Sign in to follow this  
Redders Right Foot

Global Canaries - Gambia

the club show the Gambian section of global canaries quite often when talking about global canaries in general.

and you can''t blame them. they are the perfect example of a supporter. they don''t just demand what they want out of the club, they are greatful for everything they get, both as physical help and what the club produces on the pitch.

they put to rest the ''plastics not from england'' theme that has gone on this board since the end of last season.

and they put some of the ''supporters'' on here to shame.

I recently returned from 3 months in The Gambia and never once met another Canary supporter even though I was watching virtually all the Norwich games live in bars over there in my Norwich colours. Another observation I made is that nearly all Gambians and other Africans (mainly Sierra Leonians, Liberians and Senagalese, and Guinean Conakrians immigrants) in that country support what the expats call ''Mandinka'' United, being what I call ''fairweather'' supporters.  As a sole Canary I often suffered ridicule, especially on the occasion of the 4-0 defeat to Mandinka United.  [:D]  

Paul,Did you get to watch any local teams whilst over there? I''ve often wondered why we dont try to scout in English speaking West Africa like French teams seem to do in the French speaking areas.

[quote user="Louis Cyphre"]Paul,

Did you get to watch any local teams whilst over there? I''ve often wondered why we dont try to scout in English speaking West Africa like French teams seem to do in the French speaking areas.
[/quote]

I didn''t watch any local teams but I did make a good friend in a expat Scottish guy, ex-professional who was organising football competitions amongst the locals and who is also involved in academies who I will be keeping in touch with. I agree with your sentiments wholeheartedly.