Sign in to follow this  
Steve Mortlock

Keep Faith With Worthy

First of all WORTHY MUST STAY.  Look at Leeds United, Coventry City, Leicester, Nottingham Forest and the list goes on. All clubs have been relegated and have changed managers after an indifferent spell  back in the Championship.  Have any of these clubs gone back up  ....Answer NO.

It is ludicrous to even mention that Worthington should not be manager of Norwich City.  The man is Norwich City and everything we should want in a manager.  Since relegation in 95 how many managers had tried and failed to get us back to the Premiership. 

A little history lesson

In no particular order. . . . .

O Niell (Although blatantly not his fault)  Walker (Great first time round but a mistake to reappoint)

Megson, Rioch (square peg in round hole, lol) , Hamilton (The best thing he did was to bring Worthy to Norwich)

Worthington takes over as manager after HAmilton was sending us to Div 2.  We survive only just (Brian McGoverns priceless goal) The following season he takes us to the Playoff final. We then miss out on play offs season after. One season after that we are crowned champions after seeing off all comers.  A fruitless ending to an exciting premiership finale ensued, having taken it to the wire.   Masterminded victories over Manure and Newcastle in the process. 

In the 5 years (Boxing day) Worthy has been here he has taken us from being a middle of the road Division 1 team (heading toward D2 at one STage) to an established top 6 six team and has won us a championship.  Okay he has presided over a relegation campaign but I can not see anyone other than Worthington getting us back in the Prem.

Please can people just give him the chance to do his job.  Look at the players he has bought in as well.  He gave green his chance, Shackell is now looking good, Danish International Thomas Helveg, Swedish International Jonnson, Adam Drury, Safri, McKenzie, Huckerby and the increasingly phenomenal Dean Ashton. One hell of a squad in the fizzy league with the right additions. 

Granted worthy has made some shocking signings but lets give him the benfeit of the doubt.  I do not want to see George Burley at Norwich as he has precided over some terrible signings (Counago, George, Sereni) and administration.  This is what everyone who bleeds Norwich City has worked hard to avoid since Delia saved and would be a Mike Walker (2nd time round size mistake) and a millions steps back. 

The only manager who can replace Nigel Worthington would be another Northern Irelander and he left because of Robert Chase.  Should we ever need another manager we can post who we would like to replace worthington but not when we have a strong squad and an excellent manager in place.  

Lets all get behind the squad next season, get behind worthington and push the lads back to the premiership WHERE WE WANT TO BE . . . . . and not fall into the trap of sacking a perfectly decent manager when the going got tough (West Brom stuck with Megson and they went back up !!!)

OTBC

Morty 

[quote].......and cue The Wiz and his potion of grump.[/quote]

And when West Brom dumped Meggy, they stayed up!.

Was that good enough Walrus?, well its true!.

You say look to West Brom and how a change of manager helped them. I say to you... Sunderland. They were struggling with Peter Reid and so thought it was a good idea to change manager. They went on to have the worst Premiership season on record. For the 1 time a change works so quickly, 10 times it won''t. Stability is the key to success in football. Changing the manager now would unsettle the side as some of the players seem to be only because of how Worthington works.

Changing manager now would be pure lunacy. We must have stability whilst we build for the next assault on the Premiership. Worthy has proved he can get us promoted, he will have more money now to build a squad that can keep us there next time around.

Worthy seemed to make some strange tactical decisions last season, but most people in the ''Worthy Out'' camp (judging by some comments on here) seemed to expect Premiership survival, and in my view completely underestimated the gulf between the Championship and the Premiership. Worthy just didn''t have the quality (and depth of quality) at hand, especially given the level of injuries we suffered. Even so we were in the fight right up to the end, well it made me proud.

I half expect us to have a tough start to the next season. We will have to bed in a lot of new players and this will take time, some of the early season results might not be what we expect. We HAVE to keep faith with Worthy if this happens, he turned around the 03/04 season and will do so again if required.

Wiz - That was becuase Megson was sh*te. Worthy isn''t. I think we''re going to be in for a festival of attacking football this season, and will be welcome back to the Premiership busom at the end of a successful campaign.

You know Wiz, you should raise funds for new players by having a sponsored Worthy Gag. I''ll give you £1 for each day you don''t post a message berating the poor lad.

I''m expecting an overall cash kitty of £0.05.

[quote]Wiz - That was becuase Megson was sh*te. Worthy isn''t. I think we''re going to be in for a festival of attacking football this season, and will be welcome back to the Premiership busom at the end of a ...[/quote]

I''ll gladly take that challenge Walrus.

If you send all monies to the youth academy and not me!.

Well, are we on?.  

I hope you all continue to wear your yellow and green tinted glasses next season because if Worthy was that good we would still be in the premiership. As for sending money to the Youth Academy I for one think that is not fulfilling it role at present very little coming through. Tonights EEN contains a letter that suggests where our problems may lie.

Ridgeman - so, it was all down to Worthy that we didn''t stay in the Prem?  Nice one..

It''s a deal then Wiz.

I''m keeping note of start date and any hint of criticism. Monies can go to the Academy, or i may even sponsor one of Ashton''s studs for you, depending on your success levels.

[quote]It''s a deal then Wiz. I''m keeping note of start date and any hint of criticism. Monies can go to the Academy, or i may even sponsor one of Ashton''s studs for you, depending on your success levels.[/quote]

That''s a deal then Walrus.

However, in the interest of fair play, (well, I don''t know you, do I ?) we need an independent third person to oversee this, maybe the pink un could accept your huge wads of cash on behalf of the club!.    

Ridgeman - ever thought that financial restraints and the quality of our squad might have had something to do with it too??? If we had won on the last day of the season then I bet Worthy would have been lauded as a great manager!! One game changes all that!!?? Unfortunatley some of the high profile signings that Worthy made just didn''t perform - namely Helveg, Jonson, Doherty - coupled with injuries to key players - Francis, Svensson, Safri, Bentley etc that makes life very difficult!

Basically Worthy is not going to be replaced so we might as well all get behind him and the lads for this coming season!!!! Norwich till I die!!!

For crying our loud can we stop moaning at Worthy. The board are not going to replace him so lets get behind him and the lads and push for promotion as a united fan base for next season!!!!

Keep faith with Worthy?  A good question but let me start with the simple fact that he is human.  We all make mistakes at work and we all have off days.  We all have days when we don''t really get going or even when we don''t want to be there. 

Why is Worthy different just because he does something that we would pay to and because our happiness depends on what he does each day at work?  He is doing his best and we have to ask if that best is good enough?

As pointed out, his record is good.  I am sure that Damo for one will be pleased to learn that relegation was entirely Worthy''s fault!!  I may be new to this posting activity but I have supported the Canaries since 1970.  Relegation was the result of bad luck, wrong choices and simply not being good enough at vital moments.  Worthy made mistakes but no more lost us the Prem than he gained us promotion.  His decisions seem to me to be more often right than wrong.  He has the fault of loyalty but any who remembers John Bond publicly putting Viv Busby on the transfer list after a not paparticularlyad game will know that there are worse faults.  He did drop Holt(okay far too late and at some cost to the Holt psyche no doubt but dropped he was), release Mulryne and transfer list McVeigh so loyalty is strong but not invincible.

It seems to me that he is good enough for the job as his teams, tactics and transfers are right more often than wrong.  His style is a pleasing one on the pitch with passing and skill encouraged.  Would we raelly want to watch Bolton week in and out?  In the short teterme want results but Norwich has always been about style too.

We do not know the real story concerning funds and how much there is to spend on transfers and wages.  Is Worthy cautious or just under orders is impossible to fathom

Off the pitch he has didignity and in a time when managers are implicated in vendettas press rage and unsavoury acts of all kinds that is worth something too.

We could find managers who would do a better job but it would not be easy.  IMHO Worthy is a good, solid and only human manager who deserves at least two seasons to get the job done and show us whether he is the man to establish Norwich as a genuine top flight club

PS I get most of the jargon but could some kind poster take pity on a new boy and tell me who or what WLY is please?

I have to admit, Worthy in the past has driven up the side walls of the stands with some crazy subsitutions and tactical decisions over the last few years and all though i hear my mates around me saying to get him out, i don''t think i agree. I have to admit i do shout and bawl at some of his crazy decsions, but hey i''m a supporter.
The thing is, if he goes the whole club is thrown up in the air again, when over the last few years it really seems like there''s a pretty good unity between board, management, players and fans. So, why risk breaking that up, only for us to have to start again.
I think you can see a noticeable improvement in Worthys management skill sin recent times, he still make sthe odd mind-boggling decisions, but he''s still quite a young manager and has done pretty dam well with what we have. It seem sto me that we are building the club up slowly for a long stint in the Prem.
All though, saying which if we are bottom at xmas, it''s all gonna be different! Can''t see it myself though, we''ll go up automatically.

I feel, in all fairness, we must have a ''referee'' to make sure the bet is honoured by both parties Walrus.

I''m sure that you are a honest guy, but how would I know that you are honouring your side to this bet for sure?.

This applies equally to me of course, after all. there are other City message boards, yes?.

Sorry but wizards by nature, are not trusting people!.  

So who can we get to do this?.

Until this issue is resolved, our ''wager'' is on hold, sorry.  

PS. I don''t think Campbell needs to apply for this vacancy!. 

Wizard, my friend, I think your P.S. would have been more sincere if it had read "As soon as somebody says something nice about Worthy I get an itchy trigger finger".

What''s all this then ? Wiz having his silence bought !   Never thought I''d see that day.

Anyway wouldn''t it be cheaper to wait until, inevitably, Campbell or the equally eloquent Y.C. do it for free ?

And what is our Wiz''s penalty should he lapse ?

[quote]What''s all this then ? Wiz having his silence bought ! Never thought I''d see that day. Anyway wouldn''t it be cheaper to wait until, inevitably, Campbell or the equally eloquent Y.C. do it for free...[/quote]

Panic ye not Jim.

Unless and until, an acceptable to all, third party ''referee'' can be found, the bet is on hold my friend.    

The wiz cannot be bought, although a night out with Kylie would seriously test that theory, and his nervous system!.

However, if a little money could be raised for the club, all well and good......... but as far as I''m concerned its only for the first 10 games anyway, so confident am I, that I''ll be very busy after that!.

But as I said Jim, until a neutral ref can be found, the bet is rescinded!!.     

Wiz - it''s going to be a right pain to get a neutral referee, and as you say, you may well be able to go moan on other forums.

However, it''s been 6 days since you last moaned about Worthy. I reckon you must be feeling brilliant. All the little birds singling, and the sun shining. No longer marooned under your Worthy black cloud, where the whip-crack of the lightening, forced your Worthy berating on to greater heights.

Come on into the Worthy sunshine Wiz. The waters luverly.

And your silence is deafening.