Sign in to follow this  
norfolkbroadslim

Hughton Says We're Not Defensive / Negative, But Turner Says Different!!!

Surely some others must have picked up on this as well?

Hughton keeps saying that we do not set up with a negative / defensive mind-set, a question which is probably put to him on a regular basis given the lack of goals, yet Turner says different -

http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/michael_turner_norwich_city_can_win_at_arsenal_1_2014781

“We are playing the way we are told to,” he added. “We play off a good defensive shape and then try to break a little bit.

Earlier in the article Turner says that we have to see the Arsenal game as a chance for us to go and express ourselves.  Is Turner implying that the lads are seldom able to express themselves under the way we usually set-up  for games?

What is it then?  Are we negative or aren''t we?[:^)]

Oh dear god here we go again.

Where did Hughton say we don''t play a defensive/ negative set up? Source please. Not saying we don''t, because we do, but where did Hughton deny this?

Or yet another myth being spread?

Also, Turner makes note of saying that we go on the break, not, "we sit deep and hold there the whole game".

Hmm.

I should hope he does play with a good defensive shape and then tries to break a little bit. He is a defender. I think that''s what he was referring too. That''s what HE and his fellow defenders have been told to do.

Since when is trying to keep a good defensive shape a bad thing? I thought England won the world cup that way. Italy certainly has... several times. And Germany for that matter.

I digress. Hughton really doesn''t set the team up for the purpose of losing (be a little counter-intuitive, don''t you think?). But, he can''t cross that white-line and play it for them. If the team go timid when on the pitch - which they have done on a number of occasions this season... too often in fact - its on them. I do believe that Lambert (the Messiah that most of the moaners cry over every night) said something similar.

Seems to me that up against a team like Arsenal, playing carefully is the right thing to do, anyway. Doesn''t make it negative or defensive. It makes it sensible.

Selective quoting.  What about this bit?"We basically go to park the bus," said Turner.  "The lads are told to defend deep and not push forward, and try to nick a point.  Me and the lads, we don''t see why this is always the plan ''cos with Holty, Luca and Kei we''ve got more than enough world-class firepower to trouble any defence, but that''s the way the gaffer wants us to set up.  We tried to mutiny in training last week when Snoddy and Benno ran the length of the pitch and scored, but Calderwood and the other one threw tear gas into our changing room as punishment and now we know what we''re supposed to be doing."

I heard Hughton went round & towel-flicked them all in the shower after we beat Everton. He''s threatened them with Chinese burns if they do it again.

I really don''t like the synonymous use of ''negative'' and ''defensive''. For me, ''negative'' is the sort of thing you do in the last 5 minutes to waste time, ie; taking the ball into the corner with no intention whatsoever of trying to score.

We set up defensively because Hughton thinks that''s the best chance we have of winning a game. Therefore, defensive is actually positive. We don''t set up to deliberately not score and take the ball into the corner from minute 1.

Chelsea''s run in the Champions cup is the primest example of negative. We don''t do that, so therefore are not negative.