Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Wigan - what a joke

Wigan Athletic have so far failed to sell at least 10,000 of their

allocated tickets for Saturday''s FA Cup semi-final against Millwall.Premier League - you''re having a laughhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22097080

[quote user="Making Plans"]Wigan Athletic have so far failed to sell at least 10,000 of their

allocated tickets for Saturday''s FA Cup semi-final against Millwall.Premier League - you''re having a laughhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22097080[/quote]Always going to be a problem with such big neighbours in close proximity. They''ve punched above their weight for a long time and should be congratulated upon that rather than denigrated for a geographical situation beyond their control.

[quote user="ricardo"]Always going to be a problem with such big neighbours in close proximity. [/quote]But presumably not for Millwall who last time I looked weren''t exactly in the middle of nowhere with no competition around them

To be fair they have sold over 20,000 and given that they don''t have 30,000 londoners supporting them because they are a big club like Manure, at least their real fans will be watching the game.

Sad that they can''t sell 31,000 tickets for a semi though.

I wonder which other premership club would have the same trouble?

Semi-final shouldn''t be held at Wembly then this wouldn''t be such a problem. Villa park would have been a better venue and it would of sold out with a great atmosphere.

Couldn''t believe the hype going on in Wigan when we went up there at Easter, you would have thought that the premiership was done and dusted it was all about the visit to Wembly.

Still want them to reach the final though

It''s kinda sad they don''t have 30,000 fans! But as others have said, been punching above their weight for a while. If they go down I doubt they''ll come up again that quickly

[quote user="The Great Drinkell"]

Semi-final shouldn''t be held at Wembly then this wouldn''t be such a problem. Villa park would have been a better venue and it would of sold out with a great atmosphere.

[/quote]

spot on

the final is debased enough as it is now, without this being a game that (crowd wise) will look like some paintpot Trophy final

the cost to fans would also have been borne equally as well

perhaps they could rename the game, an assist final

There''s nothing sad about it, they are a pathetic excuse of a PL side.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Making Plans"]Wigan Athletic have so far failed to sell at least 10,000 of their

allocated tickets for Saturday''s FA Cup semi-final against Millwall.Premier League - you''re having a laughhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22097080[/quote]Always going to be a problem with such big neighbours in close proximity. They''ve punched above their weight for a long time and should be congratulated upon that rather than denigrated for a geographical situation beyond their control.[/quote]plus Wigan is a Rugby League town through and through.

I have no great love for Wigan, especially not after the way they handled the McManaman tackle and Whelan''s idiotic comments about Thatcher, but in all fairness it''s not completely the club''s fault they''ve failed to sell out.

Due to the ridiculous kick off time there''s no trains back to Wigan after the game ends. Considering the £150 for ticket and travel that fans would have to pay just to get the game, additional hotel costs for an overnight stay are bound to make it unfeasible for many.

If the FA gave a damn about the fans, they''d have chosen a more sensible kick off time, and more sensible pricing. Or even a more sensible venue.

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="The Great Drinkell"]

[/quote]

spot on

the final is debased enough as it is now, without this being a game that (crowd wise) will look like some paintpot Trophy final

[/quote]
Agreed

Small town, hundreds of miles away with a lot of big name competition around them, have to travel hundreds of miles for an overpriced ticket to face Millwall, in a terrible economy. 20k is commendable. They would be slated either way - if they''d sold out, everyone would complain about the fans not turning up every week.

They''re a small club with a lower fanbase. People need to get over it. A £100 or so roundtrip to a match that shouldn''t even be at Wembley might not be that high on peoples priorities right now.

Though if we want to be equitable with criticism, maybe turn some at Millwall fans who struggle to get over 10k in the Championship and find a way to get 30k for a semi final.

For a club the size of us or Wigan, a trip to Wembley in the FA Cup should be a once in a generation event, not something that is likely to happen twice in 3 weeks.  The idea to hold the semi-finals there is a joke.

I agree with many of the comments but at the end of the day this is the semi final of the FA Cup. It might not be what it used to be but it might be a long time before Wigan get to another one. Bradford, again not exactly in the middle of nowhere, also strong in Rugby League and who are 3 Leagues lower than Wigan, sold 32,000 tickets for the Capital One Cup Final versus Swansea.

[quote user="Making Plans"]I agree with many of the comments but at the end of the day this is the semi final of the FA Cup. It might not be what it used to be but it might be a long time before Wigan get to another one. Bradford, again not exactly in the middle of nowhere, also strong in Rugby League and who are 3 Leagues lower than Wigan, sold 32,000 tickets for the Capital One Cup Final versus Swansea.[/quote]

For a final. You can bet if they had to go to Wembley for a Semi final against a team a division lower than them it wouldn''t have sold. And once again, if those 32,000 turned up on a weekly basis, maybe Bradford wouldn''t have had such dire financial straits.

The decision to hold it at Wembley is where the real aim of ire should be. There will be plenty of people who simply cannot afford two round trips in the space of weeks and are holding out, hoping and/or expecting to make it.

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="City1st"][quote user="The Great Drinkell"]

[/quote]

spot on

[/quote]
Agreed
[/quote]This.Wembley Stadium is wholly inappropriate. Could have been a terrific atmosphere and occasion at a more appropriate ground. But of course the FA have to pay for their monstrously overpriced stadium somehow.

They are in the PL because they deserve to be. Their crowd size means nothing. It''s a bit snobby to look down on them as being too small for the Prem. There are loads of Manure fans that do the same to a club our size.

P.s I do agree that the SF should be held at a venue like Villa Park etc. rather than Wembley. Bloody FA.

To be fair, at least Wigan fans however the small the number are probably genuine fans fans. Rather than fans of larger clubs who seem to follow them because it''s just fashionable.

Plus you can''t penalise them just because their catchment area is rather small.

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="ricardo"]Always going to be a problem with such big neighbours in close proximity. [/quote]But presumably not for Millwall who last time I looked weren''t exactly in the middle of nowhere with no competition around them[/quote]I take it you don''t remember the last time Millwall got to the FA Cup Semi Final again Sunderland at old Trafford when they failed to sell thousends of their allocated tickets?I''m sure many people in Wigan can only afford one trip to Wembley, and are hoping to go for the final should they make it.

Totally agree with those saying that it shouldn''t be at Wembley.

Totally agree, if it has to be held at a neutral venue, hold it at another top club. Wembley should be saved for the best of the best.

a rugby town and amongst the newest professional football clubs with a small football fans base living the dream beyond their means. How many teams have 2 signings from Hamilton in their playing squad.

Yes - they have their embarrassing moments but claiming they should not be prem league is no better than wolves, leeds forest claiming pl status as they were historically big clubs. Follow that through and we wont exist in the prem if is based on a how big is your d!ck / fanbase / history competition.

We are closer to wigan than an everton - we dont have to like them but dont need to ridicule them either.

Very sad - we''ve not been to Wembley for nearly 30 years so would sell out like a shot. Just goes to show the PL is about broadcast income + rich owners - not supporters - if Wigan can survive for so long.

It is a bit on the feeble side, but to be fair Wigan just don''t have the fanbase. Playing all sf''s at Wembley is a big mistake, it belittles the final and we should also bear in mind that Man C v Chelsea isn''t (yet) a sell-out either.

It has to be said that Wigan''s effort is still far better than when Luton played Wimbledon at White Hart Lane in 1988, both sides were in the top division yet only 25963 bothered to turn up.

That''s not too bad to be fair and like others have said, at least Wigan''s real fans will be visiting.

I went to Wigan away last season and this season and to be fair that little pocket of fans to the left of us made more noise than Liverpool, United, Chelsea, Everton etc, I almost envy the fact they haven''t got glory hunters for fans.

Seems when you get success a few numbskulls come out of the woodwork......

FA''s now made 6,000 spares available to pre-selected neutrals. I wouldn''t mind swinging by if the price is right and if I actually got asked. it would be like going to Senegal v Uruguay again but presumably a better atmos.

Maybe this is the event where Millwall finally pass on their famous song to Wigan for safekeeping.

Wigan are the new Wimbledon in terms of support.I feel a little sorry for their players having to play in front of so few fans, especially away. Even their crucial game last Sunday didn''t seem to persuade many to make the effort to get to Loftus Road.I agree that the Semi-Final shouldn''t be played at Wembley but at ordinary seat prices starting at £30 I''d have thought that Wigan might have expected to have sold more than they have.Anyone looking for at a last minute all-singing top corporate package at a bargain £449 will presumably find they can still be squeezed in....