Sign in to follow this  
can u sit down please

Hughtons Leadership Qualities.

Do any of ŷøü see any leadership skills? In a time where we are in a horrible run, our players want to look at a leader. Someone to rally the troops.

Villas troops are being led into battle admirably. We seem to be on the retreat. Walking backward in hope of gaining ground.

Ithere is no doubt that hughton is a great coach. Spurs and Newcastle can vouch for that. But there is a difference between a manager (leader) and a coach (players mate).

Am I missing something? I''ll hold my hands up if I''m wrong.

But has anyone seen any leadership qualities from our manager?

Lambert left, get over it lol.

Is running up and down the touchline shouting your definition of leadership qualities?

There are various ways to inspire and lead, if there was one foolproof way then everyone would do it, wouldnt they?

I''m

Asking what have you seen to inspire? Just saying tht the belief that lambert installs in people gives them that bit extra.

In your opinion have you seen anything if you sit close to the dig out? Has anything stuck out to ŷøü in the paper?

I''m not going for a lambert v hughton ding dong. Far from it so don''t turn it into that.

Wht makes a good leader? Someone that inspires? What would get you going on the pitch?

Agree beat reading and nearly there. But I''m not even confident of that.

M

I do believe that CH is a leader, but like PL, he doesn''t show it in public. He has a deep understanding of the game, as shown by his ability to pick and sign players. PL has some excellent qualities, but if you look at recent results you also have to look at Villa''s 8-0 mauling at Chelsea - where was the leader then? Then the 4-0 mauling by Spurs - where was the leader then? The succession of draws has been a bit frustrating, but look at the loss column of the teams behind us. Do you really want to live with that many losses? I don''t. CH is building a team, but it''ll take more than a year to do so. I''m convinced the leadership is certainly there. OTBC!

As a fan I''d like him to shown it in public. I''m sure others would too.

Fans look up to a leader too.

The best I''ve seen and no it''s not a comparison or saying we could get him. Mourinho. Absolutely fantastic at leading his team.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]I''m

Asking what have you seen to inspire? Just saying tht the belief that lambert installs in people gives them that bit extra.

In your opinion have you seen anything if you sit close to the dig out? Has anything stuck out to ŷøü in the paper?

I''m not going for a lambert v hughton ding dong. Far from it so don''t turn it into that.

Wht makes a good leader? Someone that inspires? What would get you going on the Agree beat reading and nearly there. But I''m not even confident of that.

M[/quote]

Some people lead by example, some lead by inspiring due to their quiet, commanding demeanour. Some lead by shouting a lot.

In all walks life there will be people who do things differently, some will make a big hoohah saying " look at how busy i am" some will quietly and calmly, and efficiently get on with their job.

Sorry but this just does look like "lambert is a better leader because he makes a lot of noise"

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Do any of ŷøü see any leadership skills? In a time where we are in a horrible run, our players want to look at a leader. Someone to rally the troops.[/quote]I might be old fashioned, but isn''t that the Captain''s job?

Leadership skills are an absolute requirement for a manager, question if Hughton has these skills and the thread morphs into a Lambert v Hughton thread, which it isn''t, presumably to deflect the Hughton criticism.

We don''t know what goes on in the dressing room so we can only judge by what we see on the field. What I see is a team that looks unsure and tentative, nervous to go forward and lacking in self belief. I see a manger who seems unable to make a decision to tactically change a game and is nervous to make substitutions.

Thats says poor leadership to me!

[quote user="can u sit down please"]As a fan I''d like him to shown it in public. I''m sure others would too. Fans look up to a leader too. The best I''ve seen and no it''s not a comparison or saying we could get him. Mourinho. Absolutely fantastic at leading his team.[/quote]

Well I went to the fans forum after the Liverpool game in September and I was impressed by the respect Hughton gave to the questions and his honesty in his answers. I said at the time it was the most interesting managers forum I''d ever been to. There was none of Roeder''s "missed your tenure" there was none of Lamberts telling jokes to avoid answering.

An honest man who shows people respect will always inspire me.

Now what makes you think he''s not a good leader?

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Villas troops are being led into battle admirably.[/quote][quote user="can u sit down please"]the belief that lambert installs in people gives them that bit extra[/quote][quote user="can u sit down please"]I''m

Asking what have you seen to inspire?[/quote][quote user="can u sit down please"]I''m not going for a lambert v hughton ding dong. Far from it so don''t turn it into that.[/quote]Never thought that for a moment. [:S]

[quote user="Vanwink"]and the thread morphs into a Lambert v Hughton thread, which it isn''t[/quote]Ok! [:S]

It''s not lambert v hughton. You forgot to add that one of the lambert references was in response to a what Mort said. I asked enough questions in this thread for people to participate but if they want to hide behind tht because they are unable to constructively talk about the matter that''s fine.

Lambert will never leave, will he lappin??

[quote user="can u sit down please"]It''s not lambert v hughton. You forgot to add that one of the lambert references was in response to a what Mort said. I asked enough questions in this thread for people to participate but if they want to hide behind tht because they are unable to constructively talk about the matter that''s fine.

Lambert will never leave, will he lappin??[/quote]So you mentioning the leadership qualities apparent at Aston Villa didn''t somewhat set the scene then?[:D]

[quote user="can u sit down please"]It''s not lambert v hughton.[/quote]Ok then, I won''t mention Lambert. DOH!! [:$]Being animated doesn''t necessarily make a good manager. One of the most vociferous managers we''ve had in recent years was Peter Grant and look how that worked out. Conversely, Dave Stringer did ok back in the day.

Isn''t the difficulty here that we just don''t know? Just like all the get rid of Calderwood and Trollope posts based on absolutely no idea what they do and how they do it.

I think we know managers because we see them in our living rooms but that is the public persona and we have no idea how they interact with the players. Is Wenger inspirational? I really don''t know.

We know Lambert is inspirational because both Russell Martin and Paul McVeigh have said he is the most charismatic manager they''ve played for. We know that players from his previous clubs hold Hughton in great esteem. We know that meeting him persuaded the highly ambitious Van Wolfswinkel to join City when Ricky visited Colney

Undoubtedly Hughton is not as charismatic as Lambert. Apparently few are.

Does it matter? Attlee was as effective a prime minister as Churchill though with not a shadow of his charisma. There is more than one definition of leadership and more than one model of football successful management.

Alan Green said yesterday about Di Canio that passion is an overrated quality. If leadership was about fist pumping then Stuart Pearce would be league champion.

I think we should stop all this fretting and looking for answers that can''t be found. One day we will know. After all, we all thought John Bond was a great leader yet the players held a party to celebrate his leaving. And for all his charisma, none of our players has looked like trying to follow Lambert.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="can u sit down please"]As a fan I''d like him to shown it in public. I''m sure others would too. Fans look up to a leader too. The best I''ve seen and no it''s not a comparison or saying we could get him. Mourinho. Absolutely fantastic at leading his team.[/quote]

Well I went to the fans forum after the Liverpool game in September and I was impressed by the respect Hughton gave to the questions and his honesty in his answers. I said at the time it was the most interesting managers forum I''d ever been to. There was none of Roeder''s "missed your tenure" there was none of Lamberts telling jokes to avoid answering.

An honest man who shows people respect will always inspire me.

Now what makes you think he''s not a good leader?

[/quote]

???

Chris Hughton, the man who led Newcastle to Championship promotion with all the pressures of managing a huge club and it''s massive support, in, I believe, record breaking point tally fashion.Chris Hughton who has delivered more clean sheets this season than any Premiership season for NCFC.Chris Hughton who led us through the 10 game unbeaten run.Chris Hughton who persuaded RVW to join us, instead of other clubs based on the project he is building here.A man hugely respected within the industry as a fine manager and man.To think that any fan can question his leadership abilities is bordering petulant. Honestly, some people must have far too much time on their hands. We are currently having a bit of a time of it in the most exciting league in the world. We are however getting points, putting in performances that on other days would yield wins and, if I look at the table, still a margin above the relegation zone.  Things can and probably will go for and against us in the run of games coming up to the end of the season, but I do not believe that Hughton will shy away from the task, nor shall he falter from the end goal.

"Can u sit down please" asks us if he has made a mistake. Perhaps - he has certainly overlooked something very important. This that in Benteke and Weimann Villa have two strikers much better and much more threat than any we have at the moment. Perhaps we should also include Bent and say three. Lambert has improved the defence as the season has gone on, but his strikers have been a threat all season. I expect the strikers in  particular to pose all soerts of problems for us.

Next season may be a fairer comparison when we have RvW, and perhaps others, to score goals.

It can''t be denied that the approach of the two managers is very different, with Lambert''s up-front aggressiveness contrasting with Hughton''s quiet encouragement. Who will be the more successful when the teams are more equally provided remains to be seen.

I doubt that what we see of Hughton pitch side and what he says in press conferences gives a full view of what he does as a manager.

So, how he inspires or provides leadership is unknown...which means its open to speculation unfortunately

I think that''s right. We just don''t see him everyday at practice, or in the dressing room. The point about Dave Stringer was apt and you could add Ken Brown and Mike Walker. The key thing is the respect that the players have in their manager and I think that is there.

''that in Benteke and Weimann Villa have two strikers much better and much more threat than any we have at the moment.''.....and Lambert spent in excess of £20m in buying these two and others for Villa - don''t think Hoots had anything like that sort of budget.With those two added to our current team I would anticipate us vying for a European spot, not trying to avoid relegation.

You only need to read comments from players, both past and present to realise that not only is Hughton a good leader but also a very highly respected person. Norwich managed to sign Bassong pretty much off the strenght of his respect for Hughton.

Conjecture on his character from the snippets heard in the press is very foolish - as said it is impossible to know how he is on the training ground or in the dressing room. Hughton needs time to develop his own squad - he inherited a paper thin one from Lambert which was running mainly on momentum and has done very well with limited resources in the mean time. Norwich need a bit of stability for a season or so and making another managerial change in the summer would be taking a big jump backwards as another new manager will look to build their own squad.

If a long-term vision like Swansea or effective director of football like WBA was in place managerial changes could be made with much less disruption to the first team as this isn''t in place Hughton needs to be allowed to create a squad of players - like Lambert was before him. Hughton has had a lot of success in the transfer market so far so I am more than happy for him to spend big this summer and with RVW already secured and talk of further attacking players I predict a much more exciting team next season.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Peter grant was a great coach. So is hughton.[/quote]I won''t disagree with you there cusdp but that isn''t the point I was making. Let me remind you of the first line of your opening post.......[quote user="can u sit down please"]Do any of ŷøü see any leadership

skills? In a time where we are in a horrible run, our players want to

look at a leader. Someone to rally the troops.[/quote]I also named Dave Stringer along with Grant as an example of another manager who went about his business in a quiet and efficient manner. My view is that it doesn''t need a display on the touchline to get respect from the players. A quiet word can often be as effective as a scream, especially in front of the fans.Clearly you don''t think Hughton has these leadership skills where I do. Let''s see who''s right this time! [;)]

It is pretty clear that Hughton has very strong leadership qualities. He identified what he felt were the challenges and identified a plan to deal with this. He has clearly communicated this to the players who seem to wish to implement it. I don''t think any of us are unclear about the change of direction that took place, so to question whether he is a leader seems strange to me.

Some might question whether we are heading in the right direction, under his leadership, (I don''t) but to suggest lack of leadership is misplaced and it would be possible to infer a lack of grasp of the concept from the statement.

I think this thread is a case of seeing what you want to see.

To some Grant Holt looks like Big Daddy in a football strip, to some Wes Hoolahan is a one footed show pony who needs to get his head up. Tettey and Johnson can''t pass, David Fox is Ian Crook.

If you have these preconceptions, you''ll notice every time Wes gets tackled, every time Tettey passes it out of play and Fox looks better and better through not playing.

I''m as guilty as the next man, I would almost swear blind that Cureton never scored a goal for Norwich and couldn''t hit Daisy''s posterior with a banjo...

Hughton appears confident, articulate and respectful. I''d say they were good qualities for a leader.

Considerable strength of character and a demonstration of leadership was shown in the team selection for Swansea.

Despite the negative press and fan criticism of the Wigan performance, Hughton showed both loyalty to the players and single-mindedness in sending the message to the players that - despite the outcome- they had done what he had asked and were "rewarded" with another start. This, despite the opprobrium that Hughton knew would come his way. Players love this. Comments in the press are for the tourists. Players care whether they play or not.

It takes a loyal and strong manager to say "you did what I asked, we are following a consistent coaching model, the outcome wasn''t we wanted, but the process was right". players like this. To a fan the result defines the emotion. A manager and coach must see beyond this.

[quote user="JayNCFC"]Chris Hughton, the man who led Newcastle to Championship promotion with all the pressures of managing a huge club and it''s massive support, in, I believe, record breaking point tally fashion.Chris Hughton who has delivered more clean sheets this season than any Premiership season for NCFC.Chris Hughton who led us through the 10 game unbeaten run.Chris Hughton who persuaded RVW to join us, instead of other clubs based on the project he is building here.A man hugely respected within the industry as a fine manager and man.To think that any fan can question his leadership abilities is bordering petulant. Honestly, some people must have far too much time on their hands. We are currently having a bit of a time of it in the most exciting league in the world. We are however getting points, putting in performances that on other days would yield wins and, if I look at the table, still a margin above the relegation zone.  Things can and probably will go for and against us in the run of games coming up to the end of the season, but I do not believe that Hughton will shy away from the task, nor shall he falter from the end goal.[/quote][Y]