Sign in to follow this  
Beefy is a legend

So many positives at this Club

Having just watched, and been hugely impressed, by the youth team''s win tonight, it just occurs to me how many things are going right with the Club right now.

RVW on the way, the Club''s debts completely cleared, 4pts above the crop zone and unbeaten in 6 home games, as well as an impressive crop of young players , I find it hard to believe that I heard shouts of ''Hughton, sort it out'' at FCR on Saturday.

I''ve seen posters on here describe our recent performances as ''woeful'' but I can think of nothing further from the truth. Certainly we have lacked attacking penetration, but we look absolutely committed and we''ve been getting in right at the defensive end for most of the season. ''Woeful'' was Charlton away 4 years ago, it was Colchester at home 3 years ago, it was the 4-1 home defeat that lead to Worthington''s dismissal. ''Uninspiring'' perhaps, but not woeful. We are still picking up regular points and we have a great chance to pick up the 1 win need next week against Reading.

Let''s stay realistic about the massive progress the Club has made, and make FCR a fortress because 4 or 5 points from the 3 remaining home games will surely be enough.

OTBC

I think uninspiring is a fair summary. This club, for all the scepticism that surrounds it (not as often misplaced as some would have you believe, in my opinion), is performing well.I think what is prompting a slight hint of a nervous tick amongst the fans is that we are travelling close to danger, and we''re fully aware that any lapse in concentration would be enough to push us over the precipice, and bring about relegation. On some level, i suspect an underlying concern amongst some of the contigent is that, while this would certainly deal no terminal blow to the club nor its hopes, that it may quell the confident mood that has coursed through its the vein during the past 3 years, and many have up until now taken for granted. That we are a ''club on the up''. Relegation would undeniably cause somewhat of a shift in our frame of mind, that many, including myself, would struggle to accept. Our current standing is not one we''ve been too familiar with over the past 20 years after all; it''s no surprise that when leaks start appearing in the ship at such a time, that fans are up in arms.Of course there''s no reason to be upset at the club or anything, none at all. The tangent we travel on as of this moment implies that any failures we experience are only failures by virtue of our earlier success. Therefore it almost goes without saying that, because of what we are accustomed to, no one can legitimately cry or be angry with any unfortunate fate we meet under present circumstances.Things ARE going wrong in one way or another, no matter how big or small, that much is true; 1 win in 8 at home, 1 win in 15 overall, points dropped at crucial moments, the seemly complacent tone of the players and staff, and the manner in which each performance has responded to the previous performance. Each, and there are more, represent factors open to question. These may, or may not, represent cracks or holes in the Canary vessel.And for as long as we travel close to the precipice (afterall a loss against Arsenal and we could be only but a single point from the relegation zone) hasty conclusions concerning each aspect of the club will continue to surface. These may be wrong, they may be right, but sure as eggs,  they''ll be there. And as one that perhaps naively dreads the thought that the club might lose this ''upward turn'', and also lose this opportunity to assert itelf on the highest stage, and realise what i have long dreamt for, and as i have come to appreciate the light so much during this blissful time in the spotlight that the darkness that awaits behind the stage curtains brings a chill to the bone, i will most certainly be a nervous wreck among these sceptical lot, inspecting, scrutinising, analysing, scanning, and criticising, every aspect of this club for as long as i have faith we can reach our dreams.Because fantastically unreal Hollywood plotlines are so much better than art house realities for the deluded among us (again, me included - as much as that analogy fails miserably at reflecting my movie tastes).

[quote user="John"]I think uninspiring is a fair summary. This club, for all the scepticism that surrounds it (not as often misplaced as some would have you believe, in my opinion), is performing well.I think what is prompting a slight hint of a nervous tick amongst the fans is that we are travelling close to danger, and we''re fully aware that any lapse in concentration would be enough to push us over the precipice, and bring about relegation. On some level, i suspect an underlying concern amongst some of the contigent is that, while this would certainly deal no terminal blow to the club nor its hopes, that it may quell the confident mood that has coursed through its the vein during the past 3 years, and many have up until now taken for granted. That we are a ''club on the up''. Relegation would undeniably cause somewhat of a shift in our frame of mind, that many, including myself, would struggle to accept. Our current standing is not one we''ve been too familiar with over the past 20 years after all; it''s no surprise that when leaks start appearing in the ship at such a time, that fans are up in arms.Of course there''s no reason to be upset at the club or anything, none at all. The tangent we travel on as of this moment implies that any failures we experience are only failures by virtue of our earlier success. Therefore it almost goes without saying that, because of what we are accustomed to, no one can legitimately cry or be angry with any unfortunate fate we meet under present circumstances.Things ARE going wrong in one way or another, no matter how big or small, that much is true; 1 win in 8 at home, 1 win in 15 overall, points dropped at crucial moments, the seemly complacent tone of the players and staff, and the manner in which each performance has responded to the previous performance. Each, and there are more, represent factors open to question. These may, or may not, represent cracks or holes in the Canary vessel.And for as long as we travel close to the precipice (afterall a loss against Arsenal and we could be only but a single point from the relegation zone) hasty conclusions concerning each aspect of the club will continue to surface. These may be wrong, they may be right, but sure as eggs,  they''ll be there. And as one that perhaps naively dreads the thought that the club might lose this ''upward turn'', and also lose this opportunity to assert itelf on the highest stage, and realise what i have long dreamt for, and as i have come to appreciate the light so much during this blissful time in the spotlight that the darkness that awaits behind the stage curtains brings a chill to the bone, i will most certainly be a nervous wreck among these sceptical lot, inspecting, scrutinising, analysing, scanning, and criticising, every aspect of this club for as long as i have faith we can reach our dreams.Because fantastically unreal Hollywood plotlines are so much better than art house realities for the deluded among us (again, me included - as much as that analogy fails miserably at reflecting my movie tastes).[/quote]Wow, long sentence guy... Started by an ''And'' of all things as well.

Two good counter pointing posts. I think context is all here. Our rise over the last 4 years has been remarkable by any standards. We are certainly in something of a dodgy stage at the moment but the overall picture is still remarkably healthy. I reckon we''ll have a few more buttock clenching moments in the coming weeks but will survive and then look forward to some tinkering in the summer and then onwards and upwards.

[quote user="dpit"]Two good counter pointing posts. I think context is all here. Our rise over the last 4 years has been remarkable by any standards. We are certainly in something of a dodgy stage at the moment but the overall picture is still remarkably healthy. I reckon we''ll have a few more buttock clenching moments in the coming weeks but will survive and then look forward to some tinkering in the summer and then onwards and upwards.[/quote]

Dodgy state Dippity?

Are you for real? Did you read the opening post? Have a bit of pride in your club!

I''m not a bit surprised this is left to drop down the board. While the top of the board is filled with the same old crap from the same old posters. Our club has massive respect everywhere except amongst some of our so called fans. The only thing dragging us down is the spoilt brat attitude of some of those fans and many of them post on here.

I''m sure they''ll be plenty of squealing because I''ve posted this so why don''t you start the ball rolling for the squealers and list the reasons our club is in a dodgy state?

Sorry Dippity. I misread stage for state. But my feelings about much of the rest remains the same.

Why is our club not something for us to take pride in?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Sorry Dippity. I misread stage for state. But my feelings about much of the rest remains the same.

[/quote]Nor do i reckon dpit would disagree with the sentiment as well.Likewise, i fail to recall anyone on this thread noting that they take anything less than full pride in a club they hold close to their hearts; moreover i can only see 3 fans, with as many ways shown in trying to embody the spirit to which they hold the club to affection.Reading through the comments on this article again Nutty your post seems somewhat out of place and unnecessary. I don''t see why you feel the need to ask that question in this crowd for one?

[quote user="John"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Nor do i reckon dpit would disagree with the sentiment as well.

Likewise, i fail to recall anyone on this thread noting that they take anything less than full pride in a club they hold close to their hearts; moreover i can only see 3 fans, with as many ways shown in trying to embody the spirit to which they hold the club to affection.

Reading through the comments on this article again Nutty your post seems somewhat out of place and unnecessary.

I don''t see why you feel the need to ask that question in this crowd for one?
[/quote]

No John. My real comment was that this thread has been left to fall down the board while the threads showing no pride in our club prosper at the top. By the same token my post would be deemed out of place if I''d drawn attention to this opening post on one of the many threads about how poor our players are, how none of our youth are good enough or how we are going to be relegated.

I apologised to dippity for misreading his post.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="John"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]Nor do i reckon dpit would disagree with the sentiment as well.Likewise, i fail to recall anyone on this thread noting that they take anything less than full pride in a club they hold close to their hearts; moreover i can only see 3 fans, with as many ways shown in trying to embody the spirit to which they hold the club to affection.Reading through the comments on this article again Nutty your post seems somewhat out of place and unnecessary. I don''t see why you feel the need to ask that question in this crowd for one?[/quote]

No John. My real comment was that this thread has been left to fall down the board while the threads showing no pride in our club prosper at the top. By the same token my post would be deemed out of place if I''d drawn attention to this opening post on one of the many threads about how poor our players are, how none of our youth are good enough or how we are going to be relegated.

I apologised to dippity for misreading his post.

[/quote]Forgive me for my interpretation was then similarly off, on who i assumed that question was directed at.

Good! Now we''re all friends again, how about a group hug?

Don''t forget though John, simply by using big words and a condescending tone it doesn''t make people think you are intelligent.

I but only stake a claim to being right, my intelligence is merely incidental.

Agreed Nutty. Sensible, balanced and rational posts do not tend to occupy ''top billing'' on the board. I suppose this is like the good news/bad news thing in the media. If it ain''t bad it ain''t news.

"Dodgy state". Indeed Nigel, you must stop looking for negatives amongst the positives! There are enough negative threads around without adding to them.

The club is of course going through a dodgy stage primarily down to the poor management of Mr. H out on.

[quote user="Vanwink"]"Dodgy state". Indeed Nigel, you must stop looking for negatives amongst the positives! There are enough negative threads around without adding to them. The club is of course going through a dodgy stage primarily down to the poor management of Mr. H out on.[/quote]

Is it?

Maybe you could expand on what''s so dodgy? Maybe you could expand on this poor management?

The future is indeed bright for Norwich and there is much to be positive about right now - RvW arrival in a few short months being the first of several impressive signings this summer I should imagine.

I firmly believe Norwich will avoid the drop, and everyone''s panicing will look over the top, as did much of the hand-wringing that went on last season; despite the club never really sailing that close to relegation. I suppose you can call it bad luck that some of the most winnable home games come in the last few fixtures and there is certainly plenty of available points to grab in the next 6 games or so. Of course, even with all this logical thinking it is impossible not to have doubts around Norwich''s safety - especially with goals so hard to get for the team this season. Even without the managerial change in the summer this was always going to be a more difficult season but Hughton has done an admirable job of stabalising things and will look to push on again in the summer. Norwich''s squad is clearly stronger than the one that finished last season and with Hughton able to have a whole summer to continue building I look forward to seeing who is in the first starting line-up next season (maybe this exciting potential is what makes the finish to this season even more tense, much more to lose that last season).

One thing is for certain though - come Monday Norwich will still be 4 points clear of the bottom 3 (Wigan have their FA Cup game this weekend).

[quote user="Vanwink"]"Dodgy state". Indeed Nigel, you must stop looking for negatives amongst the positives! There are enough negative threads around without adding to them.

The club is of course going through a dodgy stage primarily down to the poor management of Mr. H out on.[/quote]

Haha! Unveiled as the thin, veneer of foolishness that you are.

You never respond with any depth, and quality - more often than not just banding about silly insults and quips but you reveal yourself to be a bit silly in this one.

Norwich City FC. FC standing for ''Football Club''. This club happens to encompass the following:

A squad of professional football players lead by a professional manager and coaches.

An U21 ''development'' squad made up of graduates of our academy and signings of other youngsters with promise. Some have professional terms already, some do not.

Youth teams including the U18''s which were featured on ITV 4 on Wednesday, and are due to be again on ITV 4 on Tuesday in the 2nd leg of the FA Youth Cup.

Women''s teams up to and including the adult team.

The business element of the club, the board, the ground and everything that could be considered the financial side to the club including facilities.

Finally it also includes the fans.

So when anyone states that the club is in dodgy ground they need to be bloody specific or they are talking from orifices that rubbish is normally ejected from the body through.

Why?

Financially I think it is very difficult to argue that the club has been in a better position in any time in the last 20+ years or in better hands.

The academy looks to be doing well at this point in time at least with the U18''s and their cup run.

Infact why bother going into depth? The only thing people can even question is whether we should be in a better position this season. All they have to go on is last season, of which many of the reliable performers haven''t been this season.

People want entertaining football and think that it is an automatic way of avoiding relegation. Tell that to Blackpool.

People say that we are playing ''defensive'' football but appear to fail to recognise we are far from a Stoke or Sunderland or other teams that we have played that would rather cynically hack down players rather than wait to see if they do anything with the ball.

Lambert left, he thought he had better players and a better chance of a premier league career elsewhere. What does that say to you about what he felt of the squad he left behind. Of which our defence was Ward, Barnett, Ayala, R.Bennett, R.Martin and Tierney.

Even on last seasons performances you would have to say that only R.Martin was clearly good enough for a regular consistent premiership performance over the course of a season.

It was always going to be a tough year, Hughton said it, Lambert said it before he left, McNally said it, more pundits than I care to remember said it and the form book says it. Just look at Newcastle. Could have been playing Champions League football this season, but they are just as much in the doo doo as us and they have multi million pound players littered throughout their squad paid double our top earners.

We''d all love to be doing better, and realistically perhaps we should be. But easy quick fixes are often hard and rare to come by in football. Sometimes things just click as with Lambert, but sometimes it takes a little longer like Sir Alex.

Read the thread properly so that you fully understand what has been said before launching into your voluminous yet shallow reply!

There are positives, indeed - RvW  coming, and one or two other good signings. We are debt free, with a have a grade one academy and some promising youngsters at last.

But this is all on a knife edge. We need five or six points, and we are counting on getting them in the away game at Stoke, and home against Reading and Villa. - all these are going to make it hard for us, as they fight for their lives, and then WBA at home, where we ought to pick up one point at least. All this with our best goalkeeper by far still out after 5 months, and last year''s leading scorer mis-firing and ineffective.

All the expectations could turn to dust. So we need a mximum effort from the players, maximum support from fans - not turning to jeers or boos if things go wrong, and we need CH and his staff to conjure selections and tactics to help us over the line.

[quote user="Salopian"]

There are positives, indeed - RvW  coming, and one or two other good signings. We are debt free, with a have a grade one academy and some promising youngsters at last.

But this is all on a knife edge. We need five or six points, and we are counting on getting them in the away game at Stoke, and home against Reading and Villa. - all these are going to make it hard for us, as they fight for their lives, and then WBA at home, where we ought to pick up one point at least. All this with our best goalkeeper by far still out after 5 months, and last year''s leading scorer mis-firing and ineffective.

All the expectations could turn to dust. So we need a mximum effort from the players, maximum support from fans - not turning to jeers or boos if things go wrong, and we need CH and his staff to conjure selections and tactics to help us over the line.

[/quote]

I have seen nothing but maximum effort from the players. Even on Saturday they didn''t let their heads drop when they fell behind and never stopped believing they could win the game. I doubt we need many changes in selections. Who would you drop?  Who would you bring in? What tactics would you use or change?

What we get on here are a load of doubters who haven''t got any confidence in our club, it''s board, it''s football management or it''s football players. That must make it hard for those people to support them. Thankfully most of them don''t go near the club anyway. But if anybody is going, and feels they have to put on an act or make a special effort to give maximum support then maybe they''d be more use staying away...

As you say Nigel it is hard being a Norwich fan at the moment, and it''s also very frustrating to find us in this relegation fight, when there were games such as Reading away when some good substitutions could well have lead to us coming away with 3 points instead of 1

[quote user="Vanwink"]As you say Nigel it is hard being a Norwich fan at the moment, and it''s also very frustrating to find us in this relegation fight, when there were games such as Reading away when some good substitutions could well have lead to us coming away with 3 points instead of 1[/quote]

Hard being a Norwich fan at the moment???

If ya like!

Another thread with great potential ruined by petty in-fighting."So many positives at this Club" - shame this messageboard isn''t one of them.

Supporting Norwich,apart from the odd season,has always been hard Vanwink.

[quote user="Vanwink"]it is hard being a Norwich fan at the moment[/quote]That has to go down as one of the funniest/daftest/most stupid posts on this board EVER. [:D]                                  You should have kept it to commemorate something special, like your 1,000th post....sometime next week. [:$]                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Just reiterating Nigel''s point, and I agree with him on this one!

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Vanwink"]it is hard being a Norwich fan at the moment[/quote]

That has to go down as one of the funniest/daftest/most stupid posts on this board EVER. [:D]

You should have kept it to commemorate something special, like your 1,000th post....sometime next week. [:$]                                                                                                                            

[/quote]

Let me help with that Lapp as i am sure me popping up should be good for his post count.[:P]

[quote user="Vanwink"]"Dodgy state". Indeed Nigel, you must stop looking for negatives amongst the positives! There are enough negative threads around without adding to them.

The club is of course going through a dodgy stage primarily down to the poor management of Mr. H out on.[/quote]It''s H ''oot'' un

You should reply to the post and not the poster Tillly, you seem to make a habit of personal attacks when posters have a differing point of view to your own.

[quote user="Vanwink"]You should reply to the post and not the poster Tillly, you seem to make a habit of personal attacks when posters have a differing point of view to your own.[/quote]

Now then Winky it was once said on a staff appraisal of mine '' This man does not suffer fools gladly'' so make of that what you will because nothing will stop me responding to posters who i regard as such.I have many friends and made a lot of friends associated with this messageboard. You might regard what i post to you as a personal attack but over the last two weeks you have revealed yourself to be an odious little creep of little substance and the master of little one line snipes.

Get over yourself or man up and meet over a pint.