Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Messiah

Goal line technology approved for next season

"BBC Sport has learned that the Premier League meeting in London has passed goal-line technology for use next season, with British-based Hawk-Eye awarded the contract.

The FA will also install a system at Wembley Stadium in time for the Community Shield in August.

A raft of financial regulations have also been ratified by the 20 clubs."

Hope it has been improved since some of the trials - it wouldn''t work if there were too many players in the penalty area blocking the cameras'' view of the ball.

I feel this technology has been rushed through by the FA in an attempt to appease fans.

If the technology works what it will more often than not show is not that a ball deemed not to have crossed the line actually has, but the opposite - that a ball which looked over the line wasn''t.

Purple, what your response to me on the Margaret Thatcher thread showed was that you have begun a definite shift from fact based input to one of assumptions. Now I see your input here and, I must admit, thie same thought crossed my mind. Do you have any statistics to support this input? I also note that you are sharing your input in green. Is this your attempt to hide beind an alias? [:D] 

Makes me wonder why UEFA went for the German GoalControl system but the Premiership went for the British system Hawkeye.Wonder which one is really better

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]Purple, what your response to me on the Margaret Thatcher thread showed was that you have begun a definite shift from fact based input to one of assumptions. Now I see your input here and, I must admit, thie same thought crossed my mind. Do you have any statistics to support this input? I also note that you are sharing your input in green. Is this your attempt to hide beind an alias? [:D] [/quote]

1) Yankee, I decided to throw in the odd wild assertion (this one will be proved right but the statistics won''t be available until they start using the system...) just to confuse my image a bit.2) I did reply to your deeply hurtful[:''(][8o|][:''(] accusation on the Thatcher thread, but it seems to have been zapped, so perhaps you didn''t see that. Basically I denied everything.3) Tangible objected to me using blue and then red, and as you know I hold Tangible in such high esteem I couldn''t countenance upsetting him, so I wondered if he would find green unexceptional.

My feeling is that most cases where the fans/attackers claim a goal like this, actually it hasn''t crossed the line.  We''re told by commentators it has to be all the ball over all of the line, so a ball can look well over the line without being fully over.

Cases like the Frank Lampard shot against Germany are rare.  I''m trying to remember a single example involving City where there was a ball that looked over the line but no goal was given.  Can''t think of one off the top of my head.

So yes, I''d expect most cases to rule out a goal.  I think those who want statistical proof of this will have to wait until the technology has been in use for a while !

gettng the go ahead to use this technology is the easy part ,rewriting the laws of association football to decide when/where and how during the course of a game ,it is stopped to view it?.....immediately, then next break in play,and if it wan''t over the line where on the pitch does the game restart?!?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

gettng the go ahead to use this technology is the easy part ,rewriting the laws of association football to decide when/where and how during the course of a game ,it is stopped to view it?.....immediately, then next break in play,and if it wan''t over the line where on the pitch does the game restart?!?

[/quote]is it going to be the same it is in Tennis, or will it be a different system?if a team clears a ball off the line, runs up the other end and scores, Hawkeye then reveals the first shot was over the line then no point in any of it? you cant disallow a fair goal to give one that happened "in the past"

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]Purple, what your response to me on the Margaret Thatcher thread showed was that you have begun a definite shift from fact based input to one of assumptions. Now I see your input here and, I must admit, thie same thought crossed my mind. Do you have any statistics to support this input? I also note that you are sharing your input in green. Is this your attempt to hide beind an alias? [:D] [/quote]

1) Yankee, I decided to throw in the odd wild assertion (this one will be proved right but the statistics won''t be available until they start using the system...) just to confuse my image a bit.

2) I did reply to your deeply hurtful[:''(][8o|][:''(] accusation on the Thatcher thread, but it seems to have been zapped, so perhaps you didn''t see that. Basically I denied everything.

3) Tangible objected to me using blue and then red, and as you know I hold Tangible in such high esteem I couldn''t countenance upsetting him, so I wondered if he would find green unexceptional.

[/quote]

Purple, I don''t think Tangie will object to green too strenuously, however, if you start to yellow I suspect that will be a bridge too far for our Preston-loving friend.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]The game doesn''t stop. It instantly tells the ref if the ball is over the line. There is no need for anybody to watch replays

As said above, the game doesn''t stop like tennis. It is simpley made by the Hawkeye company, and isn''t based on exactly the same technology. The system sends a notification through the refs watch when the ball has crossed the line