Sign in to follow this  
Beefy is a legend

Rule change

I wonder if any of you become as infuriated as me that when a side has a free-kick given against it, one of their players invariably picks up the ball and walks away with it to delay the kick being taken.

I think that once a side has been penalised, none of their players should be allowed to touch the ball - if they do it should be an immediate booking.

Thoughts?

There was a very-short-lived rule where if an opponent interfered with a free-kick, the ref would move the ball ten yards nearer towards their goal. I think it was literally for a season in the early 2000s

If they walk away with the ball, they should get a yellow card as it is. Same situation as kicking the ball away. However, any team can apparently kick the ball away 20/30 yards against us and get away with it, namely Dwight Tiendalli of Swansea.

[quote user="Beefy is a legend"]I wonder if any of you become as infuriated as me that when a side has a free-kick given against it, one of their players invariably picks up the ball and walks away with it to delay the kick being taken.

I think that once a side has been penalised, none of their players should be allowed to touch the ball - if they do it should be an immediate booking.

Thoughts?[/quote]

Agree entirely. I hate it when a Norwich City player does that.

I remember that one Chunky. It was a flavour of the month thing, like the 6 second rule for ''keepers. When was the last time you saw a keeper punished for holding the ball for 20 seconds?

I remember the 10 yard penalty - I think that was given for dissent sometimes. What seems to have happened is that now players know they mustn''t kick the ball away, they simply grab hold of it and won''t give it back. I''ve seen our players do it as well and I don''t like it. When a team is fouled, they should gain all the benefits of that - by delaying the free-kick the offending team is clearly gaining an advantage. It needs to be stamped out.

Technically it could be a yellow card; time wasting, interfering with play, kicking the ball away, poor sportmanship

But, as we know the FA has no balls, so players get away with everything

We (Refs) use that in Rugby, where we move play onwards 10 yds. As an ex-player, I used to hate it, and never moaned if I wasn''t clever enough to avoid the Ref''s wrath if I was trying to do it!

quote user="AJ"]Technically it could be a yellow card; time wasting, interfering with play, kicking the ball away, poor sportmanship But, as we know the FA has no balls, so players get away with everything /quote

very true AJ, and the FA has a lot of those things that those balls hang around with in their ranks [:D]

Or when the referee has deemed a player has blatantly dived an immediate penalty kick is awarded in favour of the opponents. Watch how quickly "diving" disappears off the radar. Alternatively, if a player lies on the ground writhing in mock agony, the referee should immediately halt the match, a red carpet should be rolled out to the player and he should be taken to the sideline in a wheelbarrow, presented with an Oscar statuette and sent from the stadium immediately to an acting academy to hone his apparent skills for a four week period without pay.

The only problem with that Yankee is that the ref could get it wrong, and the error is compounded by giving a penalty to the other side incorrectly. Now if TV reviews were allowed...

That''s true Beefy, the ref could get it wrong. The officials, despite all of their good intentions ( bless their hearts ) do get things wrong every weekend, not the least of which are offside calls that were clearly not when the ball was played. However, diving is a stain on the wonderful game of football. My point, even if it is tongue in cheek, is that if football really wanted to do something about that stain then firmer action could be instituted that would rectify the problem. Incidentally, I see diving and mock writhing in agony as all part of the same "stain."

The referee should carry 3 cards.......a red, a yellow......and an equity card, for the best player auditioning for ''just been shot by the stadium sniper'' after tripping/stumbling over a wayward balloon.....and then rolling and writhing from one side of the pitch to the other....

No reason why the ref can''t book a player for doing this already. If a player stands in front of a freekick and refuses to go back 10 yards, then he can be booked, in the same way he can be booked for this already. It is extremely unlikely that this will be the case unless it''s something cynical like stopping a quick freekick when the attacking team are in a really clear goalscoring situation.

As for the 10 yard rule, I think that was scrapped because it was only really ever useful if you were 35-40 yards out. Any further away and it didn''t make much difference anyway as you were only going to put a ball in the box. Any closer than 30 yards and it ended up taking you too close to the box - at 30 yards you can get the ball up over the wall and back down. If you''re only 20 yards out, it''s actually a lot harder to score from because you have far less time to get the ball back down again. But going from 35/40 (maybe too far out) to 25/30 would have been useful, but it''s only for a very few freekicks.

What about the one where officials give decisions for things that never happened?

I''m sure it says in the rule book if you don''t see it you don''t make a decision. So, the linesman couldn''t POSSIBLY see if it was a corner or not, therefore the REF (in a better position) has to make that choice