Sign in to follow this  
Rolf Harris

Youth:Nottingham Forest v Norwich

I thought we defended well and were the only team likely to score in the second half when their threat waned significantly - both full backs did well and wyatt was excellent.

We finished strongly and it was no surprise we scored, however fortuitously with a couple of good opportunities just before then.

if they are good enough the age does not matter but they will imporve with age

Totally agree with star manic on the two best players on showThe Murphy boys decision making has to sharpen up a lot. Lots of good stuff though. We looked a lot more fluid than Forest

Thought the lads did well and always looked the more likely team to nick it.

As others have said, the Murphy twins were prone to hanging on to the ball too long and made the wrong decision a few times.

However, there were several good performances with Morris and Wyatt the stand out performers. Hall-Johnson also had quite a steady game in midfield and did well to get him in the right place at the right time for the goal.

The interview with Adams was interesting, and yes I''ve missed his voice as well. Talked really honestly about these young players and how they were taking it steady with them. Also heard him say that the manager was ''fantastic, and has some of them training with the First Team Squad''. Really instills confidence in the way the club is being run all round, and shows why we got Elite status for the Academy.

I found it amusing how Neil Adams spoke more fluently, and made more sense, than either commentator or Matt Smith.

I felt as the game went on forest ran out of ideas and the only way they were going to score was either knocking a long ball for a attacker to run on to or a set piece but we defended both well. Going forward I thought we had a bit more quality but I agree 100% that the murphys and others need a bit more composure, good prospects but way to go before they could join the first team

Rely pleased for the lads and great to see a city away win!

Decent crowd at forest taking up much of one side. Hope we can do better at FCR!

It was good to get a proper look and particularly impressed with the LB and CF.Also the Murphy twins - i think the problem with them is that with so much technical ability it''s easy to get caught in two minds about what to do with the ball as you have multiple options at your feet. You can see why they were signed on in January.

Just got back from the game. I''m surprised no-one is talking about our number 4 Cameron McGeehan. I thought he was very impressive in the centre of the park, seemed to have a calmness that no-one else on the pitch had. Good passing & tackling. For me, he was definitely my man of the match closely followed by Wyatt. Looks like Holty agrees with me about McGeehan having just looked on his twitter.The Murphy twins showed glimpses but they are evidently very raw and I would be surprised to see them feature even in a cup game next season.

I suspect the Murphy brothers were hoping to make the most of their opportunity in the spotlight so as to make an impression viewers from all corners would remember, which is understandable. It''s quite typical of players that age, whose play consists in that ilk of flair and creativity, to be selfish in play on such an occasion.I''d expect that in an ordinary setting, many of the faults and mistakes that could have been quite easily attributed to their play tonight would in fact be less obvious on another day.I''ve seen enough individual bursts of talent tonight from them to understand the hype, but i''d want to see how they apply themselves in the right frame of mind before judging them on their potential.

I think sometimes the Murphy twins seemed a step above their team mates, expecting runs that didn''t happen and so forth.

I think they will come good in time, they just need a bit of honing. A lot, lot more promise than the Jarvis brothers though, that''s for sure!

Good effort we looked as though we''ve got several lads with decent potential.

I felt sometimes a simple pass and move would''ve been better, than trying the difficult one or taking the man on and getting into trouble.

Excited Canary - I''m surprised no-one is talking about our number 4 Cameron McGeehan"

Just had a read through, me too, thought Him, Wyatt and Morris were the standout performers. Good at breaking up play, good in the tackle and comfortable on the ball with a decent range of passing. Totally anchored that midfield.

Morris was very good though, he would probably have been my MOTM, just. He''s only 17 btw, not 18 till December.

I thought the Murphy twins did well, its hard to judge them on their PL potential when the standard of the opposition and the majority of the rest of the team isn''t close to that level. Like others have said, looked like they were trying too hard. I thought Jacob looked the more complete and less raw of the two in that match.

There may well be a difference in play at Carrow Road when they are playing on grass - Forests pitch lookedsodden and well cut up

Whether the one nil lead will make any difference to the way we play we''ll have to be seen, but as many have said some of our players may have to see the game as a team game - not as an individual showcase, and that team mates are not simply there to be passed to only when they have ran into trouble.

This home leg should see a good turn out and should be free to under 16''s, and assuming we go through (not certain) lets hope the second leg of the final is at Carrow Road. That will be a night and a half, more so with a whole generation of City fans never having experienced a cup final before - albeit it''s ''only'' the yoofs.

[quote user="Excited Canary"]Just got back from the game.

I''m surprised no-one is talking about our number 4 Cameron McGeehan. I thought he was very impressive in the centre of the park, seemed to have a calmness that no-one else on the pitch had. Good passing & tackling. For me, he was definitely my man of the match closely followed by Wyatt. Looks like Holty agrees with me about McGeehan having just looked on his twitter.

The Murphy twins showed glimpses but they are evidently very raw and I would be surprised to see them feature even in a cup game next season.
[/quote]

I agree with that. I think he''s definitely one to watch out for. Joined the academy at 16 and was previously with Chelsea. A little bit about him here : -

http://www.ex-canaries.co.uk/players/mcgeehan.htm

"Joanna Grey"Jeebus, this is the first thread in a long, long time where there has been a consensus of opinion.

And I agree as well.

Yep, makes a change. And for once I wouldn''t mind our players reading a thread about them.

[quote user="City1st"]

There may well be a difference in play at Carrow Road when they are playing on grass - Forests pitch lookedsodden and well cut up

Whether the one nil lead will make any difference to the way we play we''ll have to be seen, but as many have said some of our players may have to see the game as a team game - not as an individual showcase, and that team mates are not simply there to be passed to only when they have ran into trouble.

This home leg should see a good turn out and should be free to under 16''s, and assuming we go through (not certain) lets hope the second leg of the final is at Carrow Road. That will be a night and a half, more so with a whole generation of City fans never having experienced a cup final before - albeit it''s ''only'' the yoofs.

[/quote]

thought it was free to most supporters

Having thought about the match overnight, I would conclude:

• The cross which supplied the goal was one of the best bits of the evening, - the keeper and defenders stood no chance. Adams said that they have practiced it with him, and it certainly paid off. We needed it, because Forrest had done their homework and restricted our wide play that was so productive at Everton.
  • Or front three, the three Ms, looked very potent, and Morris only 17! They may have tried too hard to dribble their way through, but that may have been because the Forrest defence was well marshalled and, as I wrote above, we struggled to get down the wings.
  • We struggled with the bouncing ball, and generally, in trying to bring it under control. I thought that Forrest had an edge in height upfield and generally won the heading challenges.
  • I agree that Wyatt had a good game, but I hope that he grows a little more. He seems to have a wise head on him.
  • Our lads seem to have more left in the tank towards then end than Forrest did, - a testimony to their fitness.
  • I couldn''t select a single (Norwich) MOM, but there were a number who were impressive

[quote user="Yellows"]Holt was sitting next to Jack Lester, ex Forest and Chesterfield striker. Hughton was sitting next to Bowkett and they have shown Lansbury in the stands too.

The number 9, Morris, looks a good player.[/quote]Shame that the TV cameras were above the stand with the spectators. Made for a strange atmosphere with only the empty stands in view.At least the cameras will be on the City Stand next week, the only one open so far, so it''ll make it look a bit more '' real ''.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Yellows"]Holt was sitting next to Jack Lester, ex Forest and Chesterfield striker. Hughton was sitting next to Bowkett and they have shown Lansbury in the stands too. The number 9, Morris, looks a good player.[/quote]

Shame that the TV cameras were above the stand with the spectators. Made for a strange atmosphere with only the empty stands in view.

At least the cameras will be on the City Stand next week, the only one open so far, so it''ll make it look a bit more '' real ''.
[/quote]

Shame. Wondered whether it looked like Holty was on the two seats next to Jack Lester on tv...

[:|]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Yellows"]Holt was sitting next to Jack Lester, ex Forest and Chesterfield striker. Hughton was sitting next to Bowkett and they have shown Lansbury in the stands too. The number 9, Morris, looks a good player.[/quote]

Shame that the TV cameras were above the stand with the spectators. Made for a strange atmosphere with only the empty stands in view.

At least the cameras will be on the City Stand next week, the only one open so far, so it''ll make it look a bit more '' real ''.
[/quote]

Shame. Wondered whether it looked like Holty was on the two seats next to Jack Lester on tv...

[/quote]

Not if the tv camera had a sign that read, "Fade to black."

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Yellows"]Holt was sitting next to Jack Lester, ex Forest and Chesterfield striker. Hughton was sitting next to Bowkett and they have shown Lansbury in the stands too. The number 9, Morris, looks a good player.[/quote]Shame that the TV cameras were above the stand with the spectators. Made for a strange atmosphere with only the empty stands in view.At least the cameras will be on the City Stand next week, the only one open so far, so it''ll make it look a bit more '' real ''.[/quote]

[/quote]Well I did think for one moment I still had that old widescreen TV of mine........[;)]

[quote user="city4eva"][quote user="City1st"]

[/quote]

thought it was free to most supporters

[/quote]

eh ?

Season ticket holders and members, which is not ''most supporters''

though the price of £2 (to those who are not in the above category) should ensure a fair size crowd

I don''t understand why more comments havent come in to praise the back four as a whole. For me Toffolo and McFadden were well in control throughout the game and allowed other ''flair'' players to express themselves. Forrest had a striker who has scored hand fulls of goals this year and for me he didnt get a look in. Agree on Morris, think he was quality. Wyatt seemed lightweight but technically very sound. Murphy twins aren''t usually that greedy so that was a shame.