Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

The nasty side of Holt

He has been a fantastic servant to this club but the last few weeks/games it is almost as if he has turned into a different person. He is getting booked virtually every game and a couple of tackles in the last few weeks, the one against Swanseaon saturday being one he is very fortunate not to have been sent off. Many players may be disappointed at dropping down the pecking order but this type of reaction is totally unacceptable and counter productive unless he is engeneering a cut price move out of the club. With points being so vital i cannot see Houghton risking him we cannot afford to go down to 10 men at the moment due to madness from a particular player, we saw how it cost QPR yesterday with Zamora. It is a great shame that he seems to be ending his city career in such a petulant fashion. with his age i always thought he would be more of an impact player next season but at this rate i do not expect him still to be here. With the great benefit of hindsight that longer term lucrative contract was a big mistake and is a lesson for the future. If he was playing for a new deal i am sure his attitude would be different

Agreed

One thought to all of this - what would his reaction on the field be if he was selected to start on Saturday? Would it be petulant or would he work his butt off?

A few GH scenarios to consider:

If he were sent off, would all "HO''s" say it''s because he hasn''t been treated fairly?

If he was sent off would the team be able to perform ala Sunderland?

If he is being "petulant" what effect is that having on the rest of the team in the dressing room?

If he is being petulant, is there anyone in the dressing room big enough to stand up to him?

What I would like to see is for GH to say to CH - "let me start and I guarantee to score the goals we need". Now, he may not actually score them, but it would certainly show a level of intent and committment that could bond the team closer together for the run in. We need the captain to lead by example!

The demise of Holty has been a sad consequence of the Hughton stewardship.

Can we not even consider Holty''s form all season? Or just the last couple of games where he has had to come off the bench. Didn''t he score the winner against Everton?

I hope he starts next game and every game until the end of the season. He is the best we have.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Can we not even consider Holty''s form all season? Or just the last couple of games where he has had to come off the bench. Didn''t he score the winner against Everton?

I hope he starts next game and every game until the end of the season. He is the best we have.

[/quote]

Not after Saturday

[quote user="Vanwink"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote] Not after Saturday[/quote]

Who''s better then?

On recent showings if Holty starts we will finish with 10 men, so in that respect anybody is better, I would keep Kamara up front.

You have seen him play recently and you know I'' m right, he should have gone on Saturday

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Vanwink"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Who''s better then?

[/quote]There''s probably nobody better Nutty but he needs to stop acting like a madman as soon as he''s on the pitch. He should have been sent off straightaway against Swansea and there''s been numerous other occasions this term when he''s been '' robust '' in the extreme.There''s nothing wrong in having someone who puts himself about but what''s the use of running the risk of having him sent off.It''s sad how it''s all gone downhill for him this season under the new manager but I just can''t see him remaining at Carrow Rd for very much longer.

Those defending Holt are living in the past. The tireless warrior of old, leading line and chasing down lost causes is a thing of seasons gone by. This year''s marque is lazy, arrogant, childish and not a team player. Bench warmer for the remainder of the season, gone in the summer. Legend status tarnished if not yet in tatters.He probably still thinks he is worth an England call up so you could probably add delusional to that list of faults.

So we now need Mister''s justice button for referees. Saturday''s game would have such a different outcome. Our fans would give our point back to Swansea and retrospectively send off our captain and best striker so he misses the next three games. I''m sure between you you''ll find some way to get us relegated.....

Hughton admitted he would need to view the first incident again, but insisted he wanted to see an aggressive edge from his striker.

“I haven’t seen it since and certainly the feeling of most of the people around me at the time it wasn’t a bad one,” he said. “That includes the officials. If I see it again and possibly I have my thoughts on it again, but in live play most didn’t feel it was a bad challenge. I suppose for Grant it’s just that thin line because what he wants to do, he wants to come on and make an impact and what Grant is, is a very determined player. If I look at the bookings he has picked up, it’s certainly not anything malicious.

“It’s just an over-exuberance in somebody who wants to come on and make an impact. I don’t think it’s frustration. I think it’s part and parcel of the game. I think Grant accepts that as a striker, sometimes you can start and sometimes you can make an impact as a sub. He’s club captain and somebody who is a very good player. I have no doubts that he will play a part over the next six matches.“

Now are you lot supporters or judges? Why don''t you lobby the FA to revisit the incident? Maybe you could get Holty a 3 game ban  so that he can''t play his part over the next six matches...

Now are you lot supporters or judges? Why don''t you lobby the FA to revisit the incident? Maybe you could get Holty a 3 game ban  so that he can''t play his part over the next six matches...

[/quote]

The way he is going at the moment we wont need to get him a 3 game ban, he''ll get it himself!

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Vanwink"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Who''s better then?

[/quote]

I''m with Nutty on this one.  I cannot believe the nasty anti-Holt sentiment at the moment.

There is no better striker at the club. 

I believe that it''s down to the very fact of how massive a player Holt has been for us over the previous 3 seasons and the fact that he is club captain that he is now unfairly getting shouldered with the vast majority of the blame and criticism which is undeserved imho.

As a team we are firing blanks and our strikers are ALL massively misfiring.  Does this not tell you anything???

No other striker has scored more goals than Holt this season, and no other striker will score more goals than Holt this season.

Play Holt from the start for the final 6 games and we will stay up.

Stuff like this about Holt you expect from certain moronic posters, but I have to say I have been taken aback by some of the people spouting this nonsense.  To me it seems like the ''Holt Haters'' have been desperately itching for this, especially since his contract issues, something to attack him with.  Have any of you considered a career in tabloid journalism.

One final thing, I trust that if Holt does make an impact over the final 6 games and scores the goals that keep us in this division, that you don''t all of a sudden change your opinion of the fat, lazy, vicious, past it waste of space!  Because that would show you up for exactly what you are and you''d look rather silly (sillier than you do already, should I say)!!!

[:@][:@][:@]

Hughton admitted he would need to view the first incident again, but insisted he wanted to see an aggressive edge from his striker.

“I haven’t seen it since and certainly the feeling of most of the people around me at the time it wasn’t a bad one,” he said. “That includes the officials. If I see it again and possibly I have my thoughts on it again, but in live play most didn’t feel it was a bad challenge. I suppose for Grant it’s just that thin line because what he wants to do, he wants to come on and make an impact and what Grant is, is a very determined player. If I look at the bookings he has picked up, it’s certainly not anything malicious.

“It’s just an over-exuberance in somebody who wants to come on and make an impact. I don’t think it’s frustration. I think it’s part and parcel of the game. I think Grant accepts that as a striker, sometimes you can start and sometimes you can make an impact as a sub. He’s club captain and somebody who is a very good player. I have no doubts that he will play a part over the next six matches.“

[/quote]

We''re both supporters and judges. Chris Hughton is only ever going to be a supporter, at least publicly.Of course we all want Holt to do his bit for the team - supporters - but when he behaves so stupidly we''re judges too. Right now he doesn''t need to be so reckless and be more of a liability than an asset.

[quote user="Vanwink"]Sometimes it''s hard to admit that your hero is past it![/quote]

You''ve finally realised that John Wark isn''t going to make a comeback?[:^)]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[quote user="Vanwink"]Sometimes it''s hard to admit that your hero is past it![/quote]

You''ve finally realised that John Wark isn''t going to make a comeback?[:^)]

[/quote]

Love that - probably gone right over the heads of some!

People were saying this last season before he started scoring, saying he was a disgrace and an embarrassment blah blah blah after a couple of substitute appearances coming on for Morison, the guy has always been a liability when it comes to his aggressive nature.

On another note can somebody fill me in to as why he was booked, and why it could have been a straight red on the Swansea player? As I didn''t have a clear view of what happened

This piece taken from the Guardian might help!

4) FA rules mean yet another wild challenge goes unpunished

Whether deliberate or accidental (you can draw your own conclusions) Grant Holt''s studs-up rake down the shin of Chico Flores during the 2-2 draw between the two sides was undeniably dangerous and worthy of a red card. Hardly renowned for his dexterity and finesse in the tackle, the Norwich City striker had just been introduced as a substitute when he left the Swansea City defender, who was just back from a seven-week absence from injury, rolling on the floor courtesy of a brutal lunge.

Despite the referee, Michael Oliver, penalising Holt for the foul and his assistant having a perfect view of the incident, no card was produced and such are the nonsensical FA rules that Holt will escape retrospective punishment, just like Wigan''s Callum McManaman after his wild knee-high tackle on the Newcastle left-back Massadio Haïdara.

After the outcry prompted by McManaman''s escape from sanction, the FA announced its intention to raise the issue with the other ''stakeholders'' involved in setting disciplinary guidelines at the end of the season, which was not enough to stop Newcastle officials from labeling them unfit for purpose. In the meantime Holt is almost certain to escape scot-free while, presumably, Oliver can look forward to a spell officiating a tier or two below the Premier League. Barry Glendenning

Why is it always one extreme or the other?   Does it have to be holt out?

Yes Holt HAS been our bestr striker but he is most certainly out of sorts at the moment.   That does not mean he is over the hill,  disillusioned,  having a paddy or deserves firing.   It means he is currently not holding the ball up as well, threatening to score,   winning as many headers and kicking opponents more than the ball at the mo.  He is no "leading" the dirty player list with more fouls than any other.  

I do think he will come good again,  he has done so before and I think he will again.

But his current form is simply not good enough to start right now.   Show some sparkle when back on the pitch and stay just the right side of that think line between being imposing and over aggressive - then he will have earned the right to start again.  Until then Kei remains ahead when on only 1 striker starts.

Saying Holt has been off the pace, and should have been sent off in two of his last three appearances, is not "nasty anti-Holt sentiment" in my view, it''s a reasonable and defendable view.I hope and believe he will turn it round and still has a decisive contribution to make, but he has been largely crap since the turn of the year.

Putting all the emotion aside around Grant Holt there are a few points raised by many on here which can not really be disputed.

He should have been given two red cards in recent games when coming on as substitute.

He certainly appears to have put on weight since last season which probably explains his apparent slowing in pace.

He has lost his sharpness in front of goal.

Open to question is his commitment to the club which has rewarded him foolishly (in hindsight) with a long contract. If you want a conspiracy you could think he is trying to work himself a transfer up north having moved his familly "home" and now showing more effort into getting himself sent off than scoring goals.

Its a shame to see a club legend end like this but this summer we need to unload him but cant think there will be many takers with the contract he is on. £6 million West Ham - a year too late I''m afraid.

Has to start the remainder of the games for me. He is the best we have and kamara is better coming on as an inpact player. Its disgracful how some people can turn against a genuine club legend. Short memories indeed.