We knew that if we wished to remain in the Premiership, we would have to build over a priod of years. Good Premiership players cost £10m, or more, and outstanding players £20m upwards. Even with the Sky money, there is no way  we can afford more than one or two players of the right quality. (I think that the original plan was that we would spend a few years in the Championship while we built up a nucleus of players. In the event to our surprise, and to most people''s, we reached the Premiership after just one year.)

It was always going to be difficult to sustain a place in the Premiership, because of limited funds initially. We have to congratulate the managers and staff for the signings they made within their budgets, but they recognise, as everyone does, that it is risky. There have always been "one" season teams in the Premiership who couldn''t make the step up in player quality, because of budget constraints.

We all hope that we shall be in the Premiership next season, having spent a little more money in the summer. At the moment it''s a little on "a wing and a prayer"

Newcastle and HughtonChampionship;

Starting formations

Formation League FA Cup League Cup Total
4-4-2 39 3 2 44
4-4-1-1 5 0 0 5
4-5-1 2 0 0 2

Starting 11

Premier league;

Starting formations

Last updated on 22 May 2011.

Formation League FA Cup League Cup Total
4-4-2 28 1 3 32