Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

Adrian Durham at it again

WHY DO NORWICH AND STOKE PROFIT FROM DULL FOOTBALL?

Clutching at draws: Norwich manager Chris Hughton

Norwich are playing for draws and

Stoke are dreadful to watch. Two sides who let the Premier League down

with their lack of quality.

Fourteen times this season Stoke have

failed to score. They leave decent players like Charlie Adam and

Michael Kightly on the bench, and even when they need a goal they rarely

throw Michael Owen on.

It’s dreadful football and from what I

heard on Saturday (when I was at the Britannia Stadium), the fans are

beginning to turn against Pulis.

Norwich, meanwhile, have had more goalless draws than any other team.

Under pressure: Stoke boss Tony Pulis

With the odd exception, Norwich have

been happy to settle for a point in games particularly in the second

half of the season, hoping it will keep them safe. Look at Hughton’s

substitutions in certain games – they haven’t even tried to win.

My problem with Stoke and Norwich is

that they earn millions from TV. Advertisers pay for a product that they

expect people to watch. Subscribers pay for a product they want to

enjoy.

These two clubs are failing to provide a spectacle neutrals can enjoy.

They are gifted millions by the TV

deal, and I believe they have a duty to entertain. Norwich and Stoke,

more than any other clubs in the Premier League, are failing to fulfill

their obligations.

Norwich don’t try to win games. Stoke

have a style not fit for the top flight.  Should these two clubs really

earn millions when they add so little?

Stoke have been established in the Pl for many years now and should be both doing better and play more attractive football. I could not stand watching them week in week out. As for us this year has been a pain to watch but with a few highlights ie arsenal and man Utd. We understand as it is survival for us and future development. I would hate to think we  were still playing like this in 2 seasons time, indeed even next season

The Newcastle game at home stands out for me, they came for the draw and were there for the taking. But we didn''t seem to want to win anymore than they did.

Yes there have been games where we''ve been boring but Durham and some posters on this board imply that we go into every game looking to hold the opposition.Complete over reaction from some of our fans..

Good flowing attacking football does not just happen by magic.    With the reorganising and upgrading Hughton has had to do to develop the team, he has still had to produce results with a large part of the squad he inherited from PL.   That he has been achieving and even though we have struggled to create chances in some matches - not all matches - we are still on course.

Adrian Durham is a wind up merchant.  Just a talking tabloid.   He has nothing to say of any worth about anything and most days his shows are completely designed to get numpties to phone in and vent their anger at him.   

The bigger picture we are all now surely aware of.    After a difficult spell, we are still picking up points and putting in performances.   Its not easy, but no-one said it would be.    Th squad is developing and Hughton does not want us to be negative - his approach will see improvements up front - but not at the expense of defence (like PL teams).    His balanced approach will work.     Numpties like Durham wouldn''t care about the finer points of our club, wouldn''t really expect him too,  but surely as Norwich fans we know better?     i would hope so, anyway.

[quote user="SYG"]I struggle to disagree with him though...[/quote]

Don''t give in to him!  Don''t give in!   He''s paid a lot of money to come up with indoctrinating rubbish to try and lure people in.........

[quote user="jedi"]The Newcastle game at home stands out for me, they came for the draw and were there for the taking. But we didn''t seem to want to win anymore than they did.[/quote]

The warning signs ere there as far back as West Ham at home way back in August, when knowing that the following fixtures were against Newcastle away,Liverpool,Chelsea and Arsenal, Hughton didnt make changes to try and win the match.

I really don''t want to, believe me. But thinking about it, he does seems he makes some true statements

Well, to those of us who are not slightly concerned by the rather one-dimensional, over cautious approach we''ve adapted this season... this is a neutral (albeit it being Durham) saying the same thing. So there must be some truth in what the rest of us are saying.

Logic; it''s a wonderful thing.

[quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"]Yes there have been games where we''ve been boring but Durham and some posters on this board imply that we go into every game looking to hold the opposition.

Complete over reaction from some of our fans..
[/quote]

Is it an over reaction?....how many games can you recount this season when we''ve gone at the opposition?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"]Yes there have been games where we''ve been boring but Durham and some posters on this board imply that we go into every game looking to hold the opposition.Complete over reaction from some of our fans..[/quote]

Is it an over reaction?....how many games can you recount this season when we''ve gone at the opposition?

[/quote]

Hughton''s approach isn''t a gung ho "up and at em approach".   His method is to have a good balance between defence and attack, but to do that the players have to be able to carry it out - and don''t forget there are always two teams on the pitch, something people seem to forget at times.   We haven''t seen Hughton at his best because he needs more time to develop the squad.     Developing a squad to your way of playing AND getting results is a tough ask.    On the whole he is on the right track, but we do have to have patience.    I say again, Hughton is not a defensive manager - we have been struggling to create but it is not because we are too defensive - its more down to the ability of the players to play the system well enough.        It has worked several times over the course of the season - and even in the times it hasn''t - we have still been picking up points.  Patience.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"]Yes there have been games where we''ve been boring but Durham and some posters on this board imply that we go into every game looking to hold the opposition.Complete over reaction from some of our fans..[/quote]

[/quote]LDC has already posted a far better than answer than one I could hope to have responded with.However does it matter that we dont "go at the opposition?" Blackpool did, Reading have scored more goals and they''re both going to be playing championship football next year.Hughton has played it perfectly for me. I''m completely behind the guy.

The PL is a show, a pantomime, a performance...Stoke are the villains that people love to hate...we are the plucky underdog-wholesome and clean cut who most root for....both teams play their part in this league so he can hush.

[quote user="Robornio"]

Well, to those of us who are not slightly concerned by the rather one-dimensional, over cautious approach we''ve adapted this season... this is a neutral (albeit it being Durham) saying the same thing. So there must be some truth in what the rest of us are saying.

[/quote]

When I saw the words Adrian Durham I had to laugh - this guy knows nothing about anything!

I heard him berating the Spurs board and any Spurs fans who supported the appointment of AVB - referring to him as a Chelsea cast off! I was on the M25 at the time and I was cracking up with laughter at his ranting - reason I remember it was because it was the M25, and so spent a lot of time not moving, and a number of other drivers were also listening to his rant and the sight of a group of drivers all creasing up with laughter listening to the same twonk was a surreal experience! [:D]

If AD says the sun is shining, then my 1st reaction would be to get my raincoat and umbrella!

[quote user="Robornio"]

[/quote]Ahh, but you see, anything Durham the prat says is 100% incorrect. If Durham agrees with you, you know you''ve got it wrong.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"]Yes there have been games where we''ve been boring but Durham and some posters on this board imply that we go into every game looking to hold the opposition.

Complete over reaction from some of our fans..
[/quote]

[/quote]

Hughton''s approach isn''t a gung ho "up and at em approach".   His method is to have a good balance between defence and attack, but to do that the players have to be able to carry it out - and don''t forget there are always two teams on the pitch, something people seem to forget at times.   We haven''t seen Hughton at his best because he needs more time to develop the squad.     Developing a squad to your way of playing AND getting results is a tough ask.    On the whole he is on the right track, but we do have to have patience.    I say again, Hughton is not a defensive manager - we have been struggling to create but it is not because we are too defensive - its more down to the ability of the players to play the system well enough.        It has worked several times over the course of the season - and even in the times it hasn''t - we have still been picking up points. 

Patience.

[/quote]

"Patience" is all very well but Hughton has painted himself into a corner to such an extent that we may very well have to win 2 of our last 3 home matches.....somewhere along the line we are going to have to "go for it", my concern is that the players have now forgotten how to do this through being coached out of it for some months now.

I wouldn''t worry about what he says - nobody with half a brain takes it seriously - I doubt whether he does.

@ Jedi and GJL

Ignoring Durham. Coming off the poor results around Christmas I think not trying to beat Newcastle in that match has defined what''s followed. Win that match - and I think we would have had we been more adventurous - we''d have pushed on. As it is we''re in a relegation struggle which was, in my opinion, avoidable.

I don''t think Chris Hughton is the right man long term. If we stay up this season he deserves credit, but if at this time next year we''re still unadventurous and looking over our shoulder then that will clearly not be acceptable.

I just don''t believe he will ever change his risk-free approach regardless of the quality of the squad.

[quote user="Xavid Fox"]I don''t think Chris Hughton is the right man long term. If we stay up this season he deserves credit, but if at this time next year we''re still unadventurous and looking over our shoulder then that will clearly not be acceptable.

I just don''t believe he will ever change his risk-free approach regardless of the quality of the squad.
[/quote]Yeah. He must have been very disappointed with the 90 goals Newcastle scored while he was manager with them in the Championship in 2009/10.Ahh sure, you could argue that he had a great squad for the championship when Newcastle were relegated, but isn''t that the point? You see, I don''t think CH is the negative manager everyone paints him on here to be. He''s more a "horses for courses" kind of guy. He plays what he can with the livestock available.

[quote user="Xavid Fox"]I don''t think Chris Hughton is the right man long term. If we stay up this season he deserves credit, but if at this time next year we''re still unadventurous and looking over our shoulder then that will clearly not be acceptable. I just don''t believe he will ever change his risk-free approach regardless of the quality of the squad.[/quote]

Hi Xavid,

"If" is a word that can cover a multitude of eventualities!

However, what interests me is your comment regarding CH''s risk-free approach? Where, before he came here, was this evident? Why do you think he has taken this approach here - it must take a tremendous amount of discipline to stick to an approach, even when that approach has the odd hiccup. I think it is fair to say that were we to continue the "gung ho" approach from last season we would already be relegated. CH had to make a fundamental shift in the way we played football, starting by shoring up the back (except for RM there is no one else left in the back 4 from last season) and stiffening up the central midfield. He could have "tinkered" around the edges, but that would only have delayed the inevitable.

I don''t think that CH is a risk averse manager - none of his previous achievements indicate anything close to that

I''m not sure what is funnier, the radio troll or those that align themselves with him.

If you want to watch pretty, entertaining, free-flowing football, get yourself a season ticket at Camp Nou. If you want to support Norwich City, accept that, right now, survival is all that matters.

At this point in the season no one disagrees that survival is the only thing that matters. Where there clearly is a lack of consensus is the efficacy of our current tactics in securing survival.

Adrian Durham is a wind up merchant the majority of the time. I think he says things he doesn''t actually believe but plays Devil''s advocate because it gets people calling in and makes for controversial radio. It works as well giving that TalkSport attracts 2.5 million listeners on average. So people should take what he says with a large pinch of salt before completely overreacting.

However he does make some valid arguments in his piece. Stoke has invested a lot of money in the last couple of seasons. Despite Tony Pulis attempting to plead poverty they have spent £10 million on Peter Crouch, £8 million on Kenwyne Jones and £4 million on Cameron Jerome alone. That''s not even mentioning the midfield signings. I think the chairman and fans can legitimately ask despite this investment why the goal return is worse than ever.

As for Norwich it has been a tough watch this year but I think there are mitigating circumstances. The brief has to be to get results and having a solid defensive base is the best way available to us to achieve this with the resources we currently have.

That doesn''t necessarily justify or excuse some of our performances. I do think there have been times this season where against the likes of Reading, Newcastle and Villa we could have been more ruthless and gone for the kill. Time will tell if that costs us. I think ultimately we should just about shade it.

But if we do make it we have the foundations of a very decent side for this level starting to take shape. Particularly with the signing of Ricky Van Wolfswinkel. This is not a process that will happen overnight. Even Man City with their unlimited resources were totally unwatchable to begin with under Mancini when they played with 3 defensive midfielders but last season they blossomed into an absolutely devasting attacking unit.

There is no reason we can''t move onto the next level (i.e. being more potent) next season. If we start next season in a similar manner to this one people are more than entitled to ask questions of Hughton and his ideas. But I don''t think that will be an issue next season.