Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

"My dad took me to my first game when i was 5..."

No, not me, this is what i hope my boy will say when he is asked how he became a Norwich fan. I''m taking him to his first game against Reading and know that anything could happen. He might hate it, it might be a bad experience, or maybe he''ll love it. I read someone saying on here that they became a fan because his dad took him to see his local team - Barnsley - and he decided to support the opposition that day - Norwich. What a disaster that would be. Still, at least we''re not playing QPR, or 1p5wich!

Any tips for improving the chances of him catching the Norwich bug gratefully recieved!

For me, the main appeal of Football at that age was the crisps =P

Just make it an enjoyable experience for him and he get to like it more ( bribery works!).

He will learn to obey ;)

I took my son to his first game when he was 5. It was a 0-0 draw with West Ham. But he was good as gold and didn''t craze me. Since then I''ve been in the company of my children and grandchildren at most of the games I''ve been to. Well, untiol this season when they drop me off in "The Blankets".[H] Daughter and 2 grandsons coming with me to Forest tomorrow. [:)]

a1.. your Norwich City experience is about to get sooo much better and take on a new meaning[Y]

[quote user="a1canary"]

No, not me, this is what i hope my boy will say when he is asked how he became a Norwich fan. I''m taking him to his first game against Reading and know that anything could happen. He might hate it, it might be a bad experience, or maybe he''ll love it. I read someone saying on here that they became a fan because his dad took him to see his local team - Barnsley - and he decided to support the opposition that day - Norwich. What a disaster that would be. Still, at least we''re not playing QPR, or 1p5wich!

Any tips for improving the chances of him catching the Norwich bug gratefully recieved!

[/quote]

No point. He will either take to it like a duck to water or he won''t. I can still recall the first time I was taken into Carrow Road in 1963 by my father and it was like being dropped into a magical wonderland. 50 years later it is still the same (well nearly!). Just make sure that he has something to record his first game (opposition, teams, etc) so that in 2063 he will be able to tell the full story to his children and grandchildren.

If its chilly make sure he is dressed warm enough and pray for goals. My first game was a dark cold November night and a 0-0, it wasnt until a year later and a 2-2 at my second game I got the bug. Boys just want to be like their dads, if you enjoy it he will too im sure. My 6 month old daughter has slept with a NCFC teddy every night since she was born, i figured being a girl it may be a little more difficult so am starting the brain washing early!

[quote user="a1canary"]

[/quote]In that case make doubly sure he knows that Ipswich are NOT the team in blue and white......[:D]

[quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="a1canary"]

[/quote]

No point...

Just make sure that he has something to record his first game (opposition, teams, etc) so that in 2063 he will be able to tell the full story to his children and grandchildren.

[/quote]

Sounds like a tip to me! And a good one. Not sure i like the thought of 2063 though :(

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

a1.. your Norwich City experience is about to get sooo much better and take on a new meaning[Y]

[/quote]

Cool!   

Although there is the one issue of the tickets being nearly all gone when i booked so ended up buying seats 29 and 31 on the row because there were none with two together. So i hope the kind soul in seat 30 doesn''t mind budging along one!

i wasn''t lucky enough to have a mentor to introduce me to the joys of Carrow Road. living in a tiny village in the wilds of Norfolk in the ''50s, with no public transport links, it was not until i joined the RAF at 16 that i was able to enjoy the magical journey along Riverside to the ground. as you can see, i had a deprived childhood.

[quote user="a1canary"][quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="a1canary"]

[/quote]

No point...

Just make sure that he has something to record his first game (opposition, teams, etc) so that in 2063 he will be able to tell the full story to his children and grandchildren.

[/quote]

Sounds like a tip to me! And a good one. Not sure i like the thought of 2063 though :(

[/quote]

Very good point. Definitely stretching it a bit. I was trying to work out where I might be in 2063 and then suddenly realised - very scary !!

My little brother turned 4 last month, Arsenal on Saturday will be his 5th game! He went to United away the other month and since then he hates them as "they didn''t let Kei Kamara score" - so  I''m certain he''s not gonna be a glory hunter! I think he''s more hooked than me at the moment...Kei Kamara is his hero. Hope you have fun!

[quote user="Excited Canary"]My little brother turned 4 last month, Arsenal on Saturday will be his 5th game! He went to United away the other month and since then he hates them as "they didn''t let Kei Kamara score" - so  I''m certain he''s not gonna be a glory hunter! I think he''s more hooked than me at the moment...Kei Kamara is his hero. Hope you have fun![/quote]

Had to give an "awwww" at the bit about "not letting kei score".

At that age a box to stand on, a rattle (football one) and scarf knitted by his granny.

The latter will be a bar scarf with the wool being orangey yellow and very dark green.

Send him down the front and he''ll have a whale of a time.

I took my son for the first time when he was 5, don''t be surprised if he doesn''t watch all the game.  Mine seemed to spend a lot of the game looking at the crowd, taking in the atmosphere I guess you could say (despite the comments on here about it being quiet at CR to a 5 year old it''s a whole different world).

After that I always gave him the choice, would you like to go and he''s always said yes (still does 15 years later!) 

So let him enjoy it, hopefully see a goal or two and then let him decide if he wants more

Thanks all, some useful tips and great stories here. I know i can''t expect him to understand a lot of what''s going on or to pay attention for 90 minutes. Hopefully, as many say it''s the atmosphere that he enjoys. And the green and yellow of course. He knows all about the green and yellow because it''s around the house, so to go somewhere where there''s green and yellow pretty much whereever he looks will hopefully cement things!

Can''t wait!

Be warned.  Kids do the unexpected.

My lad was probably nearer 7 but soon after kick off City scored and the noise so frightened him that he just burst into tears.

Yes, there is that - he went to a friend''s party the other day and when the birthday boy received his cake and everyone sang happy birthday and cheered, he burst in to tears! So you kind of know if he''s the sensitive type and if he was i wouldn''t take him. But i think he''s ready!

[quote user="ncfcstar"]My first game was an.....Ipswich game.  So your son already has 1 up on me.
[/quote]

Did Esther Rantzen become involved[:^)]

Reading seems to be a good choice to start with. It''s a winnable, and I expect us to go for the 3 points.

We always go plenty early, this way we can watch the warm-up, (which my 11yo son with plenty of match experience since the age of 4 always enjoyed), as well as the whole build-up to the game.

A visit to the Canary might also go down well.

I hope you''ll have a nice day with plenty of goal celebrations!

God I was definitely an early bloomer by the sounds of it. I went to my first game aged 2 and a half!! Living 185miles from Carrow Road though I guess the indoctrination probably had to begin a little earlier. Hoping to take my nephew next season. He just turned 4 this month so I figure he''ll be ready in about a year or so. No kids for me yet but I look forward to being in the situation you''re in now!! Best of luck A1 - do report back on how it goes, I for one would like to find out!

[quote user="kick it off"]God I was definitely an early bloomer by the sounds of it. I went to my first game aged 2 and a half!! Living 185miles from Carrow Road though I guess the indoctrination probably had to begin a little earlier. Hoping to take my nephew next season. He just turned 4 this month so I figure he''ll be ready in about a year or so. No kids for me yet but I look forward to being in the situation you''re in now!! Best of luck A1 - do report back on how it goes, I for one would like to find out![/quote]
I should add my first game was Vile away, and I spent most of the game watching Lenny the lion or whatever their mascot is called.