Sign in to follow this  
Skerritt

Could Pilkington be the one who makes us a more attacking, exciting team again?

Normally when Snodgrass gets on the ball, he likes to drive forward and try to create something but that only really happens when Snodgrass is on the ball. Surely when pilks comes back he also likes to drive forward. Surely the return of Pilks can spark some more exciting football?

Pilks DID like to drive forward, but his inconsistency this season has been an issue this season... Also this season I don''t think he has been as good going forward and trying to beat his man. I think he is the best we have in that position, but I do not think he is as gun ho as he was.

Sure he is the best we have in this position....Lets us hope he comes back with fire in his belly after being out, who knows he could rekindle the form of old and be branded as our "saviour" - I would like to point out I think that would be a bit strong, as for me the close of season form and improvement of Johnson and Turner have been a highlight.

Apart from anything else, with a goal shy forward line, we miss his knack of getting decisive goals. At the moment we are way too relaint upon set pieces and Snodgrass.

We do miss Pilks when he isn''t playing. The biggest reason for this is that he is the only player in the squad who is genuinely comfortable with playing out on the left wing. So he provides a really nice balance to the team. .

There are other ways of playing attractive attacking football without playing out-and-out wingers, of course. Some of the best teams play 4-3-3, and rely on full backs to get forward and make crosses. Ours could do this, but would leave their side rather exposed with the present formation.

Pilkington can make a significant contribution, however, He may not have blinding pace, although I suspect that he is quicker than Snoddy. What he does have is ability to create space, even if he doesn''t actually get past his man. Once he has space, he can cross accurately with either foot, which is an accomplishment. He has also shown himself an excellent goal scorer, shooting with either foot and also scoring with his head. Being tall is an advantage.

Will he make a difference when he returns? I sincerely hope so, but one of his problems is that sometimes he doesn''t "turn up" - he is anonymous and makes very little contribution.  If the fired up version is seen on his return, then there could be a real difference. With Surman out, we really have nobody to play wide left.

Has he been fully fit this season? The problem of having really only him as a left winger this season means that when he is fit enough to play he usually plays. I just seem to have a sense he hasn''t been 100% a lot when playing.

That saying he does make a massive difference to the team and I honestly think when he is fully fit and playing will (yes needs improve consistency) he is up there as one of our best players