Sign in to follow this  
Jersey Canary

Handball!

Doesn''t really feel right now. Shane as well as they were doing amazingly and this may reflect badly on them.

He onto the end of a cross arrived with a running header, it flicked his head slightly (I think) but then went in off his arm, from about a yard out. Not exactly Maradonna-esque, and not surprising that nobody on the pitch seemed to spot it.

Genuine attempt to get the ball, unintentional strike of the hand.

Yes if the red had seen it he may well have given a free-kick, but there was no intention so it would have been harsh

[quote user="Alan_Grey"]He onto the end of a cross arrived with a running header, it flicked his head slightly (I think) but then went in off his arm, from about a yard out. Not exactly Maradonna-esque, and not surprising that nobody on the pitch seemed to spot it.[/quote]

I have watched this umpteen times, and it appears to me that with the speed he was travelling at, the ball actually hit his arm after he had crossed the line.

Also, looking at it from behind the goal, their goalie (Smith) who is looking at him, doesn''t even complain. So on balance, I suspect the goal was a fair one.

At the ground there were no complaints and it looked like he was running at full speed and it hit him on the chest. On the replays it clearly hits his hand but as you say not clear it was handball.

Mind you we''ve been on the wrong end of several handball decisions recently so I''m not going to feel bad anyway it''s just the first leg over, nothing won yet

[quote user="Jersey Canary"]To be fair I didn''t see it first or second time only on umpteenth reply.[/quote]

I thought it hit his arm watching at full speed but I also though he was over the line, but then even on replays wether he was over or not wasnt conclusive.Whatever the ref denied us a 2 on one situation moments later when he called play back!

The scorer was coming in very quickly, onc he had determined the line of the cross, so would have have been more obvious if it was deliberate?

There seem to be two main questions:

1) Did it touch his head?

2) Was his arm, which it seems to have hit, already over the line, in which case it was a goal before any contact?

Fot a real judgement it would require one of the proposed goal-line cameras, and possibly also a camera right behind the goal.

No-one wants to win if it was handled deliberately and in play, but then no-one would want to lose from a referee mistake in not giving an advantage after a foul to a player clean through and with possibly the best chnace of the game