Sign in to follow this  
ABC (A Basingstoke Canary)

Arsenal - our "turn around" team?

I wonder if we could consider Arsenal as our "turn around" team?

Last season on the back of 3 heavy defeats (total of 1 goal for vs 11 against) we came up against high flying Arsenal away, got the draw and ended the season with a win.

At the start of this season, we were on the back of a winless run of 3 points after 7 games (total of 5 goals for vs 17 against), got the win and went on to our run of 6 wins and 4 draws.

And now, after a winless run of 5 games, are these signs to draw comfort from? Could we be Arsenal''s bogey team? Could Arsenal be looking at the form guide and see this as a "stroll in the park"? Could we pull off an unlikely "double"? All I know is that Saturday could be a lot of fun.

If we can manage to score first, then we will have a much better chance as Arsenal can go wobbly at home when they are chasing the game against teams that defend deep. We only need one such victory, even if agaisnt the run of play to completely transform the run in for us.

Being a fan, and thinking with my heart instead of my head, I have convinced myself we can get something from this game.It follows no logic, or actual facts based on current form obviously.

[quote user="morty"]Being a fan, and thinking with my heart instead of my head, I have convinced myself we can get something from this game.It follows no logic, or actual facts based on current form obviously.[/quote]And that is what fans do morty......well most of us anyway. [Y]

If you look back, we''ve done quite well against Arsenal. A few high scoring away draws, that win at home.... looking through my copy of ''History as it happened'' there''s a few good results against Arsenal in older years too.

But, i''m not going to expect us to get anything from the game, that way i won''t be disappointed!

Being a fan and havin g witnessed the performances the last few games, I think we''re in for a hammering... But I''m a fan, so I''m hoping I will be proved wrong.

I''m with Bobfleck. Always start having "optimistic" feelings about this time before a weekend game, but really can''t see it. Very worried about their pace and ability to break quickly through multiple channels. They look confident now having exorcised early season demons, we don''t and that''s not filling me with warm fuzzy feelings about Saturday. Best chance is to go Hughton-extreme, play a deep back line and squeeze them of space to use their pace and creativity and at very best nick a lucky point.

Saturday week is the important one and it would be nice if Holt didn''t come on late this Sat and batter someone risking being unavailable for the real crunch game of the season so far.