Sign in to follow this  
Becchio the magnifico

Chris hOUTon?

Hughton, he''s kept us up (probably) and has brought in better players. Players such as bassong and tettey have fulfilled a role never seen in a norwich side, strong, physical and highly depended upon or else we concede 5. But is Hughton the right man for norwich? I hate to mention the man but wasnt Lambert better? Quick attacking football, went out for the win, played football which was entertaining as well as effective. I''m not going to harp on about Lambert much longer though, as norwich, with hughton at the helm, are going to witness the perhaps biggest season in norwich''s history. Better players (RVW etc) , more money, less weakness in defence and more fire power going forward. If this is not norwich''s biggest transfer window ever, then Hughton isn''t the ambitious leader norwich need, however I still the hughton out campaigners should first see the signings atthethe end of the season, before demanding the return of o''Neil. Etc

Let''s first settle the "probably" bit, he''s definitely not kept us up yet. I hope he does, but I''m still nervous

So the only reason you wouldn''t sack him is if we spend a lot in the summer? That point is kind of irrelevent. I look at Hughton as an investment, at the minute we are not amazing but the squad we are starting to build is potentially very exciting. My main reason I think Hughton is a great manager is his foresight and ability to identify weasknesses in the team, as shown with Bunn & Camp signings, RVW, Whittaker (great cover),dropping Holt and sticking with Turner.

Not sure why our current manager cannot be compaired to our previous one?. would you have similar issues comparing Earnshaw to Ashton, or Gunn to Grant?. If someone was to say the board made a mistake appointing Hughton because Lambert was better I could agree with you but I dont think they have. Personally I would have Hughton as manager with Lambert as tactical advisor (or maybe Culverhouse as thats apparently where the genious lay). Hughton''s only downfall for me so far is the inability to change the couse of a game once its in progress but unless you can attract the top 3-4 managers in the world then there will always be an area of weakness be it transfer dealings (Hughes) man mangement (wenger) crookedness (QPR) or outright insanity (Sunderland).

CH may keep us up, - I hope that he does, but even if he doesn''t that doesn''t make him a worse manager than Lambert.

1) Lambert had the advantage of being the unknown to other managers. Likewise defenders were not ready for Holt. We surprised eveyone, even ourselves. Other managers have worked out our players, and left CH with the second season problem.

2) Lambert clearly felt that it was going to be difficult, given our squad and a lack of money. He more or less admitted that he couldn''t take the team any further. He funked it. CH had to pick up the pieces, and buy a few players late on, again on a limited budget.

Many in the squad were signed to escape Division 1, others to challenge in the Championship.If we survive, several of these will leave in the summer because they are not really good enough to make a successful team in the Premiership. So the problems of the second season, and players who have been seen through by other managers, were always going to make it difficult for any manager. Lambert left, and CH was left holding the baby.

[quote user="Javiers Deaf Translator"]troll threads obvious. and rob, how can you say he hasn''t *probably* kept us up?[/quote]

LOL

Perhaps ROB thinks he''s probably took us down[:^)]

I hate people using the excuse that players and teams have "worked" us out.

Lambert would change his team regularly and change tactics regularly so that teams would never know what they would be playing against, and that for me is what Hughton is lacking. That and is inability to attack!

I do see CH as decent manager. He''s signed some great players, and let''s not forget that log unbeaten run we went on earlier this season. I do believe that our drop in form is linked to Ruddy''s injury.

[quote user="barclay_boy111"]I hate people using the excuse that players and teams have "worked" us out.

Lambert would change his team regularly and change tactics regularly so that teams would never know what they would be playing against, and that for me is what Hughton is lacking. That and is inability to attack![/quote]

Its horses for courses though, isn''t it?     The only way Lambert''s way could work is because he chopped and changed.  The worst that can be said about this is that the system went out of the window sometimes, because the players plainly didn''t have a clue what the system was.    At best it confused the opposition.   On balance it worked, but at the top level, we were beginning to be found out by the end of the season.

Hughton is so different.   Gets players to know exactly what their job is, organised defensively and consistent in tactics and in personel.   The theory is that teamwork will develop on a more steady basis and can grow simply because everyone knows what they are doing.   The argument that he is defensive is wrong imo, his approach is more like David Moyes at Everton - fiercely competitive,  good all over the field, defending well and attacking well.   The job is only half done imo,  I strongly feel that next season we will see the attacking side of Hughton''s brief coming in to play.

" the attacking side of Hughtons brief coming into play"

What is Hughtons. brief?

[quote user="Vanwink"]

What is Hughtons. brief?

[/quote]

With the enormous increase in revenue from the new TV deal coming into effect next season it was outlined by the Chairman at the club AGM that Hughton must keep us up this year at all costs.He finished by jokingly saying that there was no pressure.

So presumably if we go down then the Chairman will,get rid of him?

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="barclay_boy111"]I hate people using the excuse that players and teams have "worked" us out.

Lambert would change his team regularly and change tactics regularly so that teams would never know what they would be playing against, and that for me is what Hughton is lacking. That and is inability to attack![/quote]

Its horses for courses though, isn''t it?     The only way Lambert''s way could work is because he chopped and changed.  The worst that can be said about this is that the system went out of the window sometimes, because the players plainly didn''t have a clue what the system was.    At best it confused the opposition.   On balance it worked, but at the top level, we were beginning to be found out by the end of the season.

Hughton is so different.   Gets players to know exactly what their job is, organised defensively and consistent in tactics and in personel.   The theory is that teamwork will develop on a more steady basis and can grow simply because everyone knows what they are doing.   The argument that he is defensive is wrong imo, his approach is more like David Moyes at Everton - fiercely competitive,  good all over the field, defending well and attacking well.   The job is only half done imo,  I strongly feel that next season we will see the attacking side of Hughton''s brief coming in to play.

[/quote]
I think saying Paul Lambert was just organising chaos is a bit disingenuous to his football management. It wasn''t as calm and collected as Hughton''s granted, but he knew what he was doing. 

"good all over the field, defending well and attacking well."

that''s if you define attacking as getting the ball 10 yards into the opponents half before checking and passing back

[quote user="City1st"]

"good all over the field, defending well and attacking well."

that''s if you define attacking as getting the ball 10 yards into the opponents half before checking and passing back     

[/quote]

If you will insist on taking things out of context - I was implying that given time we will see good attacking play from a Hughton team.  Dropped in to a season with very little preparation time, he has done well to steady the ship, give the defence some organisation - and he has had some good results combined with  a hard to beat mentality.     Glimpses of things to come - Swansea away, Sunderland home first half.   Tantalising but there nevertheless.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="Vanwink"]

What is Hughtons. brief?

[/quote]

With the enormous increase in revenue from the new TV deal coming into effect next season it was outlined by the Chairman at the club AGM that Hughton must keep us up this year at all costs.He finished by jokingly saying that there was no pressure.

[/quote]

Makes you wonder why we didn''t sign a striker in January then doesn''t it, if it was at all costs?[:^)]

For me it would stick in the throat a bit if we were to go down and the likes of Wigan and Villa both stayed up, 2 clubs who both spent big on strikers - Kone and Benteke.  Two players who are probably their best and most influential players who without them I think it''s safe to say, they''d be a lot worse off than they currently are!

Clearly a statement made to attract the admiration of people like my mate Tilly and other complacent posters on here!

The reality does not match the rhetoric unfortunately, where are the quality forwards that we need to keep us up?

Well, we know that we tried to sign quality forwards last summer and in January. We failed perhaps but there was clear intent so I''m not sure what your point is

[quote user="barclay_boy111"]I hate people using the excuse that players and teams have "worked" us out.

Lambert would change his team regularly and change tactics regularly so that teams would never know what they would be playing against, and that for me is what Hughton is lacking. That and is inability to attack![/quote]CH''s statistics as manager of Newcastle give the lie to that statement. P70, W39, D17, L14.  %wins, 55.71. what he had there, but didn''t have here this season, is financial clout to buy his players.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]Well, we know that we tried to sign quality forwards last summer and in January. We failed perhaps but there was clear intent so I''m not sure what your point is[/quote]

There is a big difference between press reports that we are after certain players, and potential transfer figures being bandied around, and proven quality strikers coming through the door. That is the only measure that actually means anything.